Trip to LA, would like to find the Pliny....

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Edsspuck, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edsspuck

Edsspuck Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2017 Michigan

Going to be in S. Cali for a couple weeks, hitting the LA beer fest of Saturday April 8, looking forward to that. I am bummed we will not be heading north but am really hoping to get to try the Pliny if available. Any suggestions where I may find in it in LA?

2. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Their website does a real good job of showing where their beer goes, used it when I was in Napa and Montrose CO. http://russianriverbrewing.com/southern-california-distributor/. I highly recommend you check with whomever you plan on buying it from and verify they have it, and if possible get yourself on a list if possible. The store in Montrose worked it that way, not for favorites, but to simply prevent hoarders from snatching it all. Good luck

3. bouncepass

bouncepass Savant (1,064) Oct 3, 2006 California
    Trader

About a year ago on a random Saturday, I found an entire shelf of Pliny at Ramirez Liquor (the one on Soto St) in plain sight. It was limit 1 or 2 per person. I've not been back (I live in NorCal) but it sure didn't seem like a special event.

Lots of places have it on tap rather frequently. I'm often in Pasadena and Lucky Baldwin's (original branch in Old Town) probably has it at least 2 out of 3 visits. Tony's Darts Away in Burbank possibly has it even more reliably. Both currently have it. I'm pretty certain there are others that are similarly reliable.

4. donspublic

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah there are 4 places in the LA area that show having it on tap on TapHunter, Lucky Baldwin's being one of them

5. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

6. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sorry to say, this isn't a great way to go about it . . . that list doesn't indicate frequency of delivery, and stores get really tired of "do you have Pliny?" calls. Plus, it often sells out the same day as delivery, sometimes within a few hours. Do just a little deeper research on the Pacific forum and you'll find the specific stores that carry Pliny, and when they generally get it. For example, Bill's Liquor's in Atwater Village gets bottles every other Tuesday or Friday afternoon, limit one.

If all you want to do is try it, you can find it quite a few places on draft, as has already been mentioned.

EDIT: Someone soon is sure to post, "Forget Pliny, there are lots of just as good or better IPAs available!" But it's worth seeking out, especially if you've never had it before.

donspublic and Black_Rider like this.
  7. donspublic

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah probably right, it worked for me because there was only one choice in Montrose

8. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You're best off setting up an in-person trade with someone here who can snag a couple bottles for you ahead of time. Otherwise you may very well spend your whole time chasing it down and end up with none.

9. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 California

if you want it on tap it's pretty easy to find. One of the Lucky Baldwins or 38 Degrees should have it on tap in rotation.

10. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Crusader (420) Mar 6, 2014 California

This item never seems to get old. The item is WAY over-hyped. There are MANY other alternatives to try; Perhaps you should seek out rather than this being your primary. Expand your horizons.

11. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

^^^
    Told you someone would chime in with this. Like I said earlier, it's worth finding, if only on tap. Don't let a couple of curmudgeons YELL AT YOU otherwise.

Miruguy likes this.
  12. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Seek and enjoy :slight_smile:
    It's still worth the journey. :wink:

Black_Rider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.