Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Trading "Pet Peeves"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by jp7161, Aug 31, 2012.

1. glitchedmind

LambicKing and JulianB like this.
  2. JulianB

3. Sarlacc83

Not being able to watch the ensuing hilarity when a poster makes a huge fuss about how X brewery is overrated and then posts ISOs 3 or 4 times for that same brewery's beer in the following weeks.

4. Archemedies

When someone says they will ship the following day, but ends up shipping a week later. Why even bother saying you can ship the next day if you can't. I'm dealing with this situation right now, and not only did they ship a week late, but they shipped right before the the hurricane hit, and delivery has already been delayed once.

smutty33 likes this.
  5. Kuemmelbrau

i hate people with pet peeves!

MordorMongo likes this.
  6. MordorMongo

Hating yourself must be a bitch. ;)

jrnyc and nlmartin like this.
  7. Kuemmelbrau

^ Always has been... :)

8. ASUBeer

Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure I posted this already but it's worth repeating.

People that send you crap extras that are out of market beers for them. Essentially shitty beer that they don't want.

Just take a dump in the box and save us both the trouble.

9. domtronzero

Not a trading pet peeve, but people referring to Sam Adams Utopias as Utopia has been getting under my skin lately.

10. Prospero

Beer Trader

Bound to step on some toes with this one....

But it's traders that ask for insane values for beers that have 1 review and not released yet. (*cough* Bolt Cutter).

[rant]I have an equally sought after beer with smaller batch size and same price... I've had other offers and they want to trade an unreleased 1 review beer for Cantillon Saint Lamvinus, a $35-40 bottle that's very highly ranked.[/rant]

<sigh>Just bitter I guess

Photekut likes this.
  11. domtronzero

Haha yah just like these ones:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ba-speedway-stout-12.48028/

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ba-speedway-what-does-it-take.48508/

(except the second one could possibly refer to any vintage, although I assume since it was a recent release it pertained to 2012 vintage primarily).

12. domtronzero

And while we're on this topic, I wish the bros would just ban "What's it take" and "What's my CBS worth" and "What's White Birch Going for these days" threads. Seriously. Just put up a goddamm ISO/FT. You either have the beers that will land it or you don't. If you don't know what a DL 09 is "going for" then maybe you should either lurk a bit longer, stop trying to "win" the trade, or just give up. If you want to know what your CBS is worth, put it up on eBay and take the auction there. If you want to know if you have something that will land a BA batch 9k, put up a trade thread with an offer that you'd feel comfortable making. If it doesn't happen then you just found out that, guess what, it takes more.

13. MordorMongo

I am confused man, please cut to the chase and tell us how you REALLY feel?

cavedave and domtronzero like this.
  14. domtronzero

Fucking nihilists

ilovermont and MordorMongo like this.
  15. abecall98

Beer Trader

But how else would I know what things go for if I can't talk about it? What's my post worth, What would it take to get a reply?

domtronzero likes this.
  16. JulianB

I think "what's it take?" type threads are reasonable if the main goal is to hear from people that have traded for that beer recently, especially before ISO/FT replies were turned on so there was no way to know what trades were getting done. It's a way of getting information without clogging up the ISO/FT forum with offers that would never get done. "What's my X worth" is just a thinly-veiled form of auction and shouldn't be allowed.

17. n2185

Beer Trader

My biggest petpeeve: Just say NO! It's okay to politely refuse an offer--I won't be upset. Hell, I'd rather you insult me than just completely ignore me as a way of saying no. In one case I had a tentative trade set up when a guy went silent. When I messaged him back, he asked what our trade was again. When I responded, he just ignored me again. It's not difficult to respond to offers. Just copy a simple, "I decided to trade with someone else, but thank you for the offer" and paste it to every offer you don't want.

18. stxSS07

But did he ask you if you'd seen his cellar?

domtronzero likes this.
  19. Franch

Beer Trader

any idea what my CBS is worth nowadays?

domtronzero likes this.
  20. BK1017

Disagree. As a fairly new trader that doesn't trade regularly, it's helpful to know what the current market is like for a certain beer. The information helps to come up with a fair and equitable offer that is respected in the community. I want to be cheated, nor do I want to cheat anyone. Nor do I want to be laughed off the block like a 'noob.'

BK

21. Knifestyles

Did not fix that for you.

Photekut likes this.
  22. BK1017

Damn it. I guess my masochistic tendencies are making themselves known.

BK

23. Bluecane

People pimping their own beers in the thread, i.e. I love this beer, it's so fantastic, it's really one of my crown jewels. Even worse is when they then say they just want to share it -- look how nice I am! -- yet ask for walez that seem at best marginal.

Also, this maybe isn't quite a pet peeve, but when there are major typos and really poor grammar/lack of capitalization/lack of punctuation, I try to avoid those traders. If they can't take the time to post respectable-looking ISO, I'm not confident they will be a reliable trade partner. Maybe that's short-sighted, but that's how I feel.

LambicKing likes this.
  24. Mposha

Beer Trader

Bad grammar in a thread could translate to bad grammar when printing a fedex label!

25. dumptruck81

Beer Trader

This has already been covered but...

So many trades offering good beer for better beer. For ex. Ft: Bcbs ISO: bcbs variants, "looking to go $4$".

WTF get that crap outta here.

Bluecane likes this.
  26. biniek13

Beer Trader

The one that irk's me and has happened to me a few times is when both sides agree on doing the trade and are just figuring out the details, and then half way through the person comes back to me and says, "dude, I just got an offer I couldn't pass up!! Hope you understand..." WTF is that crap!?!? We had a deal? I guess some people's word is better than others...

lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  27. eyeenjoybeer

I don't believe that everyone thinks bcbs variants are better than straight bcbs. Last year's bcbs was stellar and I preferred it to coffee and bramble. The larger format and lower allocations are key drivers of the valuation of the variants - not necessarily the quality.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  28. dumptruck81

Beer Trader

Fair enough. Still though, it's seems like its the ft: semi rare iso: rare

I'd agree with you in the sense that I like bcbs over kbs. Sometimes more going on with the beer isn't necessarily more of what I'd prefer. That may not come off correctly but I get your point.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  29. Pahn

Beer Trader

i would say BCBVS > BCBS > BCBCS. didn't try bramble because it sounded awful. didn't try rare b/c of sticker shock followed by demand explosion.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  30. eyeenjoybeer

I prefer making my own coffee bcbs. It is cheaper, I don't have to fight for a bottle, and I can adjust the flavors. More folks should try this and other fun infusions, eg. toasted coconut, dried cherries, a vanilla bean (can be used for multiple infusions), different peppers, and combinations of all of these. It works much better than many may think. I suppose that this approach is more relevant for those who drink their beers than to those who are acquiring trade ammo.

31. MordorMongo

Agreed, one vanilla bean can be split, the good stuff inside used for whatever floats your boat, each half of the split bean will make 3 12 oz BCBVS clones (open, pour, stir with half bean for a bit and let sit for a few minutes, and then STILL flavor some sugar if so desired. Yes real vanilla beans are expensive but I honesty think they make a BETTER BCBVS than the bottled form. And I don't say that lightly as I love BCBVS.

32. Bluecane

And people who get BCBS :)

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  33. mhenson42

Beer Trader

How do you do the coffee? Add a few beans to the bottle or filter it through some coffee grounds? or just add a touch of coffee?

34. eyeenjoybeer

Start with a high quality, freshly roasted, light to medium roast coffee of your choice. Grind it just to a coarse grind, and combine with the beer in the vessel easiest for you to use. 1.5-2 tablespoons of ground coffee/12oz is the way I like to go with it. Let steep for 7-10 minutes and then pour through a fine-mesh sieve or coffee filter. It helps to use a straw or spoon to taste test as you get past minute 5 with hopes to dial in the flavor profile/coffee influence that you desire. You could use less and steep for a longer period to get the influence, but the "prettier" notes of the coffee come out in the following prescribed time...much like french press techniques.

Rempo, LieutenantSour and mhenson42 like this.
  35. kojevergas

Beer Trader

People who post "has this been completed yet?" within two minutes of a trade thread being started and think it's hilarious.

36. mhenson42

Beer Trader

Nice. I'm definitely gonna try this and the vanilla bean idea. Thanks.

37. atoulouk

Beer Trader

I'm tired of getting old IPAs as extras. Last 2 trades I've received and IPA as an extra that I was really excited to try only to drink it and taste nothing but malt.

If you're tempted to do this, don't. Send something else or send a message saying that you're light on locals at the moment and can only send ___ extras.

warrendietrich2001, dman127 and csano like this.
  38. MordorMongo

39. mhenson42

Beer Trader

Got around to doing this yesterday with some nice espresso beans. Used one of those tea strainers and about 8 beans that I broke up. Worked perfectly. Tasted as good as BCBCS. I have a vanilla bean for tonight. I'm thinking I could cut a small piece of it off. It's pretty pungent, so it should work well.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation

• Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe