Travelling to SOCAL for the first time!

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by 4thelvofbeer, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Virginia

Hello,
    My brother and I will be flying into LAX for a quck 2-day trip in January to pick up our Bruery allocations for the year. Neither of us have been to the area before and we are looking for some great bottle shops in the area and great beer bars in the area. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
    Rich

2. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think you guys should really try and hit Beachwood. It's maybe 20-25 minutes from the Bruery. Fantastic beers and great food. Bruery and Beachwood are #1 and 2 in this area (Los Angeles/Orange counties). There's a liquor store right in front of the Bruery called Mr. K's which is kinda small but they had a pretty good selection last time I was there.

edit: Also, Bootlegger's is very close by in Fullerton. If they have Knuckle Sandwich that's a very good DIPA.

dianimal and Srsly like this.
  3. Srsly

Srsly Crusader (496) Mar 21, 2010 California

I think smog city's all around lineup is really impressive, and el segundo's hoppy beers are outstanding too. But i agree with mrcraft that Beachwood should definitely be your #1 priority (after the Bruery).

UnknownKoger likes this.
  4. j47paco

j47paco Zealot (716) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

Where will you be staying?

5. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Maven (1,424) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

Dewd. That's over three months from now. The state could be bobbing in the ocean by then.

My recommendation: stop at the Bruery long enough to pick up your beer then drive south until you hit San Diego. Spend the rest of your time in the many wonderful breweries and pubs that make SD the best region for beer in the U.S.

82300sd and OopSour like this.
  6. 4thelvofbeer

Don't have a plan for where we are staying yet... We gonna plan it around the places for beer!

7. 4thelvofbeer

Thanks for the good info! Is it really worth the trip to SD with such a short amount of time?

8. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 California

Yes. Its less than a two hour drive. I live in orange county and drive down more often then i should. If you are in oc on a weekday check out hollingshead deli. They have the best tap list in oc. But only open weekdays till about 8.

9. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

It really depends. With two full days you could potentially justify it, but in west OC you could pretty easily make a day of beechwood seal beach, mr kegs in HB for a bottleshop, and slaters 50/50 for burgers and a pretty expansive tap list.

East OC you have Bruery, Noble Ale Works, Bootleggers (as a local I prefer any of the other options in the area, but its a tick), Bottle Logic Brewing should be open by then, hollingshead (only on weekdays) Smoqued for some good barbecue and CA only tap list, Haven Provisions for another pretty decent albeit pricy tap list, haven gastro pub (don't eat there, just check the chalkboard for anything interesting, and a 2 minute walk from the two previously mentioned locations), and myriad bottleshops/other restaurants with good beer selections.

If you're willing to invest 2-4+ hours of your day driving to San Diego you'll have access to some phenominal breweries, but its not as though you'd run out of quality options staying in Orange County

marcron03 likes this.
  10. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

San Diego beer scene deserves it's own trip and it definitely deserves more than 1 day for somebody from across the country to enjoy.

There's plenty to do, see, and drink in LA/OC. What do we have now, 20 or so breweries??

queens1130 likes this.
  11. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2011 California

Go to Valiant Brewing, about 5 minutes away from The Bruery.

12. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Beachwood can be a day long beer trip by itself. Food is amazing, house beer is amazing, and solid guest taps!

13. radium

radium Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2010 California

Bottleshops: El Cerrito Liquor (Corona), Provisions Market (Orange), Hi-Times (Costa Mesa), Hacienda Beverage (Brea), Korker Liquor (Corona Del Mar)

Beer Bars: Provisions Market (Orange), Out of the Park Pizza (Anaheim), Pizza Port (San Clemente), Tustin Brew Co. (Tustin)

14. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

San Diego has 3x more world class breweries than L.A. has breweries period. It's absolutely worth it, BUT...how many do you think you can visit, tour, and drink at with only 2 days? Stay local this time. Hit SD when you have more time to spend in SoCal.

I_heart_beer likes this.
  15. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I agree, it depends. Since this is your first visit to LA, if you want to visit non-beer places as well, then spend the time in LA proper. Also, there are a handful of nice beer bars from Santa Monica -> West Hollywood -> Glendale area. You can search for past threads, lots of very useful suggestions.

On the other hand, if this trip is strictly beer and beer only, and you feel you won't be visiting SoCal anytime soon, you might consider the San Diego option. If you haven't bought tickets yet, maybe fly into John Wayne Airport (closest to Bruery, but airfare might be more expensive) early morning, rent a car, pick up your Bruery allocation, drive to San Diego, and fly back home from the San Diego Airport the next day. You'll have that afternoon/night and the next day to explore the San Diego beer scene. I think a drive to Alpine and picking up all you can in itself might be worth the SD trip.

16. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well done, sir! You make it sound so easy, I may just fly into John Wayne (from LAX) and make the trip myself!

rrryanc likes this.
  17. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

OP, the first thing you should do is look at a map and find out how big Southern California is. For instance, it'll take about 45 minutes (with no traffic) to get to the Bruery from LAX. Those of us who live here are used to driving such long distances under what's considered some of the worst traffic in the US, but folks from out of town may have a problem with it especially if coming from a place that's much smaller. Once you realize how much area is covered, you'll want to plan your day that makes the most of your time because you'll be spending quite a bit of it driving if you don't plan accordingly. I'd stick to LA/OC and leave SD for another trip. Try to limit the amount of beer destinations you visit to a select few and incorporate some good food destinations in between.

18. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

You have some pretty good suggestions but let's keep this guy from having to drive way out. No disrespect to Corona but that's over an hour drive (60 miles) just for a bottle shop. You could probably make the case for it if there were other things to do around there but that's in the sticks. Plus the traffic on the 91 is no joke sometimes.

19. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

my suggestion is to stay in OC. Once you land head over to the Bruery. If they are not open yet there is a liquor store right next to them (Mr. K's I believe) that has a great selection. After the Bruery the three places I recommend are Bootleggers, Noble Ale Works, and Beachwood (they have two locations, choose the one that is more convenient). I have also heard great things about The Playground.

Next time, don't let yourself down and plan on more time and head to SD (come in the first week of Novermber for Beer Week).

20. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Beer Week? More like s#!^storm week. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.