1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. atoulouk

atoulouk Apr 25, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'm tired of getting old IPAs as extras. Last 2 trades I've received and IPA as an extra that I was really excited to try only to drink it and taste nothing but malt.

If you're tempted to do this, don't. Send something else or send a message saying that you're light on locals at the moment and can only send ___ extras.

warrendietrich2001, dman127 and csano like this.
  2. mhenson42

mhenson42 Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Got around to doing this yesterday with some nice espresso beans. Used one of those tea strainers and about 8 beans that I broke up. Worked perfectly. Tasted as good as BCBCS. I have a vanilla bean for tonight. I'm thinking I could cut a small piece of it off. It's pretty pungent, so it should work well.

3. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

There are some good IPAs I can get my hands on around here, but so hard to get them fresh enough I rarely trade them, would never send an IPA unless I was sure it was reasonably fresh.

The golden rule of trading should be send something you would be happy getting.

davemike2112 likes this.
  4. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

Lack of communication. How hard is it to just say "everything got here safely. Thanks bro". I give my phone # early in trade negotiations so there literally should be no reason you can't just take 10 seconds to send a text or a BM and say its in your possession safely. Shit, you can even tell me you hated the extras or I did a shitty job packing and you never wanna trade with me again if its the case. But tell me you have the box.

And another is agreeing to a trade, having me go out and buy agreed upon beer including fresh IPA's and then bailing on the trade. At least tell me when I say "I'm going to buy you your the last of the beer today since my shop got some that was bottled yesterday". Say you're gonna bail.

5. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

6. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

Do you think he has any Supplication?

JulianB and Johnnyramirez like this.
  7. Johnnyramirez

He does but he won't let it go $4$. Too hard to get

8. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

9. Romulux

Romulux Jan 28, 2008 Michigan

He has "fresh" Pliny, too!

"Just throwing it out there"

At the very least he is mildly entertaining and has already reached near-legend status! I am a fan!

Johnnyramirez and Gosox8787 like this.
  10. MykelJH

MykelJH Aug 3, 2011 California

Slow shipping

11. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Not only does he have "fresh" Pliny, he's apparently got 18 of them!

12. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Thanks to him, I now know that you can both "ignore" and "follow" someone on here.

13. Johnnyramirez

All jokes aside, his connection must be pretty legit if he has 18. Or he's chasing trucks of Pliny and wasting his time.

14. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

But it better be only NJ Pliny. I ain't takin' no Pliny from other states.

15. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Please let me know within a day or so that the box has arrived safely. I made some trades last nov and I bet 1/4 didn't do this, I shouldn't have to track my own box.

16. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Just look at the time stamp, trying to bore myself to sleep, have to get up early too.

17. Beeryurt

Beeryurt Mar 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

My own pet peeve is myself when I told someone I could get berliner only to run to the store and find all of said berliner gone. Lesson learned was never confirm a trade is a go until beer is in the box. Guy was still happy with the extra stuff I tossed in to make up for it.

18. box_social

box_social Mar 6, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

i get tired of people BM'ing me looking for trade info on where i'm getting my bottles, what they go for, allotments, prices, etc. if you were really interested in the beer, you'd do the legwork and get the info yourself - the internet is great for that. i've even had a local get really defensive and rant at me about how i'm now a bad person because i didn't tell them where i filled a growler for a trade, this after they refused my trade offer for an ISO they posted because they "don't like to trade limited release local bottles to locals who missed out on the sale."

JulianB likes this.
  19. franklinn

franklinn May 29, 2012 Vermont

Really?

I get being annoyed at your second point, but is it so hard to respond with manners to a potential trading partner with: "Bottles were $8 each, limit of two per person at the brewery."

Release details aren't always incredibly easy to come by. If you're so interested in really trading a beer, you can have the decency to have an honest discussion.

20. box_social

Beer Trader

i guess i didn't mention that these people aren't BMing me with trade offers. they don't have the bottles in my ISO, they just want the info. i have absolutely no problem letting potential traders know about the bottles i'm offering, but it seems kinda lame to hit me up for details, then make a new ISO for the FT bottles i listed. it's certainly not a big deal, just a little irritating.

JulianB likes this.
  21. box_social

Beer Trader

haha yeah, one of the more wtf moments i've had on this board. live and learn, i guess.

22. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Feb 11, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

In a recent trade I probably sent double the extras and I didn't even get a "received", never mind a "thanks". I didn't even bother asking. Not worth my time.

23. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Traders who say they have 'access' to certain area breweries and then when asked what bottles are available...they send a link to their local craft beer shop that, get this, sells on-line.

Also, people who post an ISO and the FT is simply "let's work it out"

24. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Was going to create a new thread then I found this old one buried in the depths.

Lately a huge trading pet peeve of mine has been people who don't respond to messages when they put up a trade in the forums. Even if I am not interested in an offer or trade I will at least give the person that messaged me the common courtesy and message them back.

dprice, jshusc, Drifter1 and 10 others like this.
  25. homebrew311

homebrew311 May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have a minor pet peeve, that is after I send a box and see that the box lands and I don't hear from the recipient for days. I'm so eager when I receive a box, I often shoot them a message immediately upon receipt of the box. I know sometimes it takes a day to get to a box, but when I'm shipping bottles that aren't replaceable and I don't hear back for a while, I get a little anxious.

My other pet peeve is when people bring black market values in to the equation as a way to rationalize a low ball offer or to ask for more. I always say, go use the black market then.

26. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Wow talk bout shady dealings!

27. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

People starting a trade thread, demanding that the trade be $4$, and then factoring in the cost for them to ship their FT beer to you in the $4$.

BeerMeBro720 likes this.
  28. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 May 2, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

And then factor in taxes, driving to the brewery, weather conditions, time spent in line...

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  29. iong516

iong516 Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

Casey traders write the book on this. I have driven hours to HF multiple times, paid to stay in hostels, etc and never think to add gas money to ten dollar saisons.

DeadWalkerAir likes this.
  30. DeadWalkerAir

DeadWalkerAir Jan 7, 2014 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

People do this? I always assumed shipping was the cost of doing business

31. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Yup I just quoted my own post:

Since I posted there has been 2 times I have messaged someone about a trade, they read it and no response LOL

32. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It is (or at least it should be).

33. crowellbw

crowellbw Dec 1, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Shipping should be a moot point since both parties are shipping. I could see an argument maybe if someone is shipping two cases of heady and you are only sending a few bottles.

34. MOVERTON1284

MOVERTON1284 Jul 23, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

My pet peeves are lack of communication and people that ship via USPS. I am going to start asking before the trade how they plan to ship, and not go fwd with USPS trades. USPS is slow and their tracking info is useless.

35. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman May 24, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I hate when people use a ton of packing tape over the bubble wrap. I use rubber bands and a minimal amount of scotch tape to ensure that my packaging can be used again.

Also, I hate to bitch about extras, but I'm tired of getting old IPAs and beers that are in my distro as extras.

cavedave, ElGordito and BlackNotesIII like this.
  36. mhenson42

mhenson42 Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

^ I don't care if it can be used again. I care that it makes it there safely.

I generally use new bubble wrap on bottles anyway. The used stuff is used for extra padding.

JavaNoire likes this.
  37. DeadWalkerAir

DeadWalkerAir Jan 7, 2014 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Can we add things like the current ad for Treehouse cans which the guy says they might be going to other people but just in case he wants other offers. IMO don't make offers you aren't fully prepared to follow through with.

38. jlsims04

jlsims04 Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Except for the guarenteed 2 day flat rate large boxes for 17$ LOL.

cavedave likes this.
  39. concealed

concealed May 7, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

USPS is definitely faster than Fedex ground, tracking isn't as good, but who cares.

cavedave likes this.
  40. MOVERTON1284

MOVERTON1284 Jul 23, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Oh it matters when your box never shows and you have to track a package and they don't have a way to find it. I had a box sent to me two day priority and as of today it is scheduled for delivery on 2/20 and it has still departed the facility in MA, just like it has for almost a full month.

41. concealed

concealed May 7, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Sounds anecdotal. I shipped 1200+ usps packages (for my side business) last year. I had one lost and that was shipped first class for under $3, not priority.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe