1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Transporting Beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BrewerID11748395, Jan 30, 2019.

1. BrewerID11748395

BrewerID11748395 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2019

Newish to brewing, been helping a friend with his batches for years and just finally did a 5 gallon of my own.

It has been in bottles for a week and a half and I have to move into a new place in a day or two. I guess my question is will transporting it mess with the bottling phase or will it be fine?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,746) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Might wanna repost this in the Homebrew forum. Welcome to the site!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  3. minderbender

minderbender Aspirant (206) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Agitating the bottles won't cause any problem at all, so moving itself is no concern.

In the summer I might worry about the bottles heating up in a truck or car while in transit, but in the winter I don't think it's a concern. As long as the beer doesn't freeze the yeast should be fine. I generally let my bottles carbonate for 2-3 weeks before drinking, so if I were you I would keep them at room temperature in your new place for a little longer. If they cool down in between the old and new place (short of freezing), it shouldn't matter, but you might give them a little extra time to carbonate since the cold might temporarily slow down/stop yeast activity. However, once the bottles are back at room temperature the yeast should finish the job.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (376) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Nothing to worry about. As long as it's in cases or boxes, try to keep it out of the light. But shaking around will be no issues.

5. BrewerID11748395

BrewerID11748395 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2019

Thnx for the response guys, ended up finishing it out where it was and moved it later, but good to know.