Trip tp Kuhnhenn from Philly

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pdeepak, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdeepak

pdeepak Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

hey gang,

Planning on driving up to winter solstice with a buddy on I76 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of spots to hit along the way as well as any general advice. Will be passing through Pittsburgh and would like to stop at East End... does anyone know if they have any glassware for sale?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
    Deepak

2. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,807) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber

When you hit Akron a stop at Hoppin' Frog is recommended for beer to go, but this is a production facility only - no drinking or food. Then cut up to the Cleveland area and stop at Fat Heads.

Once in the Detroit area there are good breweries in the Royal Oak area if you have extra time away from Kuhnhenn's.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  3. pdeepak

Beer Trader

Hoppin Frog is a great tip, thanks! Do you what one can expect in terms of the beers they will have available for sale?

4. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,807) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber

No I can't help with what is available now. I have only been there once (while passing through the area last Fall) based on the favorable comments that I've read from this BA site, and I bought an assorted case (everything is in 22 oz format), and have enjoyed every one of the beers that I've opened so far. Maybe their website lists current beers available, or someone else might chime in?

pdeepak likes this.
  5. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

The Brew Kettle is also along the route (I know I will be stopping there on my way up to MI on Thursday night).

pdeepak likes this.
  6. pdeepak

Beer Trader

Thanks a bunch! Will create a route to hit up the suggestions, either on the way there or back!

7. Knapp85

Knapp85 Poo-Bah (6,044) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Fat Heads is very close to Brew Kettle if you're going that way.

Let me know if you can score some good stuff at Kuhnhenn. I was there 2 years ago and loved it! Great little place.

8. Knapp85

Knapp85 Poo-Bah (6,044) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Make sure Hoppin' Frog will be open. I stopped there on my way home from WI back in Sept and they were closed.

MarkIntihar and pdeepak like this.
  9. CNelson013

CNelson013 Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2012 Ohio

Buckeye beer engine is a good stop, sort of near fat heads and brew kettle. A great draft list.

10. Sgorzynski

Sgorzynski Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2009 Yemen

East End has glassware. Pints and "fancy shmancy" aka tulips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.