1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. cfh64

cfh64 Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

old ipa's as extras, worhless.

sarro, JxExM, dcloeren and 4 others like this.
  2. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Trader's with too many pet peeves

JavaNoire likes this.
  3. AldoRaine

AldoRaine Aug 5, 2012 Prince Edward Island (Canada)

I think BA fixed that for you.

claaark13 likes this.
  4. nlmartin

nlmartin Jul 26, 2005 Ohio

I think I love you in a total heterosexual way.

5. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Dec 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Tape (of any kind) on bubble wrap. Myself and others have posted about this ad nauseum but I guess not enough because the problem persists. There is no need for tape on bubble wrap. PERIOD. Use rubber bands.
    End rant

6. jlflorance

jlflorance Jun 17, 2012 Pennsylvania

Definitely tape on bubble wrap.

7. UNCCTDawg

UNCCTDawg Nov 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've got this one twice recently...
    My post~~ ISO: Baller Sout &/or Better Half FT: Evil Twin Biscotti &/or Lil' B
    The response I get is this:
    "I see that on your Gots list you have a GI King Henry & CBS. I'd do Baller Stout or Better Half for the King Henry & CBS. Let me know."

Come on man... if it's not on the ISO:FT post, don't bother

ChanChan, alwaysanswerb and barfdiggs like this.
  8. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I don't know about this, scotch tape comes off very easily. Now packing tape is another story. Do the rubber bands pop the bubbles at all? Popped bubble wrap is not a good thing.

9. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

Me-"Looking for BCBS and varients, have X trade. Will go above $4$ within reason"

Prospective Trader: "Darkness, Boris Royal and 3 KBS for a BCBCS?"

Me-"No."

10. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

No.

11. hoppy99

hoppy99 Feb 28, 2009 Florida

Recipients who don't let you know as soon as they possibly can that your box arrived with contents intact.

12. mikecharley

mikecharley Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Shitty communication has to be my #1 pet peeve as far as trading goes. I can't stand when it takes people multiple days, or even a week to get back to you confirming the trade, or replying in general.

13. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

in case the overall gist of this slipped by, i want to point out that if someone doesn't get back to you but has edited in "this is closed, barraged with messages, sorry if i don't get back to you," i can't see any reason to be annoyed with them, much less call them out publicly. sure, "it only takes a minute to reply," but it also only takes a second to press refresh.

JavaNoire, 7clutch, libbey and 2 others like this.
  14. ipa247

ipa247 Dec 23, 2008 California

People who have been on here for less than a year that I have never heard of calling out excellent traders by name for reasons completely unworthy of a call out. Yeah that really annoys me.

JavaNoire, 7clutch, robinsmv and 9 others like this.
  15. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

You think it's easy on the lemurs? Have a heart, man.

ewright and cavedave like this.
  16. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

17. huskermike12

huskermike12 Nov 14, 2011 Vermont

I had to use a box cutter and 8 throwing stars to get to the beers you sent me. Insert emoticon of laughing face here. I tape the crap out of everything and am quite grumpy as well. FYI to future trade partners - Pack however the hell you want to get my beers to me without breaking.

JavaNoire, JxExM, gklover1 and 13 others like this.
  18. AndresR

AndresR Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

ISO: PtY <-------- Those guys.

19. evilc

This.

I pack crazy - lots of tape. Since *I* am the one on the hook for maybe $100 worth of beer - if you want to bitch about me taping the shit out of bubble wrap - put me on ignore and don't trade with me again. I pack shit to make it. You can lecture me about rubber bands, whatever - eat me. =) My goal is for the trade to succeed. Be a princess and cut the tape, thanks.

20. evilc

My kind of trader. Oh wah, I had to cut tape. I lost 20 seconds of my life.

JavaNoire likes this.
  21. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Haha, to all of you tape vs. rubber bands folks, it takes too long to take the rubber bands off also!;)

Do like I do and artfully use enough bubble wrap so tape and rubber bands both are unnecessary. If you can wrap without needing either of those things, you are sure that you have enough protection.

vurt and MarkIntihar like this.
  22. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

I feel you, but I just can't bring myself to make 8-12 bubblewrap swans or rhinoceri...when a couple layers with a conservative amount of tape will do the job in half the time. Even belgiuminabox and etre use tape...

23. HopsintheSack

Beer Trader

This hobby is already going to cost you, so why not just use shipper boxes? Less tape, little to zero bubble wrap, and easily reusable.

If everyone kept and reused shippers, one day the trading market would be saturated with them. No one would have to buy boxes and bubble wrap again.

24. HopsintheSack

Beer Trader

Like a where'sgeorge type of shipping tracker......I like it.

Even if they never make it back around, it makes more sense to me to spend 2-3 extra dollars and not have to spend the time wrapping bottles and ultimately feel like the bottles are safer in transit.

JavaNoire likes this.
  25. cavedave

Beer Trader

Haha, sounds like you should be the one to do it.

MordorMongo likes this.
  26. Keith238

Keith238 Jul 31, 2007 New Jersey

Great idea. Had to swoop in and take the reins on this one, hope you don't mind. I just hope people get the joke and I don't have to spend the next few days cleaning out a shit load of BMs! Watch the thread for the results: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/iso-the-best-beer-in-your-collection.37149/

MordorMongo and cavedave like this.
  27. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I saw that thread and laughed. Should have known that Mongo started all these shenanigans.

JxExM and MordorMongo like this.
  28. cavedave

Beer Trader

robinsmv and MordorMongo like this.
  29. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

You know, at first I was thinking maybe this was an exaggeration. Then I checked the ISO:FT Forum and the 2nd thread I saw was one looking for PiaPT and other beers from the Bruery Christmas series for west coast growlers and shelf beers.

MordorMongo likes this.
  30. huskermike12

huskermike12 Nov 14, 2011 Vermont

That Mimosa ISO might be the impetus the bros need to turn comments back on.

31. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Solution to all these issues.......just have one or two regular trading partners and then you won't have to worry about any of this shit.

32. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I don't care if someone is trying to sell the million dollar banana (all you gotta do is sell one!) on FT:ISO. If you get over on some poor newb schmuck, congratulations, your brand new box of shit karma will be waiting under the tree for you.

What peeves me about the current format is someone can make a 'mistake' - like claiming their FT was never bottled when in fact it was - and not get called out for it.

33. Keith238

Keith238 Jul 31, 2007 New Jersey

LOL, I'm here. Not sure why it was zapped, maybe "not specific enough" or it was pre-emptive to avoid a shit storm of flaming. I don't know but I had a good laugh. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

cavedave likes this.
  34. cavedave

Beer Trader

LambicKing likes this.
  35. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Old IPA's as extras for sure. I traded with a guy about a year and a half ago for a Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. He was local to FB and told me he had easy access to this beer. Yet, he still requested way, way over $4$ (most of which i declined since some of it was so ridiculous). I finlly agreed since I was dying to try this beer. People also jumped all over the thread encouraging me to "hook him up" because he was such a good trader. I sent him a loaded box, and included a nice Great Lakes Oktoberfest t-shirt since his profile said he liked t-shirts as extras. Dude sent me the MBCP and a single Jai Alai that was at least 8 months old as an extra. Total malt bomb. While I understand and agree with the whole "extras are extras" idea, this guy kind of pissed me off.

alwaysanswerb and smutty33 like this.
  36. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

*Old IPAs as extras
    *Someone sending you a crappy extra that they don't even get in their market
    *Sending a nice box, and extras and then having to follow up with someone 2-3 days after it was delivered to make sure they received it
    *Any type of poor communication

37. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

Well, it should be incumbent upon the person who engages the OP to know about the beer they are trading for. If you lie about how you got your growler filled, then that could be bad. But a trader shouldn't just take an OP's word as gospel. OP would be a jerk regardless, but the trader does bear responsibility for their own course of conduct, too.

38. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

100% agree. It is annoying to see the ISO: rare beer FT: list of beers I can buy of the shelf year around.

This means either the trader is completely ignorant of what they are trading for, or they are just phishing for a sap. Post 1000 times FT: 2 hearted ISO: Rare, you might just land one.

39. Photekut

Photekut Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

Maybe if it was a growler of 2 Hearted... :eek: or even better a twice traded growler of 2 Hearted...:eek::eek:

nanobrew likes this.
  40. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

This. A well packed box should be tight enough as is without the need for tape or rubber bands around the bubble wrap. If your bottles are moving around enough that you're worried about the bubble wrap sliding off, you have bigger issues...

cavedave and domtronzero like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!