Town Hall Barrel Week 2016

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mothman, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FourBetter

FourBetter Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota

Serendipity is a great morning beer... I'll have some.

2. chrisp450

chrisp450 Aspirant (258) Oct 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

Anyone there yet? How's the line looking?

3. Tyecko

Tyecko Disciple (364) Mar 19, 2014 Minnesota

FYI, I stopped in at 11:30 and they still had tickets for all beers for the trois vie series, e.t. Wee, and maple brownstone.

4. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,639) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I believe you mean except for those three?

5. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (588) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Yes, for sure that. I got the 2nd to last Maple and the guy behind me got the last. There were no Trois Vie left when I purchased.

6. Tyecko

Tyecko Disciple (364) Mar 19, 2014 Minnesota

Oops! Sorry, yes except for those 3

7. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota

I've had many year+ old growlers from TH and never had an issue. Recently opened one from last year (foolish angel) and it was excellent.

8. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Disciple (375) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I would agree, with one notable exception - last year's Twisted Trace mini growlers did not age well AT ALL. It's one of my favorite beers of all time, and I bought two of them. I opened one a few months later, and it tasted really "off". I had one in January that was a drain pour. I don't know what happened to it, the others I've had - some for over a year - have all held up really well.

9. Nivek43

Nivek43 Initiate (101) Mar 22, 2012 Minnesota

Last year's twisted trace was the only bad growler from them that I've had. The bottom circle had a semi-circle blown off of it and the beer leaked out. Don't know exactly when it happened relative to me finding the mess, but the box underneath the growler was damp and smelled like Twisted Trace. This was about 3 months after buying it. I think it was a glass defect, otherwise I have no idea how a perfect semi-circle could result from that. I should of taken a picture and gotten a refund like other people did.

Other than that, all my BA TH growlers have aged perfectly.

10. maximum12

Society Trader

Interesting. A friend in Florida just opened his Twisted Trace last weekend & said it was fantastic. I kind of wondered how the big-mouth growlers would hold up. Sounds like some did better than others.

11. FourBetter

FourBetter Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota

I opened one (Twisted Trace from 15) and shared it about a month ago and it was great. Sounds like those types of 'growlers' had a lot of variance or were extremely sensitive to changes in temperature or different storage method. Glad they went away from them this year.

12. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Picked up a ticket for Twisted Trace at lunch time today. Most everything other than what was mentioned above was still available!

13. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (215) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

Did any of the Trois Vies series survive the night?

14. will1256

will1256 Disciple (332) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

I second this question. Hoping to stop by this afternoon.

15. MNBeerGeek

Trader

I left around 9:30 and they were all going. That's all I can say. Barleywine and Quad are excellent. Tripel is decent. Stout is maybe the worst TH beer I've had. I absolutely hate to knock them, but something went wrong there.

16. jakemn91

jakemn91 Crusader (762) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

I wouldn't say the stout was terrible, but it was my least favorite. I thought the wine notes really muddled the stout flavors and took away everything I enjoy in an imperial Stout. I enjoyed the Barleywine quite a bit. The tripel was solid. I only had a couple sips of the quad, but it was enjoyable too.

17. MNBeerGeek

Trader

To be fair, the worst town hall beer I've had is still ok. I doubt that was their intended outcome though. To me, it was an out of balance sour wine flavor with overly ashy stout.

18. Benj68

Benj68 Initiate (49) Apr 9, 2015 Minnesota

The Mango Habanero Masala Mama is great. Not BA, obviously, but I believe they tapped it on Sunday.

mothman and MNBeerGeek like this.
  19. jakemn91

jakemn91 Crusader (762) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

I agree with your description: "out of balance sour wine flavor"

MNBeerGeek likes this.
  20. Schlais

Schlais Aspirant (260) Sep 28, 2011 Minnesota

I haven't had Trois Vies stout yet, but everyone's description reminds of Double Barrel Jack Frost from a few years ago

21. Overrated77

Overrated77 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2015 Minnesota

People are checking them in on Untappd now, so it appears they are still on....for now

22. jawzman

jawzman Initiate (79) Mar 20, 2010 Minnesota

I think I'm in the minority with the stout... I got a deep meaty flavor and smokiness, balanced out by the brighter notes from the wine barrel. It's wasn't fantastic, but it was unique and challenged my palate to figure it out.

23. maximum12

Society Trader

I thought the Tripel was fantastic & the Stout the least favorite of mine. The barrels seemed relatively light & seemed more & more subdued as I worked my way through the Tripel, Quad, BW, & Stout.

That Tripel is one of the best barrel-aged Tripels I've had. A bit boozier version of Allagash Curieux to me.

eawolff99 likes this.
  24. nograz

nograz Disciple (390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Surprised to find out they still have some tickets. Only for Foolish Angel, Cuvee if Consenquence and Project 3106.

25. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (8,439) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I agree, one of the worst TH beers out of the 200+ that I have tried. Very bummed about this one. The others were solid/great, however!

26. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (8,439) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Tasted like delicious beer salsa! Such a cool beer!

jawzman likes this.
  27. jawzman

jawzman Initiate (79) Mar 20, 2010 Minnesota

Agreed. I typically hate chills in beer, especially the spicy ones... This was an exception, the Habenero was added with a deft hand.

Ungertaker likes this.
  28. psychotia

psychotia Disciple (304) Jun 27, 2009 Wisconsin

I'll add my impressions so far. The Trois Vie 3 (Barleywine) is incredible! Rich caramel and toffee meets bourbon and a hint of cherries/currant. No 2 (quad) was amazing on my first sip, but then I had No 3... No 1 is also good, I agree with Max12, best tripel in whiskey barrels I can recall.

The Cuvée of Consequence is alright, but for my tastes it is too orangey-spicy... I'd like a spice tone-down and a touch, nay much, more wine character.

Up next is Foolish Angel... Though it'll be hard to top Trois Vie 3 (aka TV3)!

29. psychotia

Foolish Angel, what I expected... Solid Belgian malt and yeast character cranked to 11 with rich caramelized dark fruit and clove, doused in a healthy serving of Woodford and Blanton's. Very good. I didn't get any growlers on Sunday, but very happy to pick one of these up. Wish it was TV3, but lo, it's just damn good TH beer!! Excited to see what else is to come this week...

Btw, growlers still available for Foolish Angel, Cuvee of Consequence, and Project 3106 (3106 was excellent 1-2 years ago).

30. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Aspirant (249) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Any update on what's still flowing from pervious days?

31. capturejack

capturejack Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Minnesota

Last night everything was still on.

32. ChiBeerBelly

ChiBeerBelly Initiate (63) Jan 19, 2014 Illinois

That's good to know cause I'll be up there on Saturday and wanted to try some especially the Maple Brownstone.

33. capturejack

capturejack Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Minnesota

To clarify, each day different things are tapped and then kept on until they blow. The maple brownstone gets tapped Friday at 5pm.

34. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,808) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Does anyone have experience on what it is like early Saturday? Can a guy find a seat at the bar?

35. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Devotee (469) Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota

I went last year on Saturday around noon, plenty of tables, however, there are some hockey events on campus, so might add a little traffic. Ive made the same assumption, Apparently not many people go out to bars at noon on a Saturday, apparently some people like to be "productive"

sembo, morimech and maximum12 like this.
  36. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

I went last year on Saturday mid afternoonish. It was mostly full, but seating was available.

morimech likes this.
  37. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Aspirant (266) Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Everything as of 4:45 today

38. ChiBeerBelly

ChiBeerBelly Initiate (63) Jan 19, 2014 Illinois

Yeah I won't be getting into town until Saturday, hope they still have some left by then.

39. psychotia

Dunno if this is the first time they did this, but having flights of three BA beers for 11ish was a great call. I want to taste all of these beers if possible, but between me and my wife, we can't order 13oz of each 7-11% beer. So last night we got a sampler, a couple 13oz-ers, and called it good. My observation last night was many others are doing the same thing. I think the BA sampler option is allowing these kegs to last longer than in previous years!

maximum12 likes this.
  40. psychotia

I hate to say it, but in my experience, a barrel-aged STOUT release tends to generate more hype, getting more people out to the brewery/bar. I bet this weekend will be comfortably busy for TH. That said, Twisted Trace is a proven rockstar, so I could be markedly incorrect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.