Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (72) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Left Fort Point about an hour ago, and the line was minimal. I waited 20 minutes. It was cold, and it still sucked. But I think the drop caught people by surprise.

Curious about Canton myself. Might try and double up after work.

2. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (335) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

coconut pm dawn thoughts? Anyone cuvee some variants?! Haven't had coconut yet but I'm looking forward to mixing coconut and vanilla.

3. jjhops

jjhops Initiate (17) Feb 28, 2018 Massachusetts

Got 2 cans and cracked one last night and it is my favorite PMD variant so far--I'm not even a huge coconut fan but its a liquid chocolate covered macaroon, absolutely delicious the entire way through. I went back today and got another 4 pk

4. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

Where’s Sweatshirt?

Am I right to assume he went into hiding after it was revealed Trillium’s entire PR/social media team have been trying to unmask him?

5. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire

Still here.

Haven't been to trillium since the wage debacle. Not much to say about it otherwise.

6. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

Thank goodness

Pete_Gill likes this.
  7. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,389) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I hear ya, good points and couldn't agree more, although I recently waded back in as the Coconut PM Dawn piqued my curiosity. While I was there I also grabbed a couple Night and Day variants and Brimming Bin but like you, the game has changed for good for me. While I would never promise to stay away for good, this was the first time I’d been there since the wage fiasco. And while my feelings have mellowed since November, the real game changer for me is that I’ll never view Trillium as I once did – I don’t trust them, and certainly don’t respect them. I could rehash some of the more salient things I’ve said before as it’s been a couple months now since I’ve posted on this site but what’s the point? I’ve kinda been a passive observer like @Sweatshirt with not much to say.

But while driving down there a few days ago, I came to realize that it’s so much easier to just swallow that animosity I’ve held for so long…maybe go down there once every couple months for some special release, while continuing to seek out and try other beers from breweries I like and / or respect. The other thing is that I miss the fun of participating in the whole Trillium growth / enthusiasm thing – but everyone knows there are plenty of others to fill that void. The other unavoidable fact is that is that I still really love their beer, and as @7irondave ‘s chart from RateBeer points out – so do a few other people... So they’ll survive, the wage dustup is over, at least for most. Take or leave the fermentation change, which was probably done for financial reasons and the mass market beer consumer. They’ll probably be part of ABI within the next 5 years, you might even see them at Fenway or Gillette in the future as they continue to boost revenues / corporate value. Lastly, I wouldn't discount the possibility of another scandal of some type either as management has shown their true colors often enough, but they’re here to stay, like them or not. Either way, good luck to them. Cheers.

8. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (525) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

So what'd you think of the beer?

9. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,389) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Haven't had it yet, I need to just sit and look at it for an appropriate period of time first...!

10. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (525) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Lol
    :beers:

11. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Scaled Way Up is laughably bad. Harpoon makes better DIPA.

12. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (453) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Roflcopters!!!

StoutElk_92 and ransom22 like this.
  13. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire

Good post. I agree with much of it except that I don't really like most of their beers anymore. I used to get excited for a DDH Congress or DDH Fort Point and would make a run down to grab some for myself and some friends if possible but at this point I don't see myself making a special trip down for anything they do. I am still likely to stop in and try stuff when nearby but no longer a brewery I will go out of my way for.

hopley, AirBob and ransom22 like this.
  14. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Any IPA not from the Lighthouse series is a "nope" from me. Just reinforced my feelings with a Vicinity tonight. This used to be a mellow-ish DIPA, one of their softer mouthfeels, and tonight I just got strong bitter/grapefruit on the finish.

The new Lighthouse beers have really hit the spot for what they are and I would purchase any of these with no hesitation, but the Streets and Forts are just meh compared to how they were. IMO if there will be no change back to the old profile for their long-running beers, I would rather they just remove them from the rotation. The newer customers will not taste these at their best, and the long-running customers will taste these for the first time in X days/months/years and just assume everything is way downhill (totally different beers!) when the newly branded beers are pretty damn good.

15. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (142) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts

I feel the same way, sadly. I put up with the Streets and FPPA variants, but the last batch of Galaxy FP, A St, and Vicinity sealed the deal. Galaxy FP was very muted, and A St./ Vicinity were both bad. I had found myself largely immune to the criticism of their new profile, and some (esp the DIPAs) have fared pretty well. But if the variation is going to be that noticeable and unenjoyable, I'm totally uninspired to go drop $20-40 on their beers at a time.

I would complain that it sucks or something, but mostly it just makes me sad.

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  16. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,280) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

I actually just had my last can of the Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse the other night and thought it was way too sweet with the honey malt. The new beers and flagships have definitely been better lately, even if they aren't like they used to be.

17. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Initiate (28) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Went last weekend for first time in a few months and grabbed a 4 of the PM Dawn Coconut and a 4 of the Scaled Way Up. The PM Dawn variant is a nice change of pace and I am a fan of coconut, so the robust coconut flavor at the end is quite nice. Scaled Way Up I thought was one of the better Trillium IPAs I have had for quite some time. Admittedly my consumption of Trillium has declined sharply lately though, especially since the last batch of DDH Congress I had was significantly underwhelming.

18. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,992) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Just visited for the first time in a while.

The growler I had of Cape Elizabeth is classic Trillium. Sweet, juicy, yet incredibly well-balanced.

The can I just had of DDH Fort Point, however, is just a completely different beer than what it used to be. I usually advocate for "palate change" as a cause for beers tasting different but this is just not good. It's oniony, piney, and extremely bitter. Wtf.

At least Coconut PM Dawn was worth the trip.

9percenthurdle, AirBob and ransom22 like this.
  19. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (703) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Went for the first time since around August. Main reason is I live pretty close to Long Live, Buttonwoods, and Proclamation and they've been better than Trillium overall (Long Live in particular) in the last year or so (in my opinion).

I tried the draft-only nitro milk stout. Very enjoyable - smooth (as expected considering it's nitro) easy drinking. Would love to see in cans.

Also tried Cape Elizabeth, my first Lighthouse beer. Mildly disappointed..others have complained about it being overly sweet, but I found it to be too boozy. Before my hiatus, I had this issue with pretty much all 9%+ ABV trillium IPAs.

I picked up cans of Double Seesaw/DDH Fort Point/Coconut PM Dawn. Eager to try. Last time I had DDH FP was the old fermentation.

Solid visit but I feel like Trillium is now an every 6 months deal as opposed to every couple months.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  20. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Reporting back in on this most recent batch of DDH Congress.

Has definitely mellowed out some with 10 days in the can. Still has some sweetness but overall pretty delicious and I've walked back some of my thoughts on the initial can. All that said - man it would be nice to get some consistency. I wonder if we'll see them "dial-in" the new fermentation profile with time. I'd sure love to have one of these side-by-side with the old fermentation profile.

Gsulliv2 and ransom22 like this.
  21. johnyb

johnyb Defender (679) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I did a brief search and couldn't find anything. I had PB PM Dawn over the weekend from 2018 and man was it sour. Anyone else have an experience similar with this one?

22. HoppyStout

HoppyStout Initiate (16) Nov 23, 2018 Connecticut

Yes, about half of my cans were quite obviously infected. Have seen others say the same.

AirBob likes this.
  23. StoutElk_92

Hmm, I never heard about this. All I saw and still see is people clamoring for them to bring back PB PM Dawn because it was their favorite. I still have a can or two from 4/20/18. My most recent batch is gone I think, and I personally enjoyed the second batch more than the first, as I thought the first had almost too much roasted peanut flavor and I thought the recent batch was more balanced and chocolatey with the pb.

I'm personally excited about this. I've been waiting for the day that Trillium puts a stout in a wine barrel, and it's not just red wine but port wine to boot. Looking forward to it. I always thought their stouts would go good with a red wine barrel influence to match the dark fruits from the malt.

chipawayboy likes this.
  24. StoutElk_92

Y'all made me crack my PB PM Dawn... Found a can from 08/21/18 in my fridge and cracked it. Tastes fine, chocolate, dark fruit, dark coffee, peanut butter, pretty exquisite. I still have a 04/20/18 can that wasn't kept in the fridge, which at this point I wouldn't doubt if it went sour, and not sure I would blame it on the brewer. Guess I'm lucky for never having a beer from them go sour that wasn't supposed to be sour.

chipawayboy likes this.
  25. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (302) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

How would you not blame this on the brewer? It's a sealed can. If it became infected, it became that way as a result of what got in there before / at canning.

26. StoutElk_92

I was thinking if it got hot in the summer and the fact that it is 10 months old it could possibly have "gone bad" by now. Not sure though, I guess I should report back when I open that can too that was never in the fridge for almost a year in an attic hot in summer and freezing in winter (family's home).

Mind you, I have opened plenty of quality stouts in cans that didn't taste great after a year, even the likes of Ten Fidy and FBS, so why not doubt this one? Some beers age well some don't. I like to experiment sometimes.

(should also add I don't really think it is infected since I never tasted signs of that, but am just guessing since others are claiming infection on at least one of the batches of PB PM Dawn that I never got, and have had clearly infected beers and would even call myself sensitive to that sort of thing since I taste a lot of beers)

Want to taste an infected stout? Go pick up maple syrup bourbon barrel aged Zelato stout from Barrel House Z. Lol

#186 StoutElk_92, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  27. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sounds like you don't know how to take care of your beer. Infected, not infected, whatever, but there is a proper way to cellar beer and above does not sound like you did that.

Sheppard likes this.
  28. StoutElk_92

Not that beer, but I only have so much space for neglected and "cellared" beers. I do have an actual basement where I keep some beers but it gets a little humid and I actually think the attic is better sometimes at least when it's not close to 80 degrees inside. My aging of beers has little to do with this conversation. I'm happy with all the beers I drink, I rate higher and seem to enjoy beers more than most people on this site who review and speak about beer that I see. I'm wondering why all of a sudden everyone is talking about Trillium stouts being infected when I never heard about this before and have never witnessed personally. All of their stouts have been good for me, sometimes dark fruity and whatnot but never sour and acidic. Some bottles might have been like that, but if it was released that way wouldn't that be an entire batch? I've never had a sour stout from them, and I don't keep them all in a fridge either. I usually age a bottle or two after sharing one fresh and they are still good almost a year out.

chipawayboy likes this.
  29. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (227) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Did we just discovered a new storage practice..."atticing"?

30. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (85) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

I was shipped a 4 pack of pb dawn from a friend in CT back in october or november of last year. Cracked them 1 by 1 after receiving them and all were infected

HoppyStout likes this.
  31. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (289) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Peanut butter beers get infected -all the time-
    Ocean Full of Bowling Balls, Snowbirds VIP, Decadent Delight 2, and now this.

1. Brewers need to figure out how to solve the problem because it's silly how many PB beers have had this issue in the last year
    2. Consumers need to keep any beers made using any PB product COLD and drink the beers fresh until #1 happens.

Davl22 and Kraz like this.
  32. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Intrigued by this chocolate stout. The color on the pour looks almost exactly like cocoa.

33. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (86) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Chocolate Goodness and Double Seesaw Cherry both sound amazing. The IPAs have been hit or miss lately, but the stouts and goses are still great.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  34. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Wait until you see pics of Chocolate Goodness. :grimacing:

35. mhull

mhull Initiate (105) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

and the price of a single chocolate bar

36. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (265) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Looks like YooHoo and nothing like what was advertised.Glad I stopped buying all these releases a long time ago. They are also selling $14 candy bars smh

#196 nolanz14, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  37. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Initiate (28) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts

I kind of liked Yoohoo though... In all seriousness though the stouts (actually most Trillium beers) seem to be very hit or miss lately

38. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

It looks absolutely disgusting

39. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (49) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Some sort of disconnect here...

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  40. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (134) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

The untappd pics look... interesting.

Honestly just sounds like alcoholic chocolate milk, so I'm sure it tastes fine. I personally don't love super chocolatey stouts to begin with, so this is a def no for me.