British Columbia Tree Brewery- Vertical Winter Ale

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Nathanb, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Nathanb

Nathanb Initiate (110) Mar 19, 2017 Australia

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted and made a successful clone of Tree Brewerys Vertical Winter Ale? I visited Canada a couple of years ago and while at Big White I tasted a beer that changed my life. I have tried a few times at recreating their masterpiece but none that I would call worthy have be created. Its coming up to winter over here in Aus and would love to have that one on tap for the cooler months.

Cheers!

2. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (3,461) Apr 2, 2005 British Columbia (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've never made it, but have drank it as well.

Lots of info on their site:
    http://www.treebeer.com/vertical-winter-ale/

Style: Winter Ale
    Body: Medium
    Alcohol: 5%
    IBU: 20
    Hops: Perle, Cascade
    Malt: Pale, Dark Munich, Crystal
    Notes: Caramel and nut flavours, combined with a smooth malt profile leading to a vanilla finish

The dark Munich is from Gambrinus Malting, and it's closer to some melanoidin malts... use it sparingly or it'll be too meaty. You just want enough for the bread and nut flavours to come through. Add the vanilla after secondary so the fermentation doesn't scrub it off.

smekermann and Nathanb like this.
  3. Nathanb

Nathanb Initiate (110) Mar 19, 2017 Australia

Thanks for the info on the dark Munich and vanilla Derek! I Will have to give that a try next and see how I go. I'm still quite the rookie when it comes to using vanilla, are you saying just to cut and scrape the seeds out of a few beans and drop them into the keg before transferring the beer into it?

Cheers!

4. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (3,461) Apr 2, 2005 British Columbia (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Oops, I meant add the vanilla after primary... if you're not doing a secondary, maybe added it once the primary fermentation slows down. I don't think I'd add it to a keg, but I've never tried!

Nathanb likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe