Trillium Brewing Company - December 2014

Discussion in 'New England' started by MattOC, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (338) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

New month, new thread. It's working well so here we go again. Let's try and make this one stop shopping for all things Trillium. Cheers!

Matt

2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Any update on an opening? The whole situation with BPD and ABCC is a bit unsettling. I'm assuming it's just really bad timing in that it happened just before the holiday and they decided to stay closed until this week for a mini-vacation. But the lack of information is curious.

3. MattOC

Trader

I do not have any updates. My hope is everyone will take JC's post from the November thread and not speculate any further. As information becomes available I'm sure it will be shared. We all miss Trillium, but I'm sure this has pained them more than any of us. All we can do is be patient and supportive and hopefully the situation will be resolved sooner rather than later.

With that said, a few local shops: Craft Beer Cellar (Belmont), Redstone, and Urban Grape (SE and CH), got a bunch of bottles of Trillium over the weekend (Double Dry Hop FPPA, Mettle, Congress St., and reg FPPA) if anyone is looking for their fix.

skinny_mcginley and cappy201 like this.
  4. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (272) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Seems strange they remained closed each day. Has to be something keeping them closed not a random vaca.

nesarebad likes this.
  5. Jbrews

Can you elaborate on BPD/ABCC?

6. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

7. Jbrews

Thanks! That's so shitty. I get the whole issue being discussed about Pay to Play is hitting homes hard now. I would imagine more of the blame lies on the distributor though correct?

8. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (102) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

Seems as though they have updated the website in regards to whats available for fills and bottles. Hopefully they are able to open tomorrow. I am super-curious as to what happened last week. I am guessing its an issue relating to beer sampling, checking ID's or proper signage relating to things like that. Pure speculation, though.

9. EnronCFO

No indication that this is pay to play. Timing is curious, but Trillium doesn't really fit the profile since they have a pretty limited tap presence around Boston. Hopefully JC provides some info soon.

10. Jbrews

Yea I agree with you, but very odd that the BPD and ABCC show up timing wise.

But as others mentioned I've never once been carded at the tasting room. Granted I'm well into my 30's, it still can come back to haunt you. Hopefully it was some mix up or mess up that can be easily fixed.

11. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

It does seem like a good use of ABCC resources though. Image how many underage drinkers are clamoring to spend $12 on a 375ml of Lineage Rye....

12. Jbrews

My thought is that if someone goes in there under cover to test them and looks under a certain age and isn't carded, but still over 21. You're in violation and they will do anything they can to get $. Just like they do at bars.

AirBob likes this.
  13. emannths

emannths Aspirant (231) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

That's not how they do it in MA, afaik. They send actual minors in with instructions of buy booze. If they are carded, they give valid (ie, under-21) id or decline to purchase. They don't send over-21 people, and they don't send people with fake IDs.

There's no law or rule that states you have to card anyone. The law just says you're not on the hook if you card them and they show a certain valid IDs (namely, passport or MA license/ID).

MASSHLE and pjs234 like this.
  14. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (938) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

If you look young I've noticed they will card you, especially after that bust at wachusett brewery a while back. I'm almost 30 and I've probably been carded by every employee that has worked the bar at Trillium.

15. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Matt -- why the big NO on speculation? I agree Mebully might have gone a bit far w his "the drunk mayor" is behind the Trill shut down-- but this is a forum...it's all about the info......and the speculation. No?

16. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I speculate that JC was running illegal flop houses in the Fort Point area.

:wink:

#16 Andrew041180, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    AirBob, breadwinner and chipawayboy like this.
  17. benbking

benbking Aspirant (211) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

As someone who frequents Trillium during any nice weather on Fridays, I can tell you with 1000% certainty that I have never had or seen a full pour for free. It's not a good business decision and realistically who on earth would report something like that? "Officer, it was terrible. I went in with no idea what I wanted and the mean man/woman behind the taps gave me a full pint of the tastiest beer I've ever had in Boston, FOR FREE".

MattXT likes this.
  18. EnronCFO

A bit far? There's no point in speculation or rumor that isn't based on actual facts. If I recall, someone very early on said a tank burst or some nonsense that was completely untrue. It's frustrating to have no info, but JC seems like a straight shooter so I'm sure he has a reason to be quiet for the time being.

jrnyc likes this.
  19. EnronCFO

I mentioned this on the prior thread, but Trillium has a reputation for being very stingy on the samples. So the full pours just doesn't mesh with my typical Trillium experience. That said, I'm usually there on Thursday or Friday when it's busy.

20. Auror

Auror Defender (607) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is nuts. You'd know, so I'm sure this is accurate or at least close. Why would the ABCC shut down them down if it was only a tip and not an observed occurrence?

21. EnronCFO

They can't give away free samples or free pours above the sample size limit?

22. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (477) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

This story is wild. If it's a question of sample size, I think their sample pours are tiny, and I've been there when I'm the only one there. I don't think I've ever gotten a two ounce pour. If someone claimed that they were pouring full pours, that someone either doesn't know what a "full pour" is, or is lying.

23. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (114) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts

The whole thing is confusing and none of us appear to have the full story, so I will just let it go and say I hope they are open this week and every week thereafter (and that no one is any real trouble and Trillium isn't harmed financially). The upcoming line-up looks amazing - Melcher St. was my favorite of their IPAs, DDH Melcher St. can only be better, plus two coffee stouts, Heavy Mettle, and a barleywine? My only request now is that someone arrange for reasonably mild weather on Thursdays and Fridays this winter - it's a long lunch time walk across Fort Point Channel in the snow.

24. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (265) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been in there between 30-40 times and never once saw a full pour. I think we should all be patient and let things shake out before speculating on what's going on.

eb1610 likes this.
  25. EnronCFO

I think we have the same walk from the financial district. It is painful in the winter.

26. dubdrop

dubdrop Zealot (581) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

my heart goes out to you...it takes me over an hour to get there from my office in Brighton! :wink:

27. MattOC

Trader

FYI (per Twitter, 11:18 AM today):

"Was hoping to be able to open, but assume we'll need to close today. We're really going to need your support when we do eventually reopen!"

F2brewers, jrnyc and Bjorn2bWild like this.
  28. patrickcmcd

Damn. This is concerning.

29. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Initiate (162) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

looks like @MattOC beat me to it, but was dropping in here to say that Trillium probably need to remain closed again today. This is obviously hurting us pretty bad by now, so we really hoping to get the support of the beer community when we eventually are able to reopen. thanks to all who have already sent over messages of support, it really means alot to the whole team here!

30. bkabak

bkabak Initiate (44) Dec 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

@JCTetreault Finally stopped lurking to sign up and voice my support here. If you guys need anything, say the word. Anytime I'm in Boston or have friends/family coming to NYC from Boston, I always bribe them into grabbing some bottles, and I hate to see great local breweries in trouble.

JCTetreault and jrnyc like this.
  31. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Initiate (167) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I've got my liver on stand-by . . .

Ken_P and cappy201 like this.
  32. benbking

benbking Aspirant (211) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

so two things : #1. I am also in the financial district and a fan of Trillium, why aren't we friends?
    #2. I'm interested in buying as much coffee stout and barleywine as I can afford when it's on. So yeah, get open and get it on!

mattosgood and jrnyc like this.
  33. patrickcmcd

I cannot wait to fill my growlers. I'm also waiting for a specific beer to be brewed relating to the situation with a clever name, a la Red Tape Lager from Jacks or Undercover Investigation Shut Down Ale from Lagunitas.

Redsoxblues, LeeMarvin, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  34. BGsWo22

BGsWo22 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

Will def be in soon after the re-open. Need my Fort Point fix for Christmas and New Years. If they can last that long

jrnyc likes this.
  35. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (289) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Appreciate any commentary from the source so thank you, but my support depends on what the reasons are for the shutdown. You don't get my undying love and support just because you're local.

36. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I mean, what do you think they did that would cause you to stop supporting them? Torture puppies and use their tears to clean the lines?

nolanz14, andrewroose, jrnyc and 3 others like this.
  37. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (477) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Puppy Tear Pale Ale. PTPA.

38. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (289) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

I guess my reading of JC's post is a little creative. Asking for "support" to my ears is implying that they are enduring a hardship that is not of their own making...(i.e., they are a victim). Just how I'm taking that word choice...might not be right. I don't think they've done anything that will stop me from buying a tasty beer from them, but I'm waiting to see if they are innocent and caught in some crossfire or guilty of something and taking a hit that they deserved.

Like most things, truth will probably be far less interesting than the speculation, but JC is acting like he's been served with a gag order. If you have time to comment at all, you have time to add a couple sentences of facts to clarify IMO.

39. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm sure he would love to give every detail possible. I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure there's a reason why he can't say anything. It may not be a straight gag order, but maybe it's in the best legal interest for him to not get into details until a conclusion is reached. I'd rather have him stay silent now than say something that costs the brewery even more retail time.

40. Jbrews

I never have, have been going there since they opened so closer to 30. I usually get carded elsewhere and most assume I'm in my 20's. Must be all that time pounding the pavement and in the gym :stuck_out_tongue: We'll just have to wait and see what it was that stopped them from opening I guess. But still a no go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.