Tree House Brewing Company (October 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday (the first, of two canning runs, is posted on Tuesday but both are sold on Wednesday). Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot or Native bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park.

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 5-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

ON BUSY WEEKNIGHTS GROWLER CARDS MAY BE CAPPED ~ 350

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress and yes, I did not finish my edits but some changes are listed. Hope to have it completed next month. By the way, Tree House has it's own FAQ page that is well written and everybody should read it before reaching out for answers)

http://treehousebrew.com/faq/

There isn't a tap room where you can drink. All beer sold to-go and only available at the brewery. Tree House beer swag is sold at the brewery. They have some nice stuff.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

The beer you purchase at Tree House can be enjoyed at Westview Creamery on East Hill Road, and at BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge. Both establishments carry BYOB rights!

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :slight_smile:

Additional comments (with some edits and additions by me) are listed below. The hope is that people will read them and not have to ask the same questions over and over. There are no stupid questions but in reality the BA site has an effective search function and the below will answer most of the repeated questions. There was a noticeable difference. Also, people could just respond: "Read the first post of this monthly thread." :grinning:

submitted by @BucketsB

Is there a bottle shop nearby? Go to Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, it's basically next to BT's.

Those are both 20 minutes away? Yes, Monson is not near things. Nearby is a relative term.

submitted by @YS1977 (Yankee Spirits)

Wednesday morning is usually the better day to get Trillium from us during the week. We're usually sold out by mid-afternoon Wednesday, so usually no luck on Trillium for Thursdays. We don't get our weekly delivery until Friday evening or Saturday morning.
    As of now, no retail account has received any Trillium cans.

What about a line?
    If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go?
    Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

submitted by @agreenman19
    • Wednesday is usually 10-12 cans, two different beers, no growlers, good for beer all day (although this is not guaranteed anymore.
    • Thursday may have a small amount of unsold Wed cans with a new 6-8 pp can release.
    • Friday may have a small amount of leftover Thurs cans with a new 6-8 pp can release.
    • Saturday is unpredictable and may have cans in the morning or might not. Beer has been selling out around 3pm lately.
    • All of this is dependent on releases. Popular beers means increased chance of selling out and decreased chance of leftover cans.
    • Big IIPAs and other such releases may have a smaller yield and be limited to only 3-4 cans pp -- and expect long lines!
    • Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the guy with the red sticks on busy days.
    • Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road (can't repeat this often enough!)
    • Don't park on other people's lawns
    • The can line and growler "line" are the same thing. Staff will come out with numbered growlers slips and then retrieve them from you if you wish to fill growlers.

submitted by @RuckIt

Q: I'll be visiting in two months - any guess if I'll get Julius/Haze/etc...?
    A: Nope. Nate has said that his brew schedule is pretty much whatever he feels like brewing on a given day. With very few exceptions, beers aren't known by the general public until they're posted on Twitter.

Q: When are they going to release Good Morning / King Julius / King Jjjuliusss / Juice Machine / Very Green / IPA-Whale"X" next?
    A: Special releases are posted (Twitter & Website) at time of packaging, or sometimes not at all depending on demand, line prior to open, etc...

Q: Do they ever lower limits due to larger than expected crowds?
    A: They usually never lower can limits after opening, however limits posted on the website have been adjusted prior to opening.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

* Pour Days *

Are occasional and intermittent. Tree House gets asked about it frequently.

Other things...
    • Don't throw stuff in/destroy the koi pond
    • Children, dogs and families are always welcome at Tree House
    Finally:

REGARDING PARKING ON VERY BUSY EVENINGS - AS A FIRST OPTION, ALWAYS PULL INTO TREE HOUSE PARKING LOT.LOOK FOR TREE HOUSE STAFF IN RED SHIRTS TO GUIDE YOU. ALSO, PLEASE DRIVE SLOW AND WITH EXCEPTIONAL CAUTION ON EAST HILL AND MUNN ROAD - THANK YOU!

YS1977 likes this.
  2. pdy90727

pdy90727 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2016 New York

Drinking another In Perpetuity right now. Last week this was my favorite TH beer, but today it tastes like it's lost a lot of its brightness/citrus. Still an amazing beer that crushes anything else in my fridge (including Other Half's releases from last weekend) but I'm surprised how quickly it dropped off. Shame on me for keeping them this long I guess. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

3. pdy90727

Oddly enough the aroma has only gotten better.

4. avas

avas Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 New York

I had a crazy experience with a can of In Perpetuity the other night that reflects something similar. Started drinking it after letting it sit out of the fridge for about 20 minutes or so, as I typically do with Tree House's hoppy stuff. But for the first few sips, I was barely getting any of the Citra (and no Nelson) flavor that was so pungent on the first can I had. There was a ton of that signature TH "bubblegum" yeast/malt (?) flavor, but as you said, it seemed like much of the "bright"/green quality had fallen off.

However! As it warmed, the beer completely opened up! I've found this to be true of all of their IPAs, but the degree to which this one changed is well beyond anything I've experienced with the others. All of that orangey Citra (up front) and grapey Nelson (on the finish) really began to pop again. I thought the last few sips (when the beer had reached cellar temperature, at least) were by far the most enjoyable.

So TL;DR, let this one warm up a bit more than usual!!

#4 avas, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    pdy90727 likes this.
  5. pdy90727

Nice! I'll definitely let the next one warm up -- probably only gave this one about 5 minutes, and I agree it got better as it sat out!

6. Fitzy2

Fitzy2 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut

yeah i always let most of the "new england style ipas" sit out about 20-30 minutes before cracking the can open. drinking it ice cold masks a lot of the flavors in my opinion.

7. DLD29

DLD29 Aspirant (284) Jun 29, 2016 New York

thanks for the advice here... good to know

8. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

IP is great yet the most unsurprising one note beer they own. It is good but not unique. There are many other beers that hit this note.

Still great, just not for the accolades it gets.

9. nolanz14

nolanz14 Pundit (791) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed. I usually try and let any beer sit for 15-20 or so before opening. Easier said then done but it allows for those hops to really open up.

10. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

How is the Bear? Got a couple cans coming my way and can't wait to try my first non-IPA from TH.

11. agreenman19

agreenman19 Pooh-Bah (2,449) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great execution of an underwhelming style.

12. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Crusader (491) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Havent had it sense last year but i love it - and i say that as a guy who gravitates towards hoppy offerings 9 times out of 10.

13. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts

I also support this. Getting the beer to about the 50F level seems ideal to me as it is still a refreshing temperature while also allowing the aromatic oils to become more volatile.

14. skleice

skleice Maven (1,271) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I agree with this. It kind of sounds like a negative comment, but browns don't generally blow your hair back. It's a very tasty beer....great with food.

15. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm hopeful they start showing more of their range. I went on that Julius/Sap/Old Man day and out of those the Old Men were by far the first to disappear. Would love to see a tiny bit of ABV and body knocked off that. I'd drink it by the growler.

On the other topic, Sap is one TH beer that I need to drink cold and quick. I'm a big fan of straight out of the fridge Sap, but if I get distracted by cooking/baby/etc mid-beer then forget about it.

16. Fitzy2

have you found it gets boozy when you dont drink it straight out of the fridge?

17. agreenman19

agreenman19 Pooh-Bah (2,449) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think Sap gets more juicy and bubblegummy the more it warms. It's a bit bitter and piney right out of the gates which can make it feel empty and biting.

I've also found that it's consistently one of the best beers with age. Most Tree House beers fall off rather quickly, but Sap goes strong for a while. Gets more bubblegummy as time drags on. Just had my last one from July and it was more juicy right out of the fridge! Got progressively more sticky as it warmed.

18. Fitzy2

anyone else experience a drop off to in perpetuity? i drank some the day they canned it and it was exactly as i remembered it from last year but now drinking a couple 11 days later and the malt sweetness is showing through a lot more. never have experienced this from a tree house beer yet.

pdy90727 likes this.
  19. pdy90727

Yeah man, experienced the same thing. Even warming it up, the beer has a lovely nose but lost a lot of its citrus tang in exchange for that malt richness.

20. downesadam

downesadam Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2016 Maryland

My first Tree House experience was amazing last week. Pulled in around 2pm with the RV and the parking staff happily directed me to park next to the sign. Unloaded the pup and walked up to a line that was maybe 5-10 people outside of the door. My fiance walked the dog over to the beautiful pond and snapped some pics while I quickly snagged my full allotment of Haze and Alter Ego (and a tulip glass). Grabbed the dog while my fiance went in and grabbed her allotment. Loaded up and rolling out by 2:30 (and that included time spent talking to customers who liked our dog).

Tree House Brewing Company - A Well Oiled Machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.