Tree House Brewing Company (September 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (191) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday. Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot or Native bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park.

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 5-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

ON BUSY WEEKNIGHTS GROWLER CARDS MAY BE CAPPED ~ 350

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress and plan to have it revamped next month)

There isn't a tap room where you can drink. All beer sold to-go and only available at the brewery. Tree House beer swag is sold at the brewery. They have some nice stuff.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and is BYOB and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :)

Additional comments (with some edits and additions by me) are listed below. The hope is that people will read them and not have to ask the same questions over and over. There are no stupid questions but in reality the BA site has an effective search function and the below will answer most of the repeated questions. There was a noticeable difference. Also, people could just respond: "Read the first post of this monthly thread." :D

submitted by @BucketsB

Is there a bottle shop nearby? Go to Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, it's basically next to BT's.

Those are both 20 minutes away? Yes, Monson is not near things. Nearby is a relative term.

submitted by @YS1977 (Yankee Spirits)

Wednesday morning is usually the better day to get Trillium from us during the week. We're usually sold out by mid-afternoon Wednesday, so usually no luck on Trillium for Thursdays. We don't get our weekly delivery until Friday evening or Saturday morning.
    As of now, no retail account has received any Trillium cans.

What about a line?
    If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go?
    Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

submitted by @agreenman19
    • Wednesday is usually 10-12 cans, two different beers, no growlers, good for beer all day (although this is not guaranteed anymore.
    • Thursday may have a small amount of unsold Wed cans with a new 6-8 pp can release.
    • Friday may have a small amount of leftover Thurs cans with a new 6-8 pp can release.
    • Saturday is unpredictable and may have cans in the morning or might not. Beer has been selling out around 3pm lately.
    • All of this is dependent on releases. Popular beers means increased chance of selling out and decreased chance of leftover cans.
    • Big IIPAs and other such releases may have a smaller yield and be limited to only 3-4 cans pp -- and expect long lines!
    • Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the guy with the red sticks on busy days.
    • Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road (can't repeat this often enough!)
    • Don't park on other people's lawns
    • The can line and growler "line" are the same thing. Staff will come out with numbered growlers slips and then retrieve them from you if you wish to fill growlers.

submitted by @RuckIt

Q: I'll be visiting in two months - any guess if I'll get Julius/Haze/etc...?
    A: Nope. Nate has said that his brew schedule is pretty much whatever he feels like brewing on a given day. With very few exceptions, beers aren't known by the general public until they're posted on Twitter.

Q: When are they going to release Good Morning / King Julius / King Jjjuliusss / Juice Machine / Very Green / IPA-Whale"X" next?
    A: Special releases are posted (Twitter & Website) at time of packaging, or sometimes not at all depending on demand, line prior to open, etc...

Q: Do they ever lower limits due to larger than expected crowds?
    A: They usually never lower can limits after opening, however limits posted on the website have been adjusted prior to opening.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

Other things...
    • Don't throw stuff in/destroy the koi pond
    • Children, dogs and families are always welcome at Tree House
    Finally:

REGARDING PARKING ON VERY BUSY EVENINGS - AS A FIRST OPTION, ALWAYS PULL INTO TREE HOUSE PARKING LOT.LOOK FOR TREE HOUSE STAFF IN RED SHIRTS TO GUIDE YOU. ALSO, PLEASE DRIVE SLOW AND WITH EXCEPTIONAL CAUTION ON EAST HILL AND MUNN ROAD - THANK YOU!

There was a nasty collision a couple of months ago. Please follow the above seriously.

YS1977 and AirBob like this.
  2. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

The following will be digested, revised, and added to next month's improved FAQ. I'm giving myself homework since school is starting back up, thankfully not for me. :) Thought you guys, who didn't read these random posts before, might want to read them this month in their original form. Thanks to the outstanding BA members and Nate who posted them. I really wanted to include them but ran out of time (procrastination). I did revise two other threads this month though. Cheers.

Would like to add to be nice to the parking staff, they are doing their best to accommodate everyone. Have seen some people giving them a hard time and that's just lame. Park where they tell you and be nice, no parking spot is more than a 5 min. walk...

We are packaging Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday with each run yielding +- 500 cases for a total of +- 2,000 cases. This is more or less the norm these days, barring any unforeseen difficulties.

The Teku glass sells so quickly online that we can only offer it intermittently with our current staff.

Paste: In a post from early last year, you mentioned bottles and variants of Good Morning. Is that something we will still likely see in the near future?

NL: I have changed my thinking there. Bottles of Good Morning are not likely to ever see the light of day.

Paste: It has been some time since the last batch of Good Morning. Is there any reason for the wait?

NL: I’d say the main reason is it’s 90 degrees outside and I’m not in the mood for a rich maple stout. It’s driven a lot by mood and seasonality. If we happened to have a cool dry streak this summer I might start thinking about brewing a batch. I can’t wait – This year’s extra dark syrup is insane. Another driver here is that the brew day is extremely mentally and physically taxing for a number of reasons. To drop a 16 hour brew day into the mix when I’m already cranking at 50+ hours on the deck a week is difficult, to put it mildly.

Paste: If you could change anything about craft beer today, what would it be and why?

NL: I don’t know – it seems there are more great options now than ever before. There has been a lot of pushback against line culture, and driving insane distances for hauls, and things like that. I think the excitement is a good thing. Life’s a grind, and getting by while staying reasonably sane is difficult, you know? My thought is – “Isn’t it great that we all have this common passion we can get excited about?! What’s so bad about that?” I wish I still had the time to travel around and be a beer consumer. I dream about it!

I wanted to clarify what I said - A lot has changed about our Charlton plans (bigger, better), but we will absolutely offer full pours out of the gate.

Typically the first in line is here around 10 on Wednesday and the line really picks up steam around 10:45-11 AM. Really never sure what to expect but my best guess is that if you are here by 11 you will be out by 12.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here but with 'production' bumps in the past 3-4 weeks running out of beer entirely on a Saturday seems less likely. After 2 PM it has generally been mellow and easy for growlers.

It's 5-6 minutes off of I-84 / I-90 Exit 9 in Sturbridge - usually smooth sailing on 20E.

Random one day pouring license (sorry, already past)
    http://treehousebrew.com/blog/2016/8/27/one-day-pouring-permit-details-82716

#2 NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    AirBob and mj0126 like this.
  3. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (179) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Bring on Juice Machine to close out the summer with! (Praying hands emoji)

4. JSackett

JSackett Initiate (140) Oct 13, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Alter tonight

5. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

FYI:

*LABOR DAY WEEKEND HOURS: WED - FRIDAY WILL REMAIN THE SAME. SATURDAY 9/3/16 - 10AM-3PM* (closing earlier on this Saturday).

6. DigitalNate

DigitalNate Initiate (158) Dec 20, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

RE: "I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here but with 'production' bumps in the past 3-4 weeks running out of beer entirely on a Saturday seems less likely. After 2 PM it has generally been mellow and easy for growlers."

I seem to have shot myself in the foot. In spite of significant output bumps we have still run out for a few Saturdays in a row so perhaps a warning to check twitter and be weary late Saturday afternoon would be advisable.

cgwami, avas, jomobono and 3 others like this.
  7. AdrenalinJunkee

AdrenalinJunkee Aspirant (212) May 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

i cant get over the fact that they are selling out every single weds now... its just unreal to me... when they started doing weds regularly last year i could just walk in and walk out with no worries of low quantity. that seemed to have lasted til sometime in the winter. Yesterday my buddy and i got there at about 440 and they announced they were out of julius at 448....literally ran out on someone behind us in line. crazy to me

HuskyHawk likes this.
  8. agreenman19

agreenman19 Savant (917) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

@NiceBeerCans just dropping by to say thanks for linking to the new thread after closing the old thread. I have this tab sitting open at work and refresh it occasionally. Saves me a few clicks and staves off the carpal tunnel a wee bit more.

NiceBeerCans likes this.
  9. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

The trick is remembering to do it after remembering what's the date. ;) Miss August already...

#9 NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  10. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (129) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

I was there before 3 yesterday and literally walked in the door and got my beer and left, no one in line. Felt weird to not wait in line and inhale that hoppy goodness aroma...

jomobono and NickyScribbles like this.
  11. avas

avas Aspirant (268) Apr 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Quick question for @DigitalNate or anyone else who might know! What is the recommended storage method for Native Three bottles? I'd like to save mine for a special occasion in November, so until then, should it be kept in the fridge, left at room temp, or cellared?

Fitzy2 likes this.
  12. DigitalNate

DigitalNate Initiate (158) Dec 20, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Upright at cellar temp should be best.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  13. avas

avas Aspirant (268) Apr 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

14. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (459) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I was about 10 minutes ahead of you and was terrified that I'd drive an hour+ and come home with nothing. That's really the worst part, the effort required for possibly no return. I liked the lack of a line though.

AdrenalinJunkee likes this.
  15. JSackett

JSackett Initiate (140) Oct 13, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gonna be passing the exit for Sturbridge at around 8:05. Feels bad man.

AdrenalinJunkee likes this.
  16. ChrisV784

ChrisV784 Initiate (134) Jun 1, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This batch of Alter Ego is somethin' else. Wow! Tastes different, yet so familiar. So glad I decided to go up after work today!

17. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (351) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Man, Tree House makes all these wonderful flavors, and you choose salt.

jhavs, frekky, bfitzge2 and 4 others like this.
  18. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Still 6pp today on Alter Ego, with another can release coming. Not bad, although you should be there already if you want growlers of Green/Julius, looks like not a ton left. Looks like about 200 growlers of Green, 125 of Julius, if my liters-to-barrels math is right (which it hasn't been in the past, so...)

Interestingly, they have 200+ cases of AE cans but only half a barrel left for growlers. More of their batches being canned these days, or is that normal?

19. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Line 50 deep at 2:50 per their Twitter

20. skleice

skleice Aspirant (212) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Seems like people are expecting something big. Wonder if they'll continue to roll out Native 3 this week.

They did say Juice Machine would drop in the summer and the clock is running out on that one.

21. agreenman19

Beer Trader

Also, it's Nate & Lauren's anniversary soon, so the next iteration to follow In Perpetuity could be right around the corner...

Evmo31 likes this.
  22. agreenman19

Beer Trader

King Julius! 6pp

23. F2brewers

F2brewers Defender (654) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It would appear to be King Julius.

Let the wild rumpus begin...

cosmicdebris likes this.
  24. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (160) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Flame away, but this comes across as fanboy at best to straight out creepy. What a weird thing to know/keep track of...

25. SiddFinch

SiddFinch Aspirant (200) Dec 18, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

It's not that weird. In Perpetuity released on 9/9 as a brew to celebrate their anniversary - says so right in the beer's description.

agreenman19 and eb1610 like this.
  26. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (179) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Damn! No Juice Machine :(

27. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (244) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It was just the phrasing. Someone who follows TH closely will know that In Perpetuity was released about a year ago and will also remember the story behind the beer (i.e. why it's likely to be an annual release).

28. Evmo31

Evmo31 Aspirant (257) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

To add to that 1 year before in perpetuity (one time release) was released beneficiaries of chance (one time release) was brewed for their wedding. Not fanboydom at all, its one of the few releases that actually might follow a schedule. I think and would hope that it is safe to assume nate will brew a special beer to celebrate.

29. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (236) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Arrived at 4:10 today, lot was full and people were already leaving with cans, so they opened really early. Out with cans at 5:00, out with growlers at 6:15.

Beautiful day and everything was easy going and smooth until two things: 1) assholes (from CT! Grrr.) parking in the neighbors' driveways, I hope their cars got towed. And 2) when Julius started to kick for growlers some folks got a little bad-tempered.

30. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Is the on tap page accurate tonight?

31. agreenman19

Beer Trader

Hah! It was pretty funny to see people's cars being called out by name, rather than make.

"Chris Mendez, your car is parked in the neighbor's driveway... you will be towed!"

Rather than "blue Subaru illegally parked."

I guess the police were there running people's plates.

Crazy day. Tough to find parking and it looks looks like the locals are catching on. Some neighbors are installing posts with chains on either side of their driveway to prevent people from parking... kinda sad really.

Speaking of sad, there was a guy sitting on his porch in disbelief watching people in gridlock traffic waiting for a parking space. He seemed kind of embarrassed for us, the same way you'd imagine a father sitting at the dinner table with his son dressed in full cosplay gear.

I was that son. Doesn't matter though, got KJ. :(

kliend and Shyla987 like this.
  32. Joenap419

Joenap419 Initiate (168) Dec 11, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Am I wrong for leaving my house at 515 to make hour and 40 minute drive to guarantee I get kj?

33. Joenap419

Beer Trader

Guess not since there are 20+ people b4 7

34. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (243) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Apparently all their beer for today is already accounted for, based on the current line. Some people need additional hobbies.

35. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (320) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ya, that is just ridiculous

36. JohnnieB71

JohnnieB71 Initiate (140) May 7, 2016 New York

That's craziness! Also beer accounted for 2 hours before opening! I'm very thankful that I'm happy with their standard offerings! Of course the standard offerings are next level compared to many of their competitors.

skleice likes this.
  37. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (243) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm not there, but I would have to guess that at least 30-40% of the line are mules.

38. Joenap419

Beer Trader

I'd say by looking at line (I was there) that it was prob close to 40% mules. A lot of regulars though.

39. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How do you know if someone is a mule?

cskillage likes this.
  40. dubdrop

dubdrop Devotee (451) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

just from appearances, i'd say its next to impossible and pretty judgmental to assume someone is there just to mule. for example, i have friends there this morning that the guy no longer drinks, but is there with his gf who loves craft beer. looking at them, you'd think the complete opposite. i've also stood in line with older people who you could easily call grandparents, but were definitely there for themselves. not gonna say there aren't a lot of mules/llamas, but really, who cares?

and honestly, what's the point of complaining? mules are gonna mule, tickers are gonna tick. if you want a rare beer, play the game or stop complaining. complaining certainly isn't going to build the new facility in Charlton any faster. personally, i'm content getting the regular offerings and occasionally lucking into a special release, but i'm not gonna get up at 5am on a saturday to drive to monson for 3 cans of beer.

all that said, i'm feeling lucky today that said friends who went this morning will be coming to my house later and i'll finally get to try King Julius after 2.5 years of supporting Tree House and probably over 30 visits...pretty psyched!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe