1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

Sad thing is that was posted after my rant and wasn't even fodder for my rage.

2. huskermike12

huskermike12 Nov 14, 2011 Vermont

That Mimosa ISO might be the impetus the bros need to turn comments back on.

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Solution to all these issues.......just have one or two regular trading partners and then you won't have to worry about any of this shit.

4. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I don't care if someone is trying to sell the million dollar banana (all you gotta do is sell one!) on FT:ISO. If you get over on some poor newb schmuck, congratulations, your brand new box of shit karma will be waiting under the tree for you.

What peeves me about the current format is someone can make a 'mistake' - like claiming their FT was never bottled when in fact it was - and not get called out for it.

5. Keith238

Keith238 Jul 31, 2007 New Jersey

LOL, I'm here. Not sure why it was zapped, maybe "not specific enough" or it was pre-emptive to avoid a shit storm of flaming. I don't know but I had a good laugh. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

cavedave likes this.
  6. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

LambicKing likes this.
  7. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Old IPA's as extras for sure. I traded with a guy about a year and a half ago for a Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. He was local to FB and told me he had easy access to this beer. Yet, he still requested way, way over $4$ (most of which i declined since some of it was so ridiculous). I finlly agreed since I was dying to try this beer. People also jumped all over the thread encouraging me to "hook him up" because he was such a good trader. I sent him a loaded box, and included a nice Great Lakes Oktoberfest t-shirt since his profile said he liked t-shirts as extras. Dude sent me the MBCP and a single Jai Alai that was at least 8 months old as an extra. Total malt bomb. While I understand and agree with the whole "extras are extras" idea, this guy kind of pissed me off.

alwaysanswerb and smutty33 like this.
  8. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

*Old IPAs as extras
    *Someone sending you a crappy extra that they don't even get in their market
    *Sending a nice box, and extras and then having to follow up with someone 2-3 days after it was delivered to make sure they received it
    *Any type of poor communication

9. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

Well, it should be incumbent upon the person who engages the OP to know about the beer they are trading for. If you lie about how you got your growler filled, then that could be bad. But a trader shouldn't just take an OP's word as gospel. OP would be a jerk regardless, but the trader does bear responsibility for their own course of conduct, too.

10. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

100% agree. It is annoying to see the ISO: rare beer FT: list of beers I can buy of the shelf year around.

This means either the trader is completely ignorant of what they are trading for, or they are just phishing for a sap. Post 1000 times FT: 2 hearted ISO: Rare, you might just land one.

11. Photekut

Photekut Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

Maybe if it was a growler of 2 Hearted... :eek: or even better a twice traded growler of 2 Hearted...:eek::eek:

nanobrew likes this.
  12. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

This. A well packed box should be tight enough as is without the need for tape or rubber bands around the bubble wrap. If your bottles are moving around enough that you're worried about the bubble wrap sliding off, you have bigger issues...

cavedave and domtronzero like this.
  13. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Jan 28, 2011 Ohio

To me, the job of the person I'm trading with is to get me the beer safely. Nothing more. I don't get bent outta shape if the bubble wrap is taped as long as I get my beers. It's nice to be able to re-use materials, but it's not a deal-breaker for me if I can't.

ChanChan, smutty33, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

I use the rubber bands to hold it in place while I fold over the top and bottom and then wrap a few bottles all tightly together in shrink wrap. I don't think the rubber band is needed, but it serves a purpose for me. I assure you once they are wrapped the bubble wrap isn't going ANYWHERE. I love making beer bricks, and knock on wood, no breakage or issues thus far. ;)

MarkIntihar and cavedave like this.
  15. MarkIntihar

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue (really) with people who use it, but I've seen an instance or two where it was completely overdone, which can get a little frustrating when it takes about an hour to unpack a box.

In a perfect world, everyone would ship with styro/double wall shippers. For the record, I've never used more than one piece of tape per bottle on bubble wrap (unless previously cocooned by another trader) and I've never had any breakage issues either. :D

16. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

FT: List. ISO: List
    Views: 367498394096894

17. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Seriously? I can unpack a taped to hell CASE of beer ( individually taped bottles ) in about 5 minutes. Want me to post a video of how to do it? :)

18. MarkIntihar

No, but thanks for your condescension. I would say "it was just an exaggeration", but I have a feeling you already know that.

It honestly did take me about half an hour to unpack a box one time, because my trading partner (bless his heart) decided to tape around pretty much the entire bottle, and I'm not really one to waste/ruin perfectly good bubble wrap by slicing it to pieces.

libbey, LambicKing and Shagtastic like this.
  19. evilc

You should see how I pack growlers. An NFL kicker couldn't break it thanks do all the taped bubble wrap.

20. MarkIntihar

You're completely missing the point about tape. Or just choosing to ignore it. Either way, I told my boss I'd be in early tomorrow and I should probably quit arguing about something so pointless and just go to sleep.

21. pschul4

pschul4 Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Rubber bands dood, saves ur partner from some unpleasantness. Taping it up always makes it unpleasant for your partner

22. evilc

No complaints - in fact always the opposite "most well packed I've ever received" "thanks for the awesome packing job for that long journey ".

Ain't fixin' what ain't broke!

I receive boxes the same way and have no issues or complaints with taped bubble wrap. 5 min tops. I'd never complain that a partner took their time.

pschul4 likes this.
  23. pschul4

pschul4 Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

24. evilc

I mean - I don't mummify the damn thing - always easy to rip the bottle out =)

pschul4 likes this.
  25. glitchedmind

glitchedmind May 8, 2012 California

A pair of box cutters will solve the dillema of thirty five cents in bubble wrap and tape "wasted".
    It may not be reused to wrap bottles, but it is used as fluffing inside the box.

Package your box however you feel is the best way to get it to me undamaged. You want to throw a ninja sword carrying midget in the box? Go for it. I love ninjas, and midgets.

My pet peeve is when someone goes awol on communication while discussing a trade, but then suddenly "finds" the conversation around the time a brewery only release is scheduled.

26. baconsausage

baconsausage Jun 28, 2010 Vermont

um, edward, why do you need a pair of box cutters? i mean, im sure its faster and all, but im a little scared now.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  27. glitchedmind

Obviously so I can let my partner know he did such a great job packaging that I had to use them and in doing so cut open a can. Hopefully they will feel bad and send me a replacement box of awesomeness. ;)
    I'd use a pair of scissors to cut alongside the bottle/can, but I've given up keeping track of which scissors of the wife's I'm allowed to use as general purprose vs what is for fabric only.

28. ASUBeer

Beer Trader

ISO: wants FT: Gots

With no links to either posted.

Quite possibly the laziest attempt at trading ever.

29. glitchedmind

30. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

31. glitchedmind

Wrong choice of words. :) but yeah.
    Lopsided trading is one thing, but flat out lying is a whole new ball game. :angry:

32. Mag00n

Mag00n Nov 21, 2008 New York

Dont think you did anything wrong here. To me, a non-response is akin to a pass on the offer. I suppose a response would be ideal but I dont 'cross anyone off the list' for not responding to an offer I make. I am guilty of the same.

jrnyc likes this.
  33. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Growler fills for Chocolate Rain and King Henry! Shelf beers for BASC! When will these ISO:FTs stop?

34. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

12-21-12.

35. evilc

Well, wouldn't it depend on what the growler was?

36. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

37. glitchedmind

You can still report them. I reported the post and another that was similar by the user and they were gone the next day. Who did the removing, I dont know. But they were gone.

38. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Ahh, you are right , my bad, now I see it , thanks! Time to report a post.

39. ASUBeer

Beer Trader

Bad traders with excuses.

It's trading fucking beer. Put beer in a box and ship in timely manner. Jesus.

atone315, OddNotion and MordorMongo like this.
  40. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

Hey man, life happens, you know?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe