1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mobius387

mobius387 Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

like i eluded to before, i dont need your approval before i post something on BA. i dont care if you dont think it was funny. to be honest, i was more going for something just silly and therapeutic.

but thanks for proving my point. BA's just cant help themselves sometimes from being regular snobs :rolleyes:

2. mobius387

Beer Trader

lol, right. cause i was complaining about my post being taken down? and you are acting like a snob. i wont bother explaining it to you because as my attendings say "if i just tell you, you wont learn."

not many plates for me. i weigh about 160.

but unfortunately, i have nothing to add to the OP. so ill be done here.

3. robinsmv

robinsmv Jun 24, 2010 Florida

See, i always knew that if you ask the right question you will get an answer or at least find out who to get an answer from. So can I have those two minutes back?

MordorMongo likes this.
  4. mobius387

Beer Trader

lol, sure. lets set up a trade and ill include it as an extra ;)

buttesnake likes this.
  5. robinsmv

Sounds good, I'll send you an m, you send me a Dave and a few vitamin c pills to keep me just a tad bit healthier

6. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

don't worry about the approval, just refrain from posting joke threads altogether. then you don't have to deal with people accurately calling them unfunny, and whatever burst of frustration / other emotions that brings about inside of you.

edit: p.s. re: snobbery, i've been crusading against BA "humor" for years now--long before it was cool.

7. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

8. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

9. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

I started doing that once it was cool, i pretty much follow the coolness tides in and out.

10. Pahn

Beer Trader

i was following the coolness tides in and out before it was cool.

11. glitchedmind

glitchedmind May 8, 2012 California

That was the second one that was posted in Beer Talk. The first one was here in Beer Trading. Too bad it got deleted, we had fun with that thread and it was pretty entertaining.

12. pepsican

pepsican Nov 5, 2007 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Minus the obvious things like a trader not sending off his end, I'd have to say stale beer.

13. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'd like to trade with him...just so I can wrap the BA DL in bubble wrap and then layers of tape.

14. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

I've apparently stepped on enough toes here, so I won't comment on the above any further. But just for the record here, FBS hung around at the largest, most popular shop in Raleigh/Durham -- Sam's Quik Shop -- until at least March. I first noticed it was actually gone in May.

15. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

16. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

17. youradhere

youradhere Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Looks like the arbitrary beer valuation system that grew within the site has finally met its match in "no reply trade forum" policy. I like it. I like watching the adjustment from the addiction of capitalist-beer to simply enjoying beer, rather than worship it for its artificial value. The vocal minority with the most to lose no doubt decries the forum fallout as the end times and heresy, yet they too will disappear along with the value of a beer outside of what you paid for it. The world you created on a website dedicated to beer has changed, and no one cares that it did except for you.

18. Pahn

Beer Trader

it would be nice if things were that simple so you could be as right as you feel. however, some people care that people throw up "ISO: X, FT: Y, [include some false information to trick partner into accepting]" and are more likely to get it done. you may not care, but this doesn't mean that the people in question are "just upset that their beer value is going down."

i reiterate that i like no reply, though i can see its drawbacks (as craft beer gets more popular, more predatory traders will enter the community... whether you agree that "someone got ripped off" or not, people going into trading with a predatory mentality is a bad thing for everyone, whether you believe in objective trade value or not [i don't]).

MarkIntihar and Knifestyles like this.
  19. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

I truly wonder if many of these examples are a result of ignorance or straight up predation. By no means do I know bottle counts and other "trade value criteria" for many beers, but come on...

20. Archemedies

Archemedies Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

My favorite is when someone sends you and offer, and you accept and you never hear from them again...

FTowne likes this.
  21. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

You haven't seen his cellar....

Have you seen it?

ASUBeer and domtronzero like this.
  22. ChiTownPackFan

ChiTownPackFan Jul 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Actually bought a four pack in June in Wisconsin myself.

23. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

Or just know that you should be able to trade awesome Indiana locals for FBS well into the new year!

24. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Wow!!! You should have gone for it man!!! You should have thrown some Cantillon as an extra!! You missed out ;)

25. pittsburghkid66

pittsburghkid66 Dec 24, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I swear to all the people that don't know this guy, he is a prince. I just met up with him for an ip last week and the guy is gold. Don't let his alter ego fool you. Like Marshall Mathers became slim shady when he was rapping, same thing happens to Mongo when it involves beer trading.

Siggy125 likes this.
  26. Shmeal

Shmeal Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Trying to justify $4$ by stating shipping costs

27. Shmeal

Beer Trader

"my bottle of X wasn't actually 15 bucks because I paid 6 dollars extra for shipping. It's value is now 21 bucks"

Photekut likes this.
  28. jp7161

jp7161 Dec 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Do people really do this?

29. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 90% of the problems in this thread stem from people who are trading beer like sports cards rather than to enjoy beer.

30. standardcherry

standardcherry Jan 17, 2011 Massachusetts

I agree with this. I don't mind trading rare stuff for "lesser" beers as long as they are good. You do have to consider how hard some beers are to get though, sometimes offers get out of hand. When I posted an ISOFT I had an offer of a combo of Surly 4pks for my vanilla DL o_O..

31. evilc

32. Shmeal

Beer Trader

Haha I remember that thread!

Oh yea people do this. I've lost count with how many times I've had to tell people that no one counts shipping.

33. evilc

It's a new thread!

Wait, so I can't count time, gas, shipping, and packing materials when I quote my end of $4$????

34. Shmeal

Beer Trader

Oh, I judging by the text in the link I thought it was an old thread that got shat on hard

Next time I go to China for work I should grab a bottle of that PBR reserve they have over there. $4$ would be insane. $40 US for the bottle, plus transit from 12 time zones.

Wale hunting time!

35. Photekut

Photekut Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

ASUBeer and cavedave like this.
  36. robinsmv

You might be onto something, I bet a hipster would give his right nut and his fixie for that, just to be ironic ofcourse

Zach136 likes this.
  37. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Just did same

38. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

I love BAs who refer you to their 'gots' and follow it up with "I haven't updated it in (insert time frame here)." My other favorite BAs are the ones that refer you to their 'gots' for trading purposes, then after you choose a few beers from said list, the reply is 'oh but that's not for trade.'

That's where I move on. Don't waste my time because I'm not interested in wasting yours.

39. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

All these links really aren't much use for this conversation.

Beer Trading Help threads last about as long as a queef in the wind around these parts.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!