Trillium Brewing Company (June 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (199) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New month, new thread

Available beers: http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/#trillium-brewing-beer-list-section

Twitter: https://twitter.com/trilliumbrewing
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trilliumbrewing/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trilliumbrewing/

Esther’s (JC’s awesome wife) instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mrstrillium/

Locations:

Fort Point: 369 Congress St., Boston, MA
    *Growlers, bottles, and cans only - no sampling.

Canton: 110 Shawmut Rd., Canton, MA (has onsite parking lot)
    *Growlers, bottles, and cans.

On site pours at Canton tap room. Limit is lifted. Cheers!

Hours:

Fort Point

M-F: 11-7:30p
    Sat: 11-6:00p

Canton (last call is 30 minutes before closing)

M-Th: 11-7:30p
    F-Sat: 11-10:00p
    Sun: 12-5:00p

Note: Per MA state law, Trillium will only fill their own growlers.

As requested by @JCTetreault, respect the following for the Fort Point location:

Please don't park in the alley alongside/in back. We watch tow trucks pull cars out of there, multiple times a day, every day. You need a parking permit, these spots are for building residents!

WHERE TO FIND OUR BEER

ON DRAFT:

Row 34- Boston, MA
    The Publick House- Brookline, MA
    Armsby Abbey- Worcester, MA
    The Dive Bar- Worcester, MA
    Vee Vee- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Worden Hall- Boston, MA
    Pastoral- Boston, MA
    Lulu's- Allston, MA
    Townsman- Boston, MA
    Branch Line- Watertown, MA
    Brewer's Fork- Charlestown, MA
    Coda- Boston, MA
    The Salty Pig- Boston, MA
    Canary Square- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA

BOTTLE SHOPS:

Redstone Liquors- Stoneham & Andover, MA
    Craft Beer Cellar- Belmont, MA (And Many Other Locations Throughout MA!)
    Streetcar Wine & Beer- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Mass Liquors- Worcester, MA
    Julio's Liquors- Westborough, MA
    Yankee Spirits- Sturbridge, Attleboro, and Swansea, MA
    Sturbridge - @yankeestur
    Attleboro - @yankeeattleboro
    Swansea - @yankeeswansea

Marty's Fine Wines- Newton, MA (And Other Locations In The Boston Area!)
    Blanchards Wine & Spirits- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Pemberton Farms Marketplace- Cambridge, MA
    Urban Grape- Boston, MA
    Post Road Liquors- Wayland, MA
    Gordons Fine Wines & Spirits- Multiple Locations
    City Feed & Supply- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Quality Liquors- Salem, MA
    The Vin Bin- Multiple Locations
    Downtown Wine & Spirits- Haverhill, MA
    Brookline Liquor Mart- Brookline, MA

Please note: We can't guarantee that our beer will be available at our partnership accounts at all times. Please click the website links above for current inventory at each establishment. Thanks!

(old) News:

"You guys like cans. A lot.

...we're pumped to announce we're changing the packaging format for all of our hop forward beers (and recently extended to some other styles too) from 750ml / 25.4oz bottles into 16oz cans!

Batch sizes and case counts will go up as we get our legs under us.

Cans will be available at both breweries, but please note we won't be able to split the cases evenly on the same day as packaging for logistical reasons (so fewer cases available in Boston vs Canton on day of packaging). Thanks on behalf of the whole trillium team for your support to help us achieve this incredible milestone."

First two can releases in June (end of the month) were Congress Street and Melcher Street. Cans come in four packs but you can buy individual cans, if you like. Yes, the date is on the bottom.

Trillium Can Spreadsheet:

@jimmyfausto created this awesome spreadsheet. In his own words:

I've been maintaining a spreadsheet for all Trillium can release information, including sell out times, hours/days available, and other notes. I know availability is a frequent topic here, especially for travelers and newbies, so I've made the google doc viewable by the below link. (Let me know if people have trouble accessing it)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mmBOt3Bia-mo5gef5A7nENRkFSBx7NCVaSXbH9RYJ78/edit?usp=sharing

All sell out information is from Trillium's social media, unless noted. There have been rare occasions where they didn't post sell out times for a few beers, in which case I guessed the hours.

New Hours at Canton:

"OUR NEW HOURS RESOLUTION It's a new year! Time for a Team Trillium resolution: make Canton more awesome. We've always felt like party poopers shouting "last call" every Friday night, so starting tomorrow (1/6) Canton will now be open until 10PM on Fridays & Saturdays! And EVERY Sunday from 12PM-5PM! Cheers to more beer, more food trucks, and more fun in 2017."

Please note that LAST CALL is 30 minutes before closing! This applies to Canton site only.

Reminder: Fort Point site does NOT offer any on premises drinking.

2. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (323) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

3. SuperSourFan

SuperSourFan Initiate (32) Oct 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Trillium aficionados:

Of the current offerrings, which ones do you think are the juiciest and most representative of the NE style?

4. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (294) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Congress - Hands down - Single IPA and juicy as hell

Scaled - IF you want a little less hop smack but the same juicy characteristics.

Had them both over the weekend.

5. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (194) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Congress or DDH Stillings. Dialed In is an amazing DIPA, but perhaps a bit unconventional to say it best represents a NE IPA.

SuperSourFan likes this.
  6. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (317) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dialed In is a unique beast... never had another grape juice DIPA. I love it, but I'm with you that it's not indicative of a NE IPA in its truest form.

7. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Any of the "Street" series - Congress, Summer or DDH Stillings. Pick whichever has the hop profile that you like best - Congress is mostly Galaxy, Sleeper is El Dorado, and Stillings is Nelson Sauvin.

DDH Stillings might get you the most intensity, but the "juiciness" of the Galaxy hops in Congress is out of this world.

8. BaltimoreBeerLover

BaltimoreBeerLover Initiate (65) Mar 14, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I'm hoping to arrive to Trillium in the early afternoon Saturday but only have a limited amount of time to be there. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get cans on Saturday at 12 or 1 pm?

9. mpom99

mpom99 Initiate (129) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Depends if you are going to Boston or Canton. If Boston, then maybe 5 minutes. Canton might be closer to 15, depending on the parking situation.

10. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Initiate (133) Oct 9, 2016 California

See I haven't been impressed by the street beers. Mettle all the way for me when they have it. But at least with the beer garden I can hopefully taste stuff before going to buy cans.

11. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (323) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It will be busier than normal at their Boston brewery because of the Microbrew Invitational. They have changed their hours that day because of the fest.
    http://mailchi.mp/trilliumbrewing/trilliumgarden

12. jjamilkowski

jjamilkowski Initiate (168) Mar 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This weeks email says Fort Point will be open on Sundays 12-5 and later (7:30pm) on Saturdays!

13. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

I really hope they do another Cutting Tiles soon. I stupidly only got a 4-pack of Galaxy Cutting Tiles the last run and have a legit craving for that stuff now.

BigStein88 likes this.
  14. Shaymus

Shaymus Disciple (356) May 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

15. mrz200

mrz200 Aspirant (219) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

any first hand reports from the beer garden? saw a picture on twitter, looked like a bunch of dudes drinking hazy IPA's with a big line waiting to get in...which I must admit is exactly what I expected.

16. thedude180

thedude180 Initiate (139) Apr 3, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

No first hand report but saw a pic on twitter of the beer list w/ prices and was pleasantly surprised; 12oz pours for between $5 and $8.

mrz200, Sheppard and jimmyfausto like this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (611) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Through October anyways...otherwise, Five Horse is always a good bet. I'll probably stay away from the Greenway for a bit (although it's tempting this weekend...maybe 11 am on Sunday?), DDH Stillings is on tap in Davis.

Any of their DDH offerings are always intensely juicy...but you can always go with good ol' classic Fort Point for a solid representation of a New England style IPA in my opinion.

I headed there on the Saturday afternoon of the Extreme Beer Fest this year, and had no issue getting cans quickly. Granted they had sold out of some of their beers that morning (Fort Point was one of them I believe).

18. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (304) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I thought that was the best beer I had all year. Got a 4 pack from a buddy and went down the next weekend and grabbed a case. So good.

Shaymus and jhavs like this.
  19. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This Motueka Fort Point is a real treat. Hope we see it more often!

AlcahueteJ and JonnyJuicebox like this.
  20. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (140) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Random question, but does anyone remember what Trilliums first bottled beer was?
    I remember picking up a bottle of Pot and Kettle years ago from them, back when i was less into beer and just into cool things happening in Boston. I think that was their first, or my mind could have just made that up because it was the first time i had trillium.

21. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (152) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think it might have been Whiskey BA Pot and Kettle. I also remember Galaxy FPPA bottles early on.

woodfinish likes this.
  22. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (242) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

How would you describe it? Super interested once I saw they were doing that. I've got a bunched Moteuka and I'm trying to decide if I want to do a single hop brew with it.

23. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (954) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was BA Pot & Kettle

cappy201 likes this.
  24. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (271) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It was indeed. I finally drank my bottle last year.

25. jlordi12

jlordi12 Zealot (502) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

that's some will power

26. marjen

marjen Initiate (133) Jun 24, 2015 Connecticut

i am wondering how they are going to have enough beer for the beer garden. that place will be packed whenever it is open. They already have enough trouble keeping up. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

27. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (90) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

For me it was still bright and tropical like all fort points, but the stickyness was replaced with a drier grassyness. It also had a slight barnyardy taste that you typically get from american saisons. Quite juicy too. I thought it was awesome. If it was not labeled as a fort point variant I would have assumed it was a different beer.

28. chriswjr

chriswjr Initiate (169) Mar 3, 2017 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm not sure I'd say they're having trouble keeping up. I typically get into their Fort Point location to pick up some cans once per week and for the last few months its been a pretty common occurrence for me to see at least half of the cans that were available the week prior still up on their board. I wouldn't worry too much about production, they seem to be cranking out plenty lately.

Speaking strictly about their IPA's, less about Soak/Permutation/Porters which seem to come out in smaller batches and sell out a bit quicker.

29. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Ooh, DDH Melcher St. today for anyone who wants a serious Mosaic bomb in their lives this weekend.

jrnyc likes this.
  30. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (36) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think you're right. They keep expanding Canton's brewing capacity and it is paying off in terms of daily selection. Selling beer on tap is awesome, but it doesn't move volume anything like beer-to-go, (especially 1 case limit cans in 10 varieties!)

I'll run some rough math, maybe it'll be just inaccurate enough to get @JCTetreault to step in and correct me ;)

I hadn't overheard an update on production capacity in a while, so I went looking. The video about the greenway said "upwards of 3000 gallons per week" which is clearly way low. Based on number of releases per week and typical batch size, I bet a conservative estimate is 500 barrels of packaged beer per week. Obviously they sell everything they package, so we can use that as the sell rate, too. In terms of greenway pours, that's roughly 170K 12 ounce servings per week! The space is open for 40 hours per week. So just to put it into perspective, in order to sell all their produced beer via the greenway, they'd have to sell more than one beer per second for every second they're open. I'm guessing even their wildest estimate is 1/10th of that.

31. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A lot of the Trillium beers have a bit more bitterness to them compared to Tree House thanks to the ever present Columbus hop and (I'm guessing) whatever yeast they use, and even though the only thing different in this version is Motueka, it seemed to be a much juicer, less bitter version of the beer. Super smooth and flavorful. It might even become my favorite variant

32. bittym87

bittym87 Initiate (138) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just saw a tweet that the line to get in at the Garden was over 2 blocks long just a few minutes after open. Cripes. Hopefully once all the finance bros realize it's not Bud Light there's a chance anyone can actually enjoy this soon.

33. jlordi12

jlordi12 Zealot (502) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Bros > Neckbeards

agraves617 likes this.
  34. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (481) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Walked over at 4:02 today. Was already snaking through the park. Guys checking IDs seemed to be taking their time, but I'd say there were ~200 people in line. And it was almost all downtown finance Bros/chicks. One guy with a stroller, but neckbeards were in the minority.

35. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (481) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Bros drink Boom Sauce now. Not even a joke.

mattyg2k likes this.
  36. lic217

lic217 Crusader (780) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It's beer

SunDevilBeer and Jbrews like this.
  37. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (187) Apr 3, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah, and at least with the "bros" there will be some attractive girls around.

jlordi12 likes this.
  38. siege06nd

siege06nd Meyvn (1,027) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Gonna be in town week of 9 July for work and am planning on hitting Trillium. I've had most of their stuff before, so don't necessarily need on-site consumption. That said, Fort Point is only a couple miles from my hotel, Canton is more of a haul. Is there anything about Canton that makes it worth the extra trip if I don't care about on-site consumption?

Also, when do they typically announce and release new cans/bottles? Thanks!

39. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (271) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

No need to hit Canton, even if onsite is important to you, since there is now a Trillium beer garden close to the Fort Point location. Releases are typically announced day-of on Twitter, website, Instagram.

siege06nd likes this.
  40. siege06nd

siege06nd Meyvn (1,027) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Awesome, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.