Transit- (and walking)-friendly Beer Trips (2019)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jul 12, 2019.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,339) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

Hi folks,

Let’s talk about transit- and walking-friendly cities (in the US and elsewhere) for beer-centered vacations.

Where are there craft breweries or even “brewing districts” easily accessible by public transit or on foot?

I’m most familiar with San Francisco and the Bay Area. There’s a lot of great places here, although the further out you go the more difficult it is to get around without a car.

For walkability, ease of transit options, quality of beer, and affordability I’ve always enjoyed visiting Portland (OR).

I read such wonderful things about Denver (in one of those now-defunct threads) that I’m curious about the Mile High City.

I’m not intentionally slighting the San Diego and LA scenes, I just don’t think of either as accessible without wheels.

What else?

By the way—There’s been a few threads along these lines in the past, and I’m pretty sure I’ve been responsible for at least some of them!

Fall fare sales but limited flexibility means this is more daydreaming than actual planning, but that’s never stopped me before!

#1 elNopalero, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    GreenBayBA likes this.
  2. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,475) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Minneapolis.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. zid

zid Meyvn (1,296) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

New York City

rtrasr, VoxRationis, Ranbot and 5 others like this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,475) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

NYC is transit friendly to just about anywhere in the city! :wink:

Shanex, rtrasr, VoxRationis and 2 others like this.
  5. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (118) Apr 16, 2018 Ontario (Canada)
    Society

Pittsburgh. Didnt use transit, but stayed right downtown and used a bikeshare or walked to 31 different breweries and bars over a 3 day weekend.

6. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (9,265) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yer right about the SF Bay Area - there used to be a BeerByBART website that was really useful.

SEPTA has changed the names for their regional rail in the PHL suburbs, but the former R5 Line (30th Street to Thorndale) had a site. I don't know if the site still exists, but there are plenty of places to visit along that line. Check out BreweriesInPA.com since they also mention the Lansdale/Doylestown Line.

KentT, GreenBayBA and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Meyvn (1,299) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

Denver. Safe to walk anywhere.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,488) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

It's not huge, but Sioux Falls, SD has an established and growing downtown beer district. Staying at one of two new hotels downtown, you can crawl to four going on five brewery taprooms, an independent taproom, and a number of other bars and restaurants with craft. Within easy Lyft/Uber distance are another five brewery taprooms, several independent taprooms, and several decent craft stores. It makes a nice weekend beercation. I live in a burb, and I've even done a beer-staycation there

#8 bbtkd, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,432) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Portland, OR has so many breweries that many have to be walkable (I've walked between 5-6 without much effort). Grand Rapids, MI has 7-8 of them that are walkable in the downtown area with some effort, and most of them are really good. Kalamazoo isn't bad either with 7 walkable breweries of varying quality in and around downtown, but Bell's is one of them.

GreenBayBA and stevepat like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,035) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

My small city of Bellingham WA has 14 breweries, along with many bars, and is mostly walkable/likeable, and the couple spots that aren't are on a bus line.

11. rozzom

rozzom Champion (818) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Why would I take a bus to somewhere unlikeable?

12. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,872) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

TNGriff and GreenBayBA like this.
  13. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (9,934) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

Kansas City. Stay at Crown Center. Short walk to the Crossroads District with Brewery Emperial, Double Shift Brewing, Border Brewing Co, Torn Label, Casual Animal Brewing, International Tap House, Tapcade and many other great beer destinations.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  14. PapaGoose03

Society

Addendum: I just recalled that Grand Rapids has a beer trolley to get you around to the breweries, and to keep you from getting behind the wheel. Downtown hotels are available (and walkable if your legs will support you :wink:).
    https://www.grbeertrolley.com/home/

GreenBayBA likes this.
  15. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (87) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado
    Trader

Denver is easy because of the Lyft scooter things that are cheap (and fun)

Here in Fort Collins there are a number that are close and there are numerous bike stops where you can rent bikes and return them at any other stop

raynmoon and GreenBayBA like this.
  16. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,339) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

I love love LOVE Beer by BART. Especially in my early (pre-smartphone) days of exploring the Bay Area it was an invaluable resource. Looks like the site is still active, with essays about the scene.

woodychandler and GreenBayBA like this.
  17. NickNelly

NickNelly Initiate (63) Oct 26, 2015 South Carolina
    Trader

Asheville, NC has gotta be top 5 in this discussion. For a small sized city, it is STACKED with breweries and brewery districts. Tourism centers around breweries (amongst mountain activities), and the entire city is proud of their breweries and supporting local.

rgordon, surfcaster and GreenBayBA like this.
  18. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Savant (976) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

You have me convinced! I can't wait to meet you and @The-Adjunct-Hippie in November!

19. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,035) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

"Bikeable". Damn autocorrect.

20. AWA

AWA Aspirant (232) Jul 22, 2014 California

Isn't this why god gave us Uber? Now I don't need to drive anywhere I don't want to. Sure opened up drinking possibilities for me.

GreenBayBA and Mrstiffington like this.
  21. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (861) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

×1000... And NYC has lots of other non-beer things to do too.

frozyn, GreenBayBA, zid and 2 others like this.
  22. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (87) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Well, I’ll put Burlington, VT as a walking friendly beer town. The wife and I hit almost every brewery and a few more than once this weekend.

23. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,497) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I've done Seattle 100% by public transportation. Able to hit everything I wanted without any issues, just need to give yourself time.

Denver has plenty of areas to go to where things are within easy walking distance, but not sure about the transit system. I'd imagine as long as your phone has the google map app, you could do public transit just fine, just as I did in Seattle.

Smaller city but Fort Collins, Colorado...get a bike and you can ride yourself where you want and tons of great breweries.

On the other end, as a fair warning, better have yourself a car or willing to do Uber/Lyft in Albuquerque.

raynmoon and GreenBayBA like this.
  24. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (118) Apr 16, 2018 Ontario (Canada)
    Society

This is a good one, although two of the best in Burlington, BBCO and 4Quarters would be quite a walk. I just came back from Burlington and did those ones at the start of the day. Drove there, partook in a few then drove to the hotel and started to walk :slight_smile:

Mrstiffington and GreenBayBA like this.
  25. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Savant (976) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

In my area, before Uber was created, we had Mooer, which has been around for 200 years. It is a taxi service using trained cows. It takes a very long time to get where you are going, but 6 out of 10 times, you will eventually get where you are going.

26. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,332) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Chicago has many clusters easily accessible by public transport

GreenBayBA likes this.
  27. PapaGoose03

Society

And I assume the other four times were stops as cheese factories for the cow to make a deposit? :stuck_out_tongue::wink:

28. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (308) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

New York City for me. Love to visit, so many options. Absolutely no need for an automobile there.

Mrstiffington and GreenBayBA like this.
  29. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (803) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Asheville has to be one of the most walkable "beer cities" with probably 15-20+ (honestly can't keep count)b in the small downtown "South Slope" area and other little enclaves close by like River Arts with their own cluster of breweries. Add great food, great weather, mountain vibe and you have it all.

TNGriff, denver10, NickNelly and 2 others like this.
  30. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (666) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

If you ever find your self in Miami/South Beach I would recommend checking out the Wynwood area. Certainly not on par with Denver, San Diego or some of the other cities mentioned in terms of quantity of Breweries, but you've got 3 breweries (J. Wakefield, Wynwood and Concrete Beach) all a short walk from each other and pretty much on the same block as well as solid bottle shop in Boxelder.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  31. AWA

AWA Aspirant (232) Jul 22, 2014 California

Cow transit is making me irrationally jealous

jakecattleco, denver10 and GreenBayBA like this.
  32. rgordon

rgordon Savant (939) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm sitting here crying laughing.I think I believe you.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,128) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Bend, OR has a pretty modest public transit system, but so many of the breweries/bars are easily walkable/bikeable regardless. If I’m not mistaken, Bend invented the Ale Trail concept.

34. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (87) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I’ll also add Portland, ME as a walkable beer town. Lots of breweries, restaurants and beer bars in old Port. Obviously, the exceptions are the 4 breweries on Industrial Way and Bissell but hey, last time I was there I ubered/and biked as well.