Trillium Brewing Company (May 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (202) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New month, new thread

Available beers: http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/#trillium-brewing-beer-list-section

Twitter: https://twitter.com/trilliumbrewing
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trilliumbrewing/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trilliumbrewing/

Esther’s (JC’s awesome wife) instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mrstrillium/

Locations:

Fort Point: 369 Congress St., Boston, MA
    *Growlers, bottles, and cans only - no sampling.

Canton: 110 Shawmut Rd., Canton, MA (has onsite parking lot)
    *Growlers, bottles, and cans.

On site pours at Canton tap room. Limit is lifted. Cheers!

Hours:

Fort Point

M-F: 11-7:30p
    Sat: 11-6:00p

Canton (last call is 30 minutes before closing)

M-Th: 11-7:30p
    F-Sat: 11-10:00p
    Sun: 12-5:00p

Note: Per MA state law, Trillium will only fill their own growlers.

As requested by @JCTetreault, respect the following for the Fort Point location:

Please don't park in the alley alongside/in back. We watch tow trucks pull cars out of there, multiple times a day, every day. You need a parking permit, these spots are for building residents!

WHERE TO FIND OUR BEER

ON DRAFT:

Row 34- Boston, MA
    The Publick House- Brookline, MA
    Armsby Abbey- Worcester, MA
    The Dive Bar- Worcester, MA
    Vee Vee- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Worden Hall- Boston, MA
    Pastoral- Boston, MA
    Lulu's- Allston, MA
    Townsman- Boston, MA
    Branch Line- Watertown, MA
    Brewer's Fork- Charlestown, MA
    Coda- Boston, MA
    The Salty Pig- Boston, MA
    Canary Square- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA

BOTTLE SHOPS:

Redstone Liquors- Stoneham & Andover, MA
    Craft Beer Cellar- Belmont, MA (And Many Other Locations Throughout MA!)
    Streetcar Wine & Beer- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Mass Liquors- Worcester, MA
    Julio's Liquors- Westborough, MA
    Yankee Spirits- Sturbridge, Attleboro, and Swansea, MA
    Sturbridge - @yankeestur
    Attleboro - @yankeeattleboro
    Swansea - @yankeeswansea

Marty's Fine Wines- Newton, MA (And Other Locations In The Boston Area!)
    Blanchards Wine & Spirits- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Pemberton Farms Marketplace- Cambridge, MA
    Urban Grape- Boston, MA
    Post Road Liquors- Wayland, MA
    Gordons Fine Wines & Spirits- Multiple Locations
    City Feed & Supply- Jamaica Plain; Boston, MA
    Quality Liquors- Salem, MA
    The Vin Bin- Multiple Locations
    Downtown Wine & Spirits- Haverhill, MA
    Brookline Liquor Mart- Brookline, MA

Please note: We can't guarantee that our beer will be available at our partnership accounts at all times. Please click the website links above for current inventory at each establishment. Thanks!

(old) News:

"You guys like cans. A lot.

...we're pumped to announce we're changing the packaging format for all of our hop forward beers (and recently extended to some other styles too) from 750ml / 25.4oz bottles into 16oz cans!

Batch sizes and case counts will go up as we get our legs under us.

Cans will be available at both breweries, but please note we won't be able to split the cases evenly on the same day as packaging for logistical reasons (so fewer cases available in Boston vs Canton on day of packaging). Thanks on behalf of the whole trillium team for your support to help us achieve this incredible milestone."

First two can releases in June (end of the month) were Congress Street and Melcher Street. Cans come in four packs but you can buy individual cans, if you like. Yes, the date is on the bottom.

Trillium Can Spreadsheet:

@jimmyfausto created this awesome spreadsheet. In his own words:

I've been maintaining a spreadsheet for all Trillium can release information, including sell out times, hours/days available, and other notes. I know availability is a frequent topic here, especially for travelers and newbies, so I've made the google doc viewable by the below link. (Let me know if people have trouble accessing it)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mmBOt3Bia-mo5gef5A7nENRkFSBx7NCVaSXbH9RYJ78/edit?usp=sharing

All sell out information is from Trillium's social media, unless noted. There have been rare occasions where they didn't post sell out times for a few beers, in which case I guessed the hours.

New Hours at Canton:

"OUR NEW HOURS RESOLUTION It's a new year! Time for a Team Trillium resolution: make Canton more awesome. We've always felt like party poopers shouting "last call" every Friday night, so starting tomorrow (1/6) Canton will now be open until 10PM on Fridays & Saturdays! And EVERY Sunday from 12PM-5PM! Cheers to more beer, more food trucks, and more fun in 2017."

Please note that LAST CALL is 30 minutes before closing! This applies to Canton site only.

Reminder: Fort Point site does NOT offer any on premises drinking.

eaglephile likes this.
  2. agraves617

agraves617 Initiate (120) Jan 21, 2017 Massachusetts

Mettle today.

Has anyone tried the Red Broken Angel? Planning to crack open a bottle when I get home tonight.

3. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (266) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Really nice beer. The raspberries aren't as tart and overpowering as they are in Soak, and the plums offer a nice subtle sweetness in the background. Glad I got more than one bottle because it was so popular I only was able to enjoy 2oz or so at my friend's house this weekend.

agraves617 likes this.
  4. SSatch

SSatch Initiate (0) May 1, 2017 New York

Can anyone tell me what type of system is used for filling the growlers / how long the contents (Melcher St) will be at it's best, assuming it's unopened?

5. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Trillium will purge the growler with co2 and when the cap is tight, the growler will last months imo.

Not going to want to wait on a hoppy beer that long but I've had fills of darker stuff get put in the back of the fridge and opened up with perfect carb and flavor 3-4 months later.

Ymmv but growers last longer than breweries will cop to and longer than most ppl realize when purged and filled proper

BigStein88 and 7irondave like this.
  6. SSatch

SSatch Initiate (0) May 1, 2017 New York

Cheers
    It won't be hanging around long. it was more of a case of if i have 3/4 days.

7. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (273) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

As of now, Congress St. is the only beer that is growler-only (cans ran out a few days ago I believe). Unless you want that or another beer that happens to be growler only, go with cans. You don't save any money on growlers.

edit: saw in your post you are looking for Melcher; those cans should still be around by then, grab a four-pack (or more!) and skip the growler IMO

8. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (201) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

And grab some DDH Sleeper... that's a sneaky favorite of mine that I feel is underloved

9. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (346) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Almost like people are... sleeping on it?

I'll show myself out.

Spoild, Newmania36, abagofit and 3 others like this.
  10. pagesofphotographs

pagesofphotographs Defender (608) Sep 15, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

How often does Upper Case get brewed? I've been wanting to try that for a while, but never see it on the list...

11. mpom99

mpom99 Initiate (129) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Maybe once a year ?

pagesofphotographs and AirBob like this.
  12. mnj21655

mnj21655 Meyvn (1,025) Apr 26, 2006 Massachusetts

I looked through their Instagram quickly and it was released in March 2015, October 2015, May 2016, and October 2016. I don't want to assume any kind of pattern but it's been awhile so we might be due for a new batch.

pagesofphotographs likes this.
  13. scrub0bk

scrub0bk Initiate (171) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

What size pours does Canton have in the taproom? I don't see anything about sizes on the website

JonnyJuicebox likes this.
  14. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (37) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

5 and 10 ounces.

abagofit and scrub0bk like this.
  15. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (143) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

16. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Capt_Quint likes this.
  17. iflah45

iflah45 Aspirant (213) Jul 8, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

18. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

I'm a big fan of Pernicious - it's a fantastic IPA - and the sours I've had of theirs are expensive but really good.

eaglephile likes this.
  19. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (954) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

20. brewandbbq

brewandbbq Poo-Bah (2,212) Apr 24, 2003 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

People should care. AB/InBev will do whatever it can to put a stop to the growth of craft beer, including buying up craft and using them as leverage against others.

OnlyTheFinest and BAMF like this.
  21. masterob8

masterob8 Initiate (185) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

Spoild, kingsleyr, jbart and 11 others like this.
  22. Rysk22

Beer Trader

Do they want to stop the growth, or is it inevitable and now they are looking to acquire whatever they can to be a part of it?

Either way, I find it pretty laughable how up in arms people get over this stuff then they go crazy for BCBS on Black Friday...

JoeK89 and VinhoTinto like this.
  23. agraves617

agraves617 Initiate (120) Jan 21, 2017 Massachusetts

Springdale (Jack's Abby) also pulled out and they're apparently trying to get some of the others who decide to pull out to have gathering in Massachusetts instead. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

As an aside, InBev is a ruthless business (but I guess most successful businesses are ruthless). I have a very close family friend who was on the AB board prior to the takeover, and I don't think people realize exactly how hostile that takeover really was.

Sheppard likes this.
  24. abagofit

abagofit Aspirant (233) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How hostile was it?

Noozle and cdilisio like this.
  25. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (141) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've seen a lot of people point this out and i dont think it's hypocritical to be against ABI but still like one beer from one of their companies. Consumers arent boycotting ever buying wicked weed beer again, but it's just something people will consider when choosing a beer that might make them choose something else.

26. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (266) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wow, I bet this news is going to make WW stuff turd up the shelves around here!

... oh wait...

27. Rysk22

Beer Trader

That's fair, but there are still plenty of people who will be "boycotting" them and still buying BCBS

28. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (128) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts

Read "Dethroning the King".....

29. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (143) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Before I posted the thread that set off the debate (big biz vs rooting for / supporting the underdog) I had a hunch it was probably going to spark a bit of a debate. AnyWho, I believe we can all agree, that good beer is good beer period. Then it becomes a matter of principle in terms of how, we as consumers, want to spend our money. That all being said, I do hope the conversation does ultimately turn back to Trillium's beers and events surrounding those beers.

30. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Idk. People are raging on facebook and posting pics drain pouring WW and then recently or shortly after ISO:VR. Not a single event. It's quite a lot from my tally.

#30 Sweatshirt, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    JoeK89 and Rysk22 like this.
  31. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Also 4 breweries, a need for capitol, being about the bottom dollar from day one discribes WW. Sounds a lot like someone else...

Not saying it is likely but I will still drink the shit out of good beer AB or no.

32. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (537) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Brick Tamland killed a guy with a trident.

33. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (256) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Galaxy Fort Point up on the site. Welcome back old friend.

JonnyJuicebox and abagofit like this.
  34. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Pffft, I was boycotting Wicked Weed before the acquisition.

(Not really a formal boycott but after sampling a few of their beers when they first showed up in state, I just wasn't interested in trying any more given the prices. And the lineup is too ridiculous, I'm not going to work my way through 78 different fruited sours at $15-20 a bottle to find the one that actually lives up to the hype.)

thedaveofbeer likes this.
  35. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (190) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I bought two out of curiosity-one was decent, but hard to swallow at the pricepoint. And the other, and here is a quote from my wife " this smells and tastes like the jungle juice we use to drink at college parties" Unfortunately, I had to agree with her. What do you think about the Trillium soaks?

36. oldbean

Yeah, and at least for me, when you sell beer at those prices, you don't get a lot of second chances after a bad or even just mediocre experience. Allagash and Crooked Stave are sitting right there if I want something that's reliably excellent, or there's probably a half dozen new breweries trying to sell me the same kind of stuff that may or may not be good, but at least I haven't been burned by them before. I had a similar experience with Transmitter. I really like the types of beer they do and I was excited when they first showed up, but a couple mediocre bottles at $18 dollars and I don't even really notice them on the shelves anymore.

As far as Soak goes, I've only ever had the first release of Blackberry. Got two bottles, had one fresh which was way too sour and the blackberry flavor had a weird sort of musty character. The other I had about a year later and it was much better, the sharp sourness had subsided and the fruit was tasting better. Not amazing (that would be Apricot Stonington) but good enough that I'd probably grab another if it didn't involve standing in line. Trillium's wild/sour program in general has been a little iffy for me. Some great, some mediocre. Hopefully we'll see some more consistent excellence from them as the Canton barrel room starts to bare fruit, but it also wouldn't take lot in terms of mediocre releases to put them on my "don't bother" list.

soheadyithurts likes this.
  37. hopley

hopley Champion (812) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've had a good few WW beers that have impressed me but I think they're way overpriced in the Boston market and there are plenty of others to try - this is now another great reason to do so...

38. oldbean

As long as I'm talking about Trillium sours/wilds, I tried Red Broken Angel a couple days ago. It's powerful, intense and vibrant at the moment, huge fruit presence and strong acidity (not into enamel-stripping, throat burning territory though). It's very good now, but I feel like it needs a little more time to settle down, and might do well with extended aging as well. I know you're always supposed to drink a beer fresh before aging it, but these things are like $25 so if you feel like you want to age your one bottle, I say go for it.

debokle and skleice like this.
  39. charliebuckeye

charliebuckeye Initiate (172) Apr 15, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I have heard conflicting information so I was hoping someone could help me out. At Fort Point are they willing to split up 4 packs? I never thought this would be an option but have had someone tell me that they do. Thank you in advance for any responses.

40. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (36) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

You can buy by the can at both Canton and Fort Point.

Spoild and charliebuckeye like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.