Tree House Brewing Company (March 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (183) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday (the first, of two canning runs, is posted on Tuesday but both are sold on Wednesday). Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot or Native bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park. It's winter and it's cold out there so make room to close the door!

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 4-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

Per an arrangement with the town, Tree House will open early if all the parking lots are full.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

ON BUSY WEEKNIGHTS GROWLER CARDS MAY BE CAPPED ~ 350

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress. By the way, Tree House has it's own FAQ page that is well written and everybody should read it before reaching out for answers)

http://treehousebrew.com/faq/

There isn't a tap room where you can drink except for special pour days (see below). All beer sold to-go and only available at the brewery. Tree House beer swag is sold at the brewery. They have some nice stuff.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

The beer you purchase at Tree House can be enjoyed at Westview Creamery on East Hill Road, and at BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge. Both establishments carry BYOB rights!

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans but they can sell out of cans before closing time. Check their twitter feed for real time updates.

There is no canning runs on Saturday. You will only get cans on Saturday if they did not sell out of cans on the previous day (Friday). You can still get growlers on Saturday and maybe some surprises.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :)

Is there a bottle shop nearby for other beers (ie Trillium)?

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, is the closest. It's 20 minutes away. It's just past BT's Smokehouse.

submitted by @YS1977 (Yankee Spirits)

Wednesday morning is usually the better day to get Trillium from us during the week. We're usually sold out by mid-afternoon Wednesday, so usually no luck on Trillium for Thursdays. We don't get our weekly delivery until Friday evening or Saturday morning. Sturbridge - @yankeestur

What about a line?

If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line. There is only one line, which is the can line. You have the option for growlers by filling out the growler slips. The paper slips are numbered so they get filled in the order you are standing in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go?

Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

Where do I park?

Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the red shirted guy with the red sticks on busy days. Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road.

How do I get the rare releases?

Certain beers are released silently to maintain a manageable situation for our staff, retail shop, and neighborhood. Bottom line, you find out on this thread when somebody is lucky enough to be at the brewery on that special day and posts it on this thread.

PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

* Pour Days *

Are occasional and intermittent. Tree House gets asked about it frequently.

Good Morning

Good Morning releases are silent releases and thus are NOT announced ahead of time. Nobody, outside of Tree House staff, know the release days. Good Morning has only been released in their 750 mL growlers in very limited quantities per person. This is done to allow as many people, as possible, to try and enjoy this beer. Growlers of it usually last more than one day, so don't worry if you miss the first silent release day. There is no guarantee that Good Morning will be released this winter but Nate knows how much people love that beer.

Other things...
    • Don't throw stuff in/destroy the koi pond
    • Children, dogs and families are always welcome at Tree House

Busy Parking Days:

REGARDING PARKING ON VERY BUSY EVENINGS - AS A FIRST OPTION, ALWAYS PULL INTO TREE HOUSE PARKING LOT. LOOK FOR TREE HOUSE STAFF IN RED SHIRTS TO GUIDE YOU. ALSO, PLEASE DRIVE SLOW AND WITH EXCEPTIONAL CAUTION ON EAST HILL AND MUNN ROAD - THANK YOU!

Historical information on can/bottle releases:

Awesome Tree House can release spreadsheet done by @BeerTraveler33.

In his own words:

Feel free to remind me, @BeerTraveler33, to update this as I usually only update the file on my work PC and I forget to update the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWyBt7I2feobTsX5GcZvm91pn3fxuxEu-cI8oodXBi8/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet that you seen cropped, cut, and pasted on posts. Full credit should be given to @BeerTraveler33 for creating and maintaining it.

2. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (147) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

Doppelganger, 6 per. Interesting combo for a Wednesday!

earljones199 and skleice like this.
  3. danclark312

danclark312 Initiate (116) Jan 21, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Heading up this week with my mom. Anything else to do in the area that she might enjoy?

4. JLK7299

JLK7299 Zealot (520) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Heres to another great month Treehouse Peeps!

5. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Devotee (442) Dec 16, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Old Sturbridge Village maybe.

Barracudas likes this.
  6. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (333) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Doppel and Sap is a great combo. I like seeing Sap show up more often lately.

skleice likes this.
  7. skleice

skleice Aspirant (202) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah, nice piney/dank combo....but still always juicy and delicious. These two need a legit can!

8. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (139) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

My favorite th brew and my least favorite th brew....

9. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Which is which?

10. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (139) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That goes without saying. Is sap anyone's favorite brew? ;)

I just don't get sap, personally. I know that some people enjoy it.

11. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Sap is my 2nd-favorite TH brew behind Green. DG is tied with Julius for #3. I love what they wring out of the Chinook hop.

skleice likes this.
  12. beardfacejesus

I knew it seemed rare, but didn't realize just how rare. According to the shared Google doc, in all of 2016, only once did they release 2 non-core 4 beers on a Wednesday. Granted, they've already done it twice since the start of 2017. Not trying to make any point, just knew it was uncommon to not see a core 4 beer available on a Wednesday.

13. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

For my edification, 'core 4' is Julius, Green, Haze and Alter Ego?

14. beardfacejesus

Yep. Just a nickname I gave them to save time on typing out all 4 names. o_O

15. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (52) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

First Charlton job was posted on Twitter last night: http://treehousebrew.com/shipping-receiving/

Seems like this keeps them on track for the targeted first half of 2017 opening. Based on Nate's Twitter, seems like the first Charlton-brewed batch will be mid-May. I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling Monson-brewed stuff in Charlton to alleviate parking before that batch is ready.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  16. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (235) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Dean did a brief radio interview in CT last week, said production is ahead of schedule in Charlton. "We envisioned August-September opening, but now maybe mid-summer, June-July."

Mikecap, mschofield, Sheppard and 4 others like this.
  17. beardfacejesus

18. Matted24

Matted24 Initiate (135) Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Any regulars there today that might have an idea as to what the odds of 6 pp of Sap and Doppel lasting till 5:30ish is?

19. beardfacejesus

They should be doing a case update pretty soon on Twitter.

20. agreenman19

agreenman19 Champion (897) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That's gonna be tight. Too close for comfort.

21. Matted24

Beer Trader

Thanks for the input. I've never managed to get my hands on Sap or Doppel so I was stoked on this lineup. I can probably get there around 5:30 tomorrow as well, so hopefully any leftovers from today last till then!

22. beardfacejesus

Worst case, you'll be able to get growlers of it tomorrow...I just don't see it surviving the night, let alone until 5:30 tomorrow. I'm hoping for an 8 can release tomorrow of Haze or Green, personally.

23. agreenman19

agreenman19 Champion (897) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

By "tight", I mean there's a good chance it sells out by 5:30!

24. TPIR

TPIR Initiate (143) Jan 29, 2017 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Maybe the fact that they released all four core beers last week has something to do with it. Just a thought.

25. beardfacejesus

Absolutely. That's gotta be nearly as rare as not seeing a core beer on Wednesday. Guess I gotta call up the Google doc again. o_O

26. beardfacejesus

No tweets saying they sold out of either can, so there should be a bit left over for the early birds tomorrow.

27. skleice

skleice Aspirant (202) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Website updated:

Sap - 70 cases
    Doppelgänger - 40 cases

28. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (52) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer.

Thanks!

mschofield, pdy90727 and Sabtos like this.
  29. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (166) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

People should really consider going tomorrow because this batch of doppel should not be sitting around. I know there were some questions about recent Green/Alter batches but this is tremendous.

Gsulliv2 likes this.
  30. Matted24

Beer Trader

Kicking myself for not just taking the risk and driving out yesterday. I'll definitely be taking the trek either tonight or tomorrow.

31. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (176) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Silent release today?

32. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (156) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

It's one of my favorites. I love it.

mschofield likes this.
  33. JSackett

JSackett Initiate (139) Oct 13, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Julius 6pp

34. beardfacejesus

Was hoping for Haze or Green, but I'll always take more Julius...6 per, 10 cans total if you get there early enough.

35. Matted24

Beer Trader

Sap and Doppel at 2 pp with those case counts should hold pretty well over the first two hours I'd assume.

36. TPIR

Beer Trader

So we're in total speculation mode now, but does only releasing 6 Julius for a total of 10 cans indicate that they may not be advertising what could potentially fit in those last two slots?

37. TPIR

Beer Trader

Curious, what's your definition of "early enough"?

38. Matted24

Beer Trader

Well if everyone buys their full allotment...
    70 cases of Sap at 2 pp = Be one of the first 840 people.
    40 cases of Doppel at 2 pp = Be one of the first 480 people.

At 500 cases you're safe for Julius.

39. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (131) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

My guess is they'll up the Julius to 8 cans once sap/dopple run out

40. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (136) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Unlikely. There are always Sap and Doppelgänger fills tonight for diehards. Also, keeping Julius at 6 will likely leave an allotment of 3 or 4 cans for tomorrow which will likely mean a limit of 6 of tomorrow's brew in addition. That should leave some of tomorrow's cans for Saturday. I doubt that they will have a back to back Saturday pour license but could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe