Trade Value Thread (TVT) Quarter 4 2018

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by blkhawk14, Oct 2, 2018.

1. blkhawk14

blkhawk14 Initiate (89) Nov 14, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Winter is coming, or some other generic overused winter analogy. Anyways, its quarter 4 so lets re-start this:

The guidelines for this are the following:
    1. Under no circumstances should cash value, offers to exchange cash for beer, offers to exchange beer for cash, offers to exchange cash for prime grade A sirloin or really anything involving cash at all be mentioned. This will lock the thread immediately and you will be shamed. If you have to use a reference, I would recommend the gold standard of RVRU (relative vanilla rye units)
    2. Don't be vague. No one really knows if you're ISO or FT. No beer has a singular value, so asking "what can I get with X?" will result with a million answers. "What does it take to land Y?" Again please help give us an idea of what you have FT or where about you're at to give an idea of locals, etc.
    3. The purpose of this thread is to help users out and introduce some dialogue and conversation into the merits of a particular proposed trade. It is meant to help users new and old and be a bit more dynamic than the "completed trades" section.
    4. Have fun with this!

2. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (110) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

Damon FBV + Florence Puncheon get close to 2016 + 2018 assassin?

Does Damon + 1 of (Fou 17, FO b3) get close?

Same questions for any year KBBS or SR-71.

3. blkhawk14

Trader

Ehh your best shot there is gonna be with Damon+FO or Fou with both assassins but I think it still may be a bit short. KBBS and SR-71 are a fair margin above both assassins

4. Michaelpro824

Trader

Thanks. Even with this years SR and impending (probably) KBBS?

5. blkhawk14

Trader

Yup. Not sure about this years KBBS but this years SR is a good RVRU above both assassins combined

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  6. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (414) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

If you were literally trading VRs for SR71, It'd take 5 or 6.

If you're trading other beers, the degree to which VR units apply depends greatly on the beer.

Approximately the same for KBBS, although the degree to which this year's KBBS will affect KBBS value is unknown. It's not this year's MD aged, but a past year. So, who knows how that will play into this. But, in general you should expect KBBS to be "around" the same value as SR71. By that I literally just mean that if you aren't in the range for SR71, you're not in the range for KBBS (or vice versa).

Michaelpro824 likes this.
  7. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I haven't seen much close on Damon, but most of the offers (on both sides until about 24 hours ago with a couple large asks by those with Damon FT) have been around 1.25-1.5 VRs, which is "around" That of Assassin (2016 and 2018, although 2018 a little less than 16).

blkhawk14 and Michaelpro824 like this.
  8. Michaelpro824

Trader

Thanks, that’s kind of what I was expecting to hear.

Looks like 2 of my bottles also comes up a little short on Maman?

9. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (26) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

Think that depends on the year of the Maman. I've seen Damon FBV close 1:1 with 2018 Maman once for sure on FB, possibly a second time too but can't remember for sure. Also very early on Maman 2018 so not stating that these are the values. Just that it is definitely possible.

10. Beer_Economicus

Trader

If memory serves, 2017 Maman shortly after release was not terribly far above VR/Prop14 Value. Buuuuut, as time went on that changed, and the value of 2017 has been quite higher in the past few months.

I'd expect Maman 2018 to drop the value of Maman again (specifically 2018, of course). If they made as much as the most recent BAA release, I'd expect value to certainly drop.

If someone is on the hunt for Maman, I'd certainly wait until the release to see where value settles unless you already feel you are getting a fair shake. Not an advocate for "winning," but I am an advocate for fairness, and this is one of those cases where pre-trading is likely to lead to overpaying based on history.

putonyourwalkingshoes and TylerJ like this.
  11. sverseman

sverseman Initiate (129) Aug 31, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Looking for some feedback on the trade value of the following beers. I am looking to move these to clear up some room in the cellar. These are all b1 bottles.

Fuzzy, blue berry Flanders, blanc de blancs, Unblended #40, unblended #25, la fosse, thicket, smooth, balaton, punchdown, raspe,
    Pitter patter or blended

What u think I could ask for with this? Srb1 or kbbs b3? Monster tones? Twcp maman? Am I way off? Not sure on the value of b1’s

12. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (74) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I am looking for the deGarde and Side Project Collaborations:
    The Floue Floue
    Baies & Arbres
    Saison Desay: Pinot Noir Barrel Aged
    Saison Desay: Chardonnay Barrel Aged

Is a Pulling Nails #8 a start? I've heard the bottom 2 might be ghosts at this point?

13. blkhawk14

Trader

The bottom two are ghosts that have somehow been killed again and then buried under 100 feet of concrete. Kidding but definitely not too many of those floating around. For the first two (and other high end DG bottles) PN #8 is a great start

14. OakvilleKGB

Trader

A great start with what ratio?

15. blkhawk14

Trader

I'd think you could easily get the first two with another respectable bottle (BT3/4)? but its been a bit of an echo chamber with me today so I'd welcome others input

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  16. lewith

lewith Initiate (97) Jul 13, 2017 South Carolina
    Trader

Have dangled the '18 Coconaughty set and Mexican Coffee Cake (non Reserva) for a BAA and gotten crickets thus far.

How far off am I (either in terms of RVRU or comparable bottles)?

17. blkhawk14

Trader

For whatever reason of this set isn't getting much attention or pull despite proven track records Im seeing sets at or slightly below 1 RVRU whereas BAA is closer to 1.5 (MAAAYBE 2 depending on vintage) RVRU. Same goes for medianoche sets which just dont seem to have the traction or attention I expected/they deserve

putonyourwalkingshoes and lewith like this.
  18. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I assume the infections last year hurt this years' release(s).

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  19. blkhawk14

Trader

Was gonna say something about this but they addressed issue and were upfront about it. Also didn't seem to hurt maman 2017 value....

20. Beer_Economicus

Trader

They definitely were, but I think the fact that it happened multiple times in the same year to multiple beer releases. Not being isolated to a single release hurts I think. Same with JOs. They have been a bit plagued by it. Brad has not been on the board in the JO thread for some time too, which does not help.

Regarding the differences between WW and Perennial, two things:

1) Maman not "really" being around for 2 years until the 2017 release makes a long lauded and daughter after beer (more so than the medianoche's) even more valuable.
    2) It's a beer from a Brewery with a long track record.
    3) Anything stout-wise that Cory ever touched I suspect will always recoup value. With appropriate declines based on subsequent releases, larger bottle counts, etc.

Just my take, of course.

TylerJ, OakvilleKGB and blkhawk14 like this.
  21. OakvilleKGB

Trader

Should I be able to fetch a Baies & Arbres with a 750mL Cantillon Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru?

22. Fermented-nate

Fermented-nate Initiate (60) Sep 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Bourbon is foreign territory for me, especially when it comes to trading for beer, so bare with me. Would Mornin Delight B5 pull a bottle of Brooker's Kentucky Chew? Off on either side? Any help is appreciated!

LGHT likes this.
  23. blkhawk14

Trader

If the allocation is anything like past md will get you close if not there

24. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (329) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

As much as I love SP sours I dont think them being b1 would shoot the value up all that much. I traded well for b2 AdF and it was so mediocre. Who knows how some of these are tasting with many years on them. Doubtful anyone is giving up those huge bottles you are asking for even with the volume.

blkhawk14 likes this.
  25. gibgink

gibgink Champion (828) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Keep the PN8. The only thing you will get by trading it is disappointment when you realize what you gave away(I'm assuming you've had it) is so much better than what you got for it.

26. atl_mandm

atl_mandm Initiate (30) Apr 9, 2018 Georgia
    Trader

whereabouts does dark lord de muerte sit in compared to VR units? I would like to track one down but not sure where to start as they dont seem to trade too often

27. OakvilleKGB

Trader

I had a friend's group do a big share and no one enjoyed the Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord de Muerte 2015 that they opened FYI

atl_mandm likes this.
  28. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (5,056) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Chipotle Spaghetti-os!

And I'm still looking forward to opening mine on unsuspecting friends :rofl:

29. atl_mandm

atl_mandm Initiate (30) Apr 9, 2018 Georgia
    Trader

haha I appreciate the heads up! that is unfortunate? too spicy? or overall just an unbalanced bad beer?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  30. 12ArmedGoon

12ArmedGoon Initiate (36) Sep 28, 2016 Kansas
    Trader

Has anyone seen any Atrial Magnums move recently? If so, what's the VRU for b8? I've seen a couple ISO on here, but I'm not sure if they're closing.

31. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (44) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Do you think J Wake MM + Cuvee could land me a MD5? Been iso it for a long time

32. blkhawk14

Trader

prolly yeah

OakvilleKGB and spersichilli like this.
  33. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (44) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Cool thanks. Figure that’s just a little over dollar value too so I’m not giving up TOO much on my side

34. marshy21

marshy21 Initiate (36) Mar 9, 2018 Texas
    Trader

As far as I can tell it's around 1.25 - 1.5 VRs. You looking to get rid of one or ISO?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  35. Slack

Slack Champion (845) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Looking to land a KBBS. How does this compare:
    George T Stag
    Clover
    Midnight Still Coconut 17

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  36. blkhawk14

Trader

3:1?

37. blkhawk14

Trader

And is stagg most recent year?

38. 12ArmedGoon

12ArmedGoon Initiate (36) Sep 28, 2016 Kansas
    Trader

I have one, but I'm not sure what I'm doing with it just yet...

39. Slack

Slack Champion (845) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Yes and 2017

blkhawk14 likes this.
  40. blkhawk14

Trader

it may get you close but the dramatic jump in production/allocation for stagg 17 dropped its value considerably compared to past years which may place you short

Slack likes this.