Trillium Brewing Company (March 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (208) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New month, new thread

Available beers: http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/#trillium-brewing-beer-list-section

Twitter: https://twitter.com/trilliumbrewing
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trilliumbrewing/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trilliumbrewing/

Esther’s (JC’s awesome wife) instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mrstrillium/

Locations:

Fort Point: 369 Congress St., Boston, MA
    *Growlers, bottles, and cans only - no sampling.

Canton: 110 Shawmut Rd., Canton, MA (has onsite parking lot)
    *Growlers, bottles, and cans.

On site pours at Canton tap room. Limit is lifted. Cheers!

Hours:

Fort Point

M-F: 11-7:30p
    Sat: 11-6:00p

Canton (last call is 30 minutes before closing)

M-Th: 11-7:30p
    F-Sat: 11-10:00p
    Sun: 12-5:00p

Note: Per MA state law, Trillium will only fill their own growlers.

As requested by @JCTetreault, respect the following for the Fort Point location:

Please don't park in the alley alongside/in back. We watch tow trucks pull cars out of there, multiple times a day, every day. You need a parking permit, these spots are for building residents!

WHERE TO FIND OUR BEER

ON DRAFT:

Row 34- Boston, MA
    The Publick House- Brookline, MA
    Armsby Abbey- Worcester, MA
    The Dive Bar- Worcester, MA
    Vee Vee- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Worden Hall- Boston, MA
    Pastoral- Boston, MA
    Lulu's- Allston, MA
    Townsman- Boston, MA
    Branch Line- Watertown, MA
    Brewer's Fork- Charlestown, MA
    Coda- Boston, MA
    The Salty Pig- Boston, MA
    Canary Square- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA

BOTTLE SHOPS:

Redstone Liquors- Stoneham & Andover, MA
    Craft Beer Cellar- Belmont, MA (And Many Other Locations Throughout MA!)
    Streetcar Wine & Beer- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Mass Liquors- Worcester, MA
    Julio's Liquors- Westborough, MA
    Yankee Spirits- Sturbridge, Attleboro, and Swansea, MA
    Sturbridge - @yankeestur
    Attleboro - @yankeeattleboro
    Swansea - @yankeeswansea

Marty's Fine Wines- Newton, MA (And Other Locations In The Boston Area!)
    Blanchards Wine & Spirits- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Pemberton Farms Marketplace- Cambridge, MA
    Urban Grape- Boston, MA
    Post Road Liquors- Wayland, MA
    Gordons Fine Wines & Spirits- Multiple Locations
    City Feed & Supply- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Quality Liquors- Salem, MA
    The Vin Bin- Multiple Locations
    Downtown Wine & Spirits- Haverhill, MA
    Brookline Liquor Mart- Brookline, MA

Please note: We can't guarantee that our beer will be available at our partnership accounts at all times. Please click the website links above for current inventory at each establishment. Thanks!

(old) News:

"You guys like cans. A lot.

...we're pumped to announce we're changing the packaging format for all of our hop forward beers (and recently extended to some other styles too) from 750ml / 25.4oz bottles into 16oz cans!

Batch sizes and case counts will go up as we get our legs under us.

Cans will be available at both breweries, but please note we won't be able to split the cases evenly on the same day as packaging for logistical reasons (so fewer cases available in Boston vs Canton on day of packaging). Thanks on behalf of the whole trillium team for your support to help us achieve this incredible milestone."

First two can releases in June (end of the month) were Congress Street and Melcher Street. Cans come in four packs but you can buy individual cans, if you like. Yes, the date is on the bottom.

Trillium Can Spreadsheet:

@jimmyfausto created this awesome spreadsheet. In his own words:

I've been maintaining a spreadsheet for all Trillium can release information, including sell out times, hours/days available, and other notes. I know availability is a frequent topic here, especially for travelers and newbies, so I've made the google doc viewable by the below link. (Let me know if people have trouble accessing it)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mmBOt3Bia-mo5gef5A7nENRkFSBx7NCVaSXbH9RYJ78/edit?usp=sharing

All sell out information is from Trillium's social media, unless noted. There have been rare occasions where they didn't post sell out times for a few beers, in which case I guessed the hours.

New Hours at Canton:

"OUR NEW HOURS RESOLUTION It's a new year! Time for a Team Trillium resolution: make Canton more awesome. We've always felt like party poopers shouting "last call" every Friday night, so starting tomorrow (1/6) Canton will now be open until 10PM on Fridays & Saturdays! And EVERY Sunday from 12PM-5PM! Cheers to more beer, more food trucks, and more fun in 2017."

Please note that LAST CALL is 30 minutes before closing! This applies to Canton site only.

Reminder: Fort Point site does NOT offer any on premises drinking.

2. prism

prism Initiate (147) Aug 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

El Dorado Cutting Tiles showed up on website!

jjamilkowski likes this.
  3. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

El Dorado Cutting Tiles today.

jjamilkowski likes this.
  4. emount91

emount91 Devotee (487) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

again: NELSON CUTTING TILES, PLEASE!

5. jheimbigner

jheimbigner Aspirant (267) Apr 18, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Trillium just announced their fourth-anniversary party.

7irondave likes this.
  6. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (306) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Oh why cant this be on a Saturday...I get the retail reason But c'mon!

Either way I'm sure I'll go.

7. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (261) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

4th Anniversary Triple IPA too. Let the madness begin.

8. jar

jar Initiate (118) Sep 6, 2005 Massachusetts

$75 feels pretty steep for what you get. By comparison, the Cantillon Zwanze Day at Trillium ended up being $85 for 4 cantillon pours, a trillium pour, two glasses, pizza, ice cream, and a charitable donation.

9. djbrown13

djbrown13 Aspirant (234) Jul 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I realize Trillium can charge whatever they wish for events like these and they will sell out immediately. And if you add up the individual cost of the items it's probably close to retail. But my one wish is that they'd offer a companion ticket at a lower price that doesn't include the swag. If I was to attend something like this it would most likely be with my wife, and we don't need four glasses and two totes. Not even the second 4-pk really. So if they offered a 1 for $75 or 2 for $110 or so I'd be more likely to try to buy tickets.

10. NickyScribbles

NickyScribbles Initiate (110) Jun 9, 2016 Massachusetts

I'm not familiar with what they've done for past anniversary parties: do their exclusive offerings (i.e. the Triple IPA this time around) become available the following day for regular retail?

11. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (207) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yep, typically they have. I think Dialed In was an anniversary brew?

12. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (957) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yeah, the 3rd anniversary IPA went on sale the day after the party. They released a few other special beers before the party too.

13. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (737) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sunday last year too

14. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (82) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I would have topped out at about $45 with what they're offering.

15. messrock

messrock Initiate (174) Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

$22 in on-site pours
    $20 in glassware
    And what will probably be a $30 4-pk of beer
    Also - the tour and whatever else they dole out.

16. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (175) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Easy pass.

Will get growler fills of the TIPA on the Monday after and save myself $50

I don't need totes or more glassware. IMO sort of not a great sounding deal for a few hours at the brewery

17. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (239) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I went last year, had an awesome time. Ill try again this year. People bitched about the price last year, they sold out in 1 min and Trillium gave a bit of extra swag.

They should charge more. Price people out and really test the waters of where the price evens out with demand for goods of that cost. No one buying trillium beer is hard off. If they are, they are dumb and deserve to pay more or get priorities right.

18. JSackett

JSackett Initiate (142) Oct 13, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I heard El Dorado CT is bomb. What's the word guys?

19. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (168) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

Yes, they should make their 4th-anniversary event accessible only to their wealthiest fans because craft beer is truly for life's winners.

20. zeuiax

zeuiax Aspirant (243) May 1, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

With all due respect, if we have to be "wealthy" to afford a $75 beer event...then we must living in a wrong country. A case of craft beer costs more than that these days. And by no means I consider $75 is chump change.

emount91 likes this.
  21. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (168) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

I was responding to a post suggesting they should charge more and "price people out."

jrnyc, CraftBeerLos and LukieBL like this.
  22. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (129) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

Anyone care to comment on the El Dorado Cutting Tiles? Wondering how root beer and honey goes together...

23. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (239) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

75 has already priced people out. Not because they are poor and the people with that money are the glitterati but because it it more than they are willing to pay. They should keep going in that directio. Until it takes an hour to sell out. They make more money and more people have time to breathe.

24. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (104) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Triple IPA sounds interesting...wondering if they've figured out what was going on with the other ludicrously hopped beers from the summer(headroom/never and again) that were giving a lot of people that green/burning sensation.

I have a feeling they're going to go the route of a pure lupulin powder beer...which I would not be terribly excited about.

25. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hyped for the TRIPA!

I wonder if this will be like Scaled Way Up

26. emount91

surprised theyre even calling anything a triple IPA, they called Heavy Mettle a double.

27. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (184) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I have to imagine there is a line where the ticket cost is high enough that even if an event still sells out fast, enough people are miffed at being priced out that the loss of those people's goodwill (and potential future $) isn't worth the immediate profit. (For the record I don't think $75 for these tickets or $22 for a 4pk are particularly close to that breaking point.) I certainly can't knock Trillium for creeping the price up with increasing demand, especially with the amount they continue to reinvest in expanding the brewery. I do take a lot of interest however in how rising prices affect the popularity of the industry - it's natural economics, but also risky when the degree to which even the "best" beer is cheaper than wine seems to be a major selling point for some entering this "hobby."

28. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (319) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Unless I forget something, I don't think Trillium has ever done an IPA topping 10 percent. As they're calling this a Triple IPA and Heavy Mettle is a DIPA at 9.3, I expect we'll see the first Trillium IPA that crosses the 10 percent threshold.

Certainly interested to see what they do.

emount91 likes this.
  29. hopley

hopley Champion (835) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Totally agree - i would imagine them pushing the envelope just a bit but not too too far - if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on a non-lupulin powder 10.3% juice bomb.

emount91 likes this.
  30. Patches826

Patches826 Defender (686) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Think they'll have the cajones to charge more than $22 for the TIPA?

31. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (278) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

My guess is $25 per four pack, 2-per person limit.

emount91 likes this.
  32. 7irondave

7irondave Disciple (303) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I hope not

33. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'll take the over.

I personally don't get the appeal of the TIPA. Never had one I really liked and I don't appreciate the extra ABV either.

LukieBL, hopley, mschofield and 3 others like this.
  34. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (174) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Having had Other Half's 3rd Anniversary (they did not however, bill it as a triple IPA) that came in at 10%, I'm interested.

But ya, expecting at least 25 for the 4pk

35. emount91

$24 or $25 for the pack is my guess. the Scaled Way Up bottles were extremely expensive.

36. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (245) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Scaled Way Up bottles were $13 which was the same price point as Heavy Mettle bottles at the time. That said I'd expect the anniversary beer to be $24 or $25, in the neighborhood of the Headroom 4-packs.

37. buking21

buking21 Disciple (335) Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They already went to $23 for either Headroom or The Beer That Shall Not Be Named (& Again), didn't they? So I would expect this to be higher--I'll say $24...

38. CraftBeerLos

CraftBeerLos Initiate (170) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Wish they would have actually previewed the taplist...

39. jimmyfausto

jimmyfausto Initiate (129) Jul 28, 2014 Massachusetts

They've only went to $23 once, for Headroom. Before canning they said that 4pks would range from $13-$22. They have stayed true to that with the exception of Headroom, which, it seems, has extra hops.

I don't know why everyone on here assumes they'll go over $22 for a beer just because it is higher abv, but we'll see. Everyone jumping over themselves to say they'd guess $25 only enforces that they can charge whatever they want.

LukieBL likes this.
  40. Hos

Hos Aspirant (229) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just my second time there and picked some up on Wednesday. Love being able to get a mixed case all of kinds I haven't had yet. I really liked the El Dorado Cutting Tiles. Taste was unique and delicious and smell was great. Looking forward to drinking more of it this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.