1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Patrick

Patrick Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

You aren't hanging out with the right women.
    yamar68 likes this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

FBS out the ass, a lot more than last year, still around too. Actually i'm burned out.
  3. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

People who keep their Ann bottles
    DaveHack likes this.
  4. stxSS07

stxSS07 Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

5. Patrick

I don't get it. Him willing to go over $4$ for CBS is a peeve?
  6. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Nov 26, 2008 California

His pet peeve is generous offers, apparently. He probably kicks his dog if he gets an extra.
  7. stxSS07

How much was CBS? $20?

I just figured it would probably take more than $30 worth of those beers to land one is all.
  8. Patrick

Franch bulldog?
    Franch and LambicKing like this.
  9. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

It's lame to hype up your beer in your own thread. And if it's hands-down the best sour he's ever had, it seems odd that he'd want to trade. The actual offer itself looks fine, though, IMO.
  10. chase2634

chase2634 Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

Can't stand the guys who put up an iso with only styles of interest or a link to their wants, nothing specific. So you send them your cellar list and they tell you they don't have time to look through it. If you don't know what you're looking for expect vague replies or cellar lists as most us aren't F'ing mind readers!
  11. mobius387

mobius387 Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

wheres the comedy police? theres like 6 new threads in the ISO FT that need approval to find out if they are funny.

and if they aren't, i would like them removed. promptly.
    franklinn and LambicKing like this.
  12. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Oct 16, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Sorry about that ;)
  13. glitchedmind

glitchedmind May 8, 2012 California

LambicKing and JulianB like this.
  14. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

15. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

Not being able to watch the ensuing hilarity when a poster makes a huge fuss about how X brewery is overrated and then posts ISOs 3 or 4 times for that same brewery's beer in the following weeks.
  16. Archemedies

Archemedies Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

When someone says they will ship the following day, but ends up shipping a week later. Why even bother saying you can ship the next day if you can't. I'm dealing with this situation right now, and not only did they ship a week late, but they shipped right before the the hurricane hit, and delivery has already been delayed once.
    smutty33 likes this.
  17. Kuemmelbrau

Kuemmelbrau Aug 2, 2008 Louisiana

i hate people with pet peeves!
    MordorMongo likes this.
  18. Kuemmelbrau

Kuemmelbrau Aug 2, 2008 Louisiana

^ Always has been... :)
  19. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure I posted this already but it's worth repeating.

People that send you crap extras that are out of market beers for them. Essentially shitty beer that they don't want.

Just take a dump in the box and save us both the trouble.
  20. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Bound to step on some toes with this one....

But it's traders that ask for insane values for beers that have 1 review and not released yet. (*cough* Bolt Cutter).

[rant]I have an equally sought after beer with smaller batch size and same price... I've had other offers and they want to trade an unreleased 1 review beer for Cantillon Saint Lamvinus, a $35-40 bottle that's very highly ranked.[/rant]

<sigh>Just bitter I guess
    Photekut likes this.
  21. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

But how else would I know what things go for if I can't talk about it? What's my post worth, What would it take to get a reply?
    domtronzero likes this.
  22. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

I think "what's it take?" type threads are reasonable if the main goal is to hear from people that have traded for that beer recently, especially before ISO/FT replies were turned on so there was no way to know what trades were getting done. It's a way of getting information without clogging up the ISO/FT forum with offers that would never get done. "What's my X worth" is just a thinly-veiled form of auction and shouldn't be allowed.
  23. n2185

n2185 Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

My biggest petpeeve: Just say NO! It's okay to politely refuse an offer--I won't be upset. Hell, I'd rather you insult me than just completely ignore me as a way of saying no. In one case I had a tentative trade set up when a guy went silent. When I messaged him back, he asked what our trade was again. When I responded, he just ignored me again. It's not difficult to respond to offers. Just copy a simple, "I decided to trade with someone else, but thank you for the offer" and paste it to every offer you don't want.
  24. stxSS07

But did he ask you if you'd seen his cellar?
    domtronzero likes this.
  25. Franch

Franch Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

any idea what my CBS is worth nowadays?
    domtronzero likes this.
  26. BK1017

BK1017 Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Disagree. As a fairly new trader that doesn't trade regularly, it's helpful to know what the current market is like for a certain beer. The information helps to come up with a fair and equitable offer that is respected in the community. I want to be cheated, nor do I want to cheat anyone. Nor do I want to be laughed off the block like a 'noob.'

27. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Did not fix that for you.
    Photekut likes this.
  28. BK1017

BK1017 Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Damn it. I guess my masochistic tendencies are making themselves known.

29. Bluecane

People pimping their own beers in the thread, i.e. I love this beer, it's so fantastic, it's really one of my crown jewels. Even worse is when they then say they just want to share it -- look how nice I am! -- yet ask for walez that seem at best marginal.

Also, this maybe isn't quite a pet peeve, but when there are major typos and really poor grammar/lack of capitalization/lack of punctuation, I try to avoid those traders. If they can't take the time to post respectable-looking ISO, I'm not confident they will be a reliable trade partner. Maybe that's short-sighted, but that's how I feel.
    LambicKing likes this.
  30. Mposha

Mposha Mar 30, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

Bad grammar in a thread could translate to bad grammar when printing a fedex label!
  31. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Dec 28, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

This has already been covered but...

So many trades offering good beer for better beer. For ex. Ft: Bcbs ISO: bcbs variants, "looking to go $4$".

WTF get that crap outta here.
    Bluecane likes this.
  32. biniek13

biniek13 Nov 29, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

The one that irk's me and has happened to me a few times is when both sides agree on doing the trade and are just figuring out the details, and then half way through the person comes back to me and says, "dude, I just got an offer I couldn't pass up!! Hope you understand..." WTF is that crap!?!? We had a deal? I guess some people's word is better than others...
    lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  33. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

I don't believe that everyone thinks bcbs variants are better than straight bcbs. Last year's bcbs was stellar and I preferred it to coffee and bramble. The larger format and lower allocations are key drivers of the valuation of the variants - not necessarily the quality.
    dumptruck81 likes this.
  34. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Dec 28, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Fair enough. Still though, it's seems like its the ft: semi rare iso: rare

I'd agree with you in the sense that I like bcbs over kbs. Sometimes more going on with the beer isn't necessarily more of what I'd prefer. That may not come off correctly but I get your point.
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  35. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

i would say BCBVS > BCBS > BCBCS. didn't try bramble because it sounded awful. didn't try rare b/c of sticker shock followed by demand explosion.
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  36. eyeenjoybeer

I prefer making my own coffee bcbs. It is cheaper, I don't have to fight for a bottle, and I can adjust the flavors. More folks should try this and other fun infusions, eg. toasted coconut, dried cherries, a vanilla bean (can be used for multiple infusions), different peppers, and combinations of all of these. It works much better than many may think. I suppose that this approach is more relevant for those who drink their beers than to those who are acquiring trade ammo.
  37. Bluecane

And people who get BCBS :)
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  38. mhenson42

mhenson42 Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

How do you do the coffee? Add a few beans to the bottle or filter it through some coffee grounds? or just add a touch of coffee?
  39. eyeenjoybeer

Start with a high quality, freshly roasted, light to medium roast coffee of your choice. Grind it just to a coarse grind, and combine with the beer in the vessel easiest for you to use. 1.5-2 tablespoons of ground coffee/12oz is the way I like to go with it. Let steep for 7-10 minutes and then pour through a fine-mesh sieve or coffee filter. It helps to use a straw or spoon to taste test as you get past minute 5 with hopes to dial in the flavor profile/coffee influence that you desire. You could use less and steep for a longer period to get the influence, but the "prettier" notes of the coffee come out in the following prescribed time...much like french press techniques.
    Rempo, LieutenantSour and mhenson42 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!