1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio

To me, the job of the person I'm trading with is to get me the beer safely. Nothing more. I don't get bent outta shape if the bubble wrap is taped as long as I get my beers. It's nice to be able to re-use materials, but it's not a deal-breaker for me if I can't.

ChanChan, smutty33, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue (really) with people who use it, but I've seen an instance or two where it was completely overdone, which can get a little frustrating when it takes about an hour to unpack a box.

In a perfect world, everyone would ship with styro/double wall shippers. For the record, I've never used more than one piece of tape per bottle on bubble wrap (unless previously cocooned by another trader) and I've never had any breakage issues either. :D

3. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

FT: List. ISO: List
    Views: 367498394096894

4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Seriously? I can unpack a taped to hell CASE of beer ( individually taped bottles ) in about 5 minutes. Want me to post a video of how to do it? :)

5. MarkIntihar

No, but thanks for your condescension. I would say "it was just an exaggeration", but I have a feeling you already know that.

It honestly did take me about half an hour to unpack a box one time, because my trading partner (bless his heart) decided to tape around pretty much the entire bottle, and I'm not really one to waste/ruin perfectly good bubble wrap by slicing it to pieces.

libbey, LambicKing and Shagtastic like this.
  6. evilc

You should see how I pack growlers. An NFL kicker couldn't break it thanks do all the taped bubble wrap.

7. MarkIntihar

You're completely missing the point about tape. Or just choosing to ignore it. Either way, I told my boss I'd be in early tomorrow and I should probably quit arguing about something so pointless and just go to sleep.

8. pschul4

pschul4 Zealot (562) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Rubber bands dood, saves ur partner from some unpleasantness. Taping it up always makes it unpleasant for your partner

9. evilc

No complaints - in fact always the opposite "most well packed I've ever received" "thanks for the awesome packing job for that long journey ".

Ain't fixin' what ain't broke!

I receive boxes the same way and have no issues or complaints with taped bubble wrap. 5 min tops. I'd never complain that a partner took their time.

pschul4 likes this.
  10. pschul4

pschul4 Zealot (562) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

11. evilc

I mean - I don't mummify the damn thing - always easy to rip the bottle out =)

pschul4 likes this.
  12. glitchedmind

glitchedmind Initiate (0) May 8, 2012 California

A pair of box cutters will solve the dillema of thirty five cents in bubble wrap and tape "wasted".
    It may not be reused to wrap bottles, but it is used as fluffing inside the box.

Package your box however you feel is the best way to get it to me undamaged. You want to throw a ninja sword carrying midget in the box? Go for it. I love ninjas, and midgets.

My pet peeve is when someone goes awol on communication while discussing a trade, but then suddenly "finds" the conversation around the time a brewery only release is scheduled.

13. baconsausage

baconsausage Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2010 Vermont

um, edward, why do you need a pair of box cutters? i mean, im sure its faster and all, but im a little scared now.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  14. glitchedmind

Obviously so I can let my partner know he did such a great job packaging that I had to use them and in doing so cut open a can. Hopefully they will feel bad and send me a replacement box of awesomeness. ;)
    I'd use a pair of scissors to cut alongside the bottle/can, but I've given up keeping track of which scissors of the wife's I'm allowed to use as general purprose vs what is for fabric only.

15. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Disciple (305) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

ISO: wants FT: Gots

With no links to either posted.

Quite possibly the laziest attempt at trading ever.

16. glitchedmind

17. glitchedmind

Wrong choice of words. :) but yeah.
    Lopsided trading is one thing, but flat out lying is a whole new ball game. :angry:

18. Mag00n

Mag00n Aspirant (208) Nov 21, 2008 New York

Dont think you did anything wrong here. To me, a non-response is akin to a pass on the offer. I suppose a response would be ideal but I dont 'cross anyone off the list' for not responding to an offer I make. I am guilty of the same.

jrnyc likes this.
  19. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Growler fills for Chocolate Rain and King Henry! Shelf beers for BASC! When will these ISO:FTs stop?

20. evilc

Well, wouldn't it depend on what the growler was?

21. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (820) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

22. glitchedmind

You can still report them. I reported the post and another that was similar by the user and they were gone the next day. Who did the removing, I dont know. But they were gone.

23. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (820) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Ahh, you are right , my bad, now I see it , thanks! Time to report a post.

24. ASUBeer

Beer Trader

Bad traders with excuses.

It's trading fucking beer. Put beer in a box and ship in timely manner. Jesus.

atone315, OddNotion and MordorMongo like this.
  25. ASUBeer

Beer Trader

Yeah, it's certainly understandable that all of the good traders have no life. :)

nanobrew and MordorMongo like this.
  26. Bluecane

People who think that tossing in a couple of FBS will make a Florida trader shut up and give you their best beer. If you think the KBS stuff is bad, this is way worse.

27. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,318) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I don't like auctions either, & always bail if I get that vibe off a response/inquiry, but what we really need around here is fewer hall monitors.

Don't like a post? Against the "rules"? Just keep swimming.

supercolter likes this.
  28. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

So...I shouldn't throw that in as an extra in my box today? Damn CCB spoiled you guys.

29. Bluecane

If you were trying to misrepresent ny post as much as possible, then congratulations!

Never said it's not a nice extra. But it's a joke to feature it in an ISO for brewery exclusives like Leon.

30. stxSS07

Are you always wound this tight? Seems I forgot some people need their humor/sarcasm spoon-fed to them.

Since you brought it up, Leon sure did look like a tough get with people posting 5 case hauls.

31. Bluecane

Yes, because it was so clear that you were joking with the line about being spoiled by CCB. Convenient turn-around there. And It's interesting that such a loose fellow like yourself would so quickly resort to name-calling.

And it's a thread about pet peeves; people posting about things that annoy them is the whole idea.

Just because there was no limit if you picked it up at the brewery doesn't mean it should be traded for a beer that sits on shelves until March or later. And I don't have any Leon or any interest in its value, but the practice is silly.

32. stxSS07

I thought it was...oh well. I missed the part where I resorted to "name-calling", but read it how you will.

True. Your post about trading annoyed me, therefore I replied. SCIENCE.

Some might disagree with this. That's what forums are for.

*bonus round: if you respond, you win!*

domtronzero and robinsmv like this.
  33. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2010 Florida

It could be the anonymity of the Internet or the ambiguity of written language talking, but the tone coming across makes it seem like your panties are more twisted then that time a tornado hit a Victoria's Secret. There was no name calling going on and if someone is talking about sending you extras then clearly they have good intentions. As far as the FBS for Leon goes guess what I just worked out a trade for. I'll give you a hint, it involves me sending a Leon and getting a FBS in return. There are other beers as well, but I was really looking to get my hands on a FBS and it turned out to be the perfect beer to make the $4$ match up so it's really not that far fetched. As long as both people are happy then it really doesn't matter what you trade for what.

34. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,021) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Just read this page and it hit me that stupid arguments on BA based on unrecognized sarcasm in which I am not part are another pet peeve of mine.

chippo33, BobZ, stxSS07 and 1 other person like this.
  35. black13

black13 Disciple (303) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I agree with this 100%, but there are legitimate reasons for this. I have been guilty of this in the past, but here is my reason. The damn FedEx guy deliverd the boxes to my back door. (FYI, to get to my back door you have to go past my front door and through my yard). I can go several days without going out my back door. Fortunately, I just happened to see a box sitting out there one day. Otherwise that box of beer would have sat baking in the sun for who knows how long. Now I make it a point to look there on deliver day.

36. stxSS07

I'm usually good for one every month or so. Sorry in advance.

cavedave likes this.
  37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,021) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm usually good for some unrecognized sarcasm.

38. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

39. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2010 Florida

Saw this in the thread list, read it before it got nuked, now who do I talk to about getting those two minutes of my life back?

40. mobius387

mobius387 Disciple (338) Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

1. not funny either (see, i can do it too)

me. next time ill message you guys before i post something so you can approve it as "funny enough for BA"

new pet peeve of mine: BA's acting like real snobs, instead of just beer snobs

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

No fake news here. Get real beer content delivered to your doorstep every month.

Subscribe