Tree House Brewing Company (May 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (202) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday (the first, of two canning runs, is posted on Tuesday but both are sold on Wednesday). Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot or Native bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park. Make room to close the door!

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 4-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

Per an arrangement with the town, Tree House will open early if all the parking lots are full.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

ON BUSY WEEKNIGHTS GROWLER CARDS MAY BE CAPPED ~ 350

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress. By the way, Tree House has it's own FAQ page that is well written and everybody should read it before reaching out for answers)

http://treehousebrew.com/faq/

There isn't a tap room where you can drink except for special pour days (see below). All beer sold to-go and only available at the brewery. Tree House beer swag is sold at the brewery. They have some nice stuff.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

The beer you purchase at Tree House can be enjoyed at Westview Creamery on East Hill Road, and at BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge. Both establishments carry BYOB rights!

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans but they can sell out of cans before closing time. Check their twitter feed for real time updates.

There is no canning runs on Saturday. You will only get cans on Saturday if they did not sell out of cans on the previous day (Friday). You can still get growlers on Saturday and maybe some surprises.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :slight_smile:

Is there a bottle shop nearby for other beers (ie Trillium)?

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, is the closest. It's 20 minutes away. It's just past BT's Smokehouse.

submitted by @YS1977 (Yankee Spirits)

Wednesday morning is usually the better day to get Trillium from us during the week. We're usually sold out by mid-afternoon Wednesday, so usually no luck on Trillium for Thursdays. We don't get our weekly delivery until Friday evening or Saturday morning. Sturbridge - @yankeestur

What about a line?

If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line. There is only one line, which is the can line. You have the option for growlers by filling out the growler slips. The paper slips are numbered so they get filled in the order you are standing in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go?

Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

Where do I park?

Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the red shirted guy with the red sticks on busy days. Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road.

How do I get the rare releases?

Certain beers are released silently to maintain a manageable situation for our staff, retail shop, and neighborhood. Bottom line, you find out on this thread when somebody is lucky enough to be at the brewery on that special day and posts it on this thread.

PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

* Pour Days *

Are occasional and intermittent. Tree House gets asked about it frequently.

Other things...
    • Don't throw stuff in/destroy the koi pond
    • Children, dogs and families are always welcome at Tree House

Busy Parking Days:

REGARDING PARKING ON VERY BUSY EVENINGS - AS A FIRST OPTION, ALWAYS PULL INTO TREE HOUSE PARKING LOT. LOOK FOR TREE HOUSE STAFF IN RED SHIRTS TO GUIDE YOU. ALSO, PLEASE DRIVE SLOW AND WITH EXCEPTIONAL CAUTION ON EAST HILL AND MUNN ROAD - THANK YOU!

Historical information on can/bottle releases:

Awesome Tree House can release spreadsheet done by @BeerTraveler33.

In his own words:

Feel free to remind me, @BeerTraveler33, to update this as I usually only update the file on my work PC and I forget to update the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWyBt7I2feobTsX5GcZvm91pn3fxuxEu-cI8oodXBi8/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet that you seen cropped, cut, and pasted on posts. Full credit should be given to @BeerTraveler33 for creating and maintaining it.

2. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (153) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

Might I suggest editing the first post to include info about the Brimfield fair taking place May 9-14th, and the effect it has on traffic?

3. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

Unfortunately, I'm unable to edit the first post after the thread is created. If people make suggestions for the next month, I have the time to make adjustments.

Hopefully, people will read your second post about the traffic and maybe you can elaborate how bad it was last year.

4. JLK7299

JLK7299 Zealot (568) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

heres to a great new month!

5. beardfacejesus

Ok cool, just something to keep in mind for July & September.
    I guess I would just say for the people that have never dealt with it before, if you get to TH by getting off the Pike in Sturbridge and heading through Brimfield, Rt 20 is going to be extremely busy with the fair...like, stand-still traffic busy as pedestrians cross the street, and trucks are loading/unloading stuff. You're much better off passing the Sturbridge exit, getting off in Palmer, and backtracking, especially if time is an issue.

6. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (346) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I made the mistake of driving through that on my way to Tree House last year. Never again. That was a FML moment of epic proportions.

7. scrub0bk

scrub0bk Initiate (171) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If we're coming from the east on 90 should it be alright? Planning on stopping by that Friday on my way to boston. thanks!

8. beardfacejesus

The Pike will be fine...well, as fine as the Pike can be on a Friday...it's Rt 20 that's the issue, and you'd only run into that if you use the Sturbridge exit. Like I said, I'd suggest using exit 8 Palmer, and then make your way down Brimfield Rd. If they happen to cap growlers, or if there's a chance they can sell out of leftover Thursday cans and you don't want to waste any time getting there, you're much better off avoiding the Sturbridge exit that week.

cgwami and scrub0bk like this.
  9. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (191) Apr 3, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I've never experienced problems coming in to Tree House. Heading east on 20 towards the Pike and Boston (after the visit) is where you get screwed.

scrub0bk likes this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,450) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

2017 Brimfield Show Dates
    May 9 -14 • July 11-16 • Sept 5-10

2018 dates
    May 8-13 • July 10-15 • Sept 4-19

Hopefully this is the last week it affects Tree House visits and the new brewery is open by July 11

11. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,450) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I think the spreadsheet is off

week of 4/24 the Weds #1 was 6 Haze, the Weds #2 was 6 Green, not Doppelganger/Doubleganger

Doppel/Double was the Thursday
    Julius was the Friday not the Thursday
    Looks like the Thurs, Fri cans got moved over a column and overwrote the Weds #2

week of 4/3 it was Haze (6), Bright (6) not 6&5

kuntmissioner likes this.
  12. DrugsDelaney

DrugsDelaney Initiate (32) Feb 15, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This is going to be a nightmare when the new brewery opens. The stretch of 20 where it goes from two lanes to one is already congested and won't be able to handle the increased traffic well.

13. Larueminati

Larueminati Aspirant (214) Sep 3, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So you're saying their's a chance...?

JLK7299 likes this.
  14. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

fify

@BeerTraveler33
    , please read the above.

15. spookyemperor

spookyemperor Initiate (122) Apr 1, 2017 Massachusetts

According to the th Twitter the brewery is opening "late summer" so I'd assume August/September

16. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Dr J, 6pp for first can of the month tomorrow.

17. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (257) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Have they been selling out before 6 on Wednesdays as of late?

18. Larueminati

Beer Trader

Lately it's been pretty much @ or before 4

19. agreenman19

agreenman19 Savant (988) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

All depends on what's available. Bright, Lights On, and Sap don't seem to bring the big crowds. Anything new or not often brewed brings huge crowds. Core combos like Julius+Green are early sellouts. Julius paired with pretty much anything is likely to be popular.

[​IMG]

Some notes on this spreadsheet's recent releases: on 4/3, Haze sold out at 4:30pm and Bright did not. On 4/17, C34 sold out before 4:00pm, but Sap lingered til 5:53pm. On 4/24, Haze sold out at 4:04pm, and Green was tweeted to have 6 cases left at 5:09pm, but there was never a sellout tweet or facebook post, so I don't know if/when they actually sold out. I can't imagine 6 cases lasting a whole hour though... didn't see anybody talking about Green cans the next day either.

Usually beers sell out within a half hour of each other.

20. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (201) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sorry to those who hate prediction posts but tomorrow has Alter Ego written all over it. It's been a long time and it's a nice contrast with Julius

ChrisV784 likes this.
  21. Swats

Swats Initiate (120) Jul 1, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Good guess!! 6 Alter.

22. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Julius and Alter Ego... do we think they sell out before 3?

23. Larueminati

Beer Trader

I'm going to predict 4:15 sellout for everything.

24. JLK7299

JLK7299 Zealot (568) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Teach me your ways wise Jedi

25. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (201) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Haha it just really jumped out looking at the spreadsheet over the last 5 weeks or so. Have fun everyone, that's a killer 12 pack to take home today

26. mja271

mja271 Initiate (141) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Gonna need to get a Eureka drop with the weather turning nice.

BababooeyHTJ and JLK7299 like this.
  27. DrugsDelaney

DrugsDelaney Initiate (32) Feb 15, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

After years of kindly dealing with idiots, Tree House's Twitter finally starting to crack...

28. drunk_gnome

drunk_gnome Initiate (120) Sep 20, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

What the hell.

They're far more patient than I would be, that's for damn certain. I've never found it difficult to watch the case count and determine whether or not it's a viable trip without resorting to...that.

29. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

TH Twitter Team does a good job of ignoring a large chunk of the dumber questions

Sheppard and JonB25 like this.
  30. agreenman19

agreenman19 Savant (988) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

And politely answering many dumb questions too.

31. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (145) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

This batch of alter ego is one of those fantastic batches. I'm not normally that big on the brew. This is fantastic. I've only had one other batch on par. Can't wait to crack a Julius. I've had a few of those abnormally good batches. Not much compares

JonB25 likes this.
  32. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (145) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

The last friday before memorial day was a case of eureka with nelson. That was sweet. Was perfect for me. Went through most of it myself that weekend lol.

They've been a lot busier since sadly. Don't get me wrong it was a damn zoo that day. Was when I first started going regularly. Though that an hour before open was too early lol.

This fall is busier than that summer. Or it at least seems that way.

Would kill for some eureka with galaxy. Even a 12 pack of it.

JonB25 likes this.
  33. Sqhead

Sqhead Aspirant (250) Jul 5, 2007 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Do any of you work for a living? How does every release sell out by 4:30 PM? :confused:

7irondave likes this.
  34. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Edgy and progressive thinking right here ^^

Shyla987 and skleice like this.
  35. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (141) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

"God, why cant people just understand that not everyone works a 9-5 job" as many people have said when complaints like that come up.

On a different note, i finally had one of my cans of single shot and it was pretty good for just plain coffee stout. That alone probably wouldnt have been worth the trip, but being able to make some friends and coworkers happy by giving them the IPAs i picked up as well made it worth it.

36. Denami

Denami Initiate (121) Apr 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think the more surprising thing to me is that ~2000 people are either able to take the day off, leave early or don't work a 9-5 every single Wednesday.

Larueminati likes this.
  37. skleice

skleice Aspirant (221) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Even without counting people that come from far away, it's an incredibly densely populated area.

Shyla987 likes this.
  38. Larueminati

Beer Trader

Alter ego is such a sleeper, DDH Julius. Does it get better.... well yes but alter ego is f'n awesome.

Glazoo likes this.
  39. BEEPOP

BEEPOP Aspirant (225) Sep 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Haven't gone in months but used to go 1-2 times a week. Took days off/left early only to work a Saturday to make up for it because of my flexibility. I'm also at least 2.5 hours away if I am at work so that gives me a very small window to even get anything nowadays.

If you work "normal" hours and aren't a boss or have flexibility you are reduced to Saturdays and the mercy of what is left. Charlton cannot come soon enough as college is about to get out ...

40. JoeB51982

JoeB51982 Initiate (160) Jan 10, 2008 Rhode Island

I think many folks go to TH on their "lunch break" so that might explain the early sell outs. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.