Trivia nights, musical guests and drag shows

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Feb 12, 2020.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,870) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Taking with my son and friends (under 30 crowd), some of them have been going out to local Breweries in the area for trivia night last few months. Trivia night rotates each night within 4-5 local brewers participating. On the given trivia night the given brewery is packed few to no seats. Other places just a few scattered patrons when it’s not their trivia night. Is this just a local thing or is trivia night and other forms of entertainment helping keep the lights on for a lot of breweries? I was in just in the Oakland area on business and visited a local brewery on a Weekday night. Only a few people in there. Good solid beers. Barkeep said the place was packed the night before as they hosted a Drag night. So does it take other forms of entertainment to bring people into all these breweries these days? Doesn’t seem to be much about the beer anyymore. Just a new venue to go to be entertained.

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,944) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

"Drag night"? Man, that must be a nightmare to get all the legal permits for that - closing off the streets, protecting spectators, noise concerns, etc. I've heard of Bike nights and Classic Car nights, but dragging? Unless the brewery had a private track for racing, I guess... :thinking_face:
    [​IMG]
    Wait. What? Oh - never mind.

3. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,601) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Lots of breweries do trivia nights around me, and they are always packed. I typically avoid them on those days. I would rather just read Harry Potter (I was never the biggest Potter fan, but read them to my cousins, and soon to my niece and nephews, so there is a little nostalgia on that for me, but many people go crazy for Harry Potter trivia), Lord of the Rings, or whatever, at the bar again than listen to all that. I can't blame brewery taprooms for doing what they can to get butts in the seats. Cool for them, but I much prefer the times when there are only a few people there.

4. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (158) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

It makes sense to me, what with the proliferation of new breweries in an already crowded marketplace. At least locally the top tier spots - Foam, BBC, Fiddlehead - are usually packed regardless, but I've noticed that some other guys - Simple Roots, First Republic, Stone Corral - host trivia, and why not... something to set them apart from the pack.

So to answer your question. Yes, unless the beer is so popular that folks line up for it anyway, this seems like a trend that'll stick around. And hey, I'm a trivia nut, so it works for me!

5. jesskidden

Society Trader

And "Trivia" in the Google/internet/smart phone age is like cheating at T-Ball.

Once, I was trapped in a house after a 3' snowstorm in the Southern Tier. Snow was higher than the blade on the tractor. Lost power when a tree took down the line running from the road until the mountain to the house. All I had was a wood-burning stove, a flashlight and a battery powered radio. But the phone still worked [but that's a long story]. Some local Finger Lakes radio station had a call-in trivia contest early in morning and I knew all the answers. Can't remember what they were now, but I think they all concerned comic books and, of the one question I remember, I knew that the Captain Marvel WHIZ Comics took it name from Capt. Billy's Whiz Bang magazine. I won, too (I think it was a dozen donuts at a shop in Elmira). On the air, the DJ was amazed at how I knew all that stuff so quick and asked me what reference books I was using. WTF. "Books? But that would be cheating..." I replied. He was annoyed (I guess that's what the other winners did?) but I still got the certificate for the donuts.

6. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,144) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Not sure what the complaint is here . . . building IRL community that combines good beer with entertainment? One reason I used to drink beer at bars more often was definitely "about the beer," but the fact is, I can drink just as good or better beer at home these days. I can't, however, meet completely new people, run a multi-team trivia night, or (easily) put on a drag show in my living room. These kind of nights, especially if they're occasional, seem like a win for the bar and the customer.

7. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Crusader (776) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Most breweries up here in the Seattle area do live music, trivia nights, and even burlesque shows. I personally like the interactivity as opposed to just sitting on a bar stool and watching a hockey or college hoops game on the boob tube.

8. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (158) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

I wish more places would adopt a "phone's off" policy at Trivia nights. The cheating is rampant!

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (530) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Don't forget retro video game nights/tourneys!

Singlefinpin likes this.
  10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,663) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Showing your age? :wink:

11. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Crusader (776) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Considering how I lived in my youth, I consider getting as long in tooth as I have an accomplishment lol

12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (476) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

All the old farts ITT are.. lol

Nothing wrong with these types of events imo... and they generally occur on off-nights, from what I’ve seen locally; rarely if ever are you gonna see this kind of thing on a Friday or Saturday.

13. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,075) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

The Buffalo Wild Wings in the town I went to college in would be packed on Thursday nights for trivia. I have a hazy memory of attending a Trivia Night at the now defunct Kraftbrau in Kalamazoo back then as well. This was back in the mid 90's. What was old is now new.

14. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (452) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

You deserve a prize for being stuck in Elmira for any reason :grin:

15. zid

zid Meyvn (1,411) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Since brewery taprooms exist for the sole reason of putting bars out of business, there has actually been a government ordinance that taprooms are now legally required to host trivia nights to prevent trivia junkies from aimlessly hanging out on the streets.

16. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Meyvn (1,183) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

Trivia nights seem to be common, one of they breweries in town has a Grey's Anatomy trivia night (never watched the show, so I can't judge). Being old, I still prefer drinking and listening to tunes, either live bands or the jukebox. All the more reason to have a bar at the house

woodychandler likes this.
  17. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

running club, taco tuesdays, pint nights, music bingo, bands, pints and pups, brunches, etc etc etc.

just to name a few of the things being done to get people through the doors at a lot of places

beertunes, Singlefinpin and champ103 like this.
  18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,426) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You and he refer to TV as the boob tube (which I also do), but to really show your age you'd know that there was a 'game' that was introduced around 1960 that was called Boob Tube.
    [​IMG]

Each of the two tubes had a bunch of marbles that you had to shake down from top to bottom thru holes just a little bigger than the diameter of the marbles. Noisy! I'd hate to sit thru a Boob Tube tournament in a brewery and listen to all that noise.

Does that memory date me a bit?

19. jesskidden

Society Trader

Damn. I got that question wrong the other day at a Beer History Trivia Night!

"What central Michigan brewery held Trivia Nights in the Mid-90s?
    HINT - Kraft beer in Kool town."

(I said - Frankenmuth. Forgot about the tornado...)

20. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Disciple (392) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

"Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd."
    Breweries should do whatever works.
    That being said, "I'm here for the beer."
    If you make great beer, they will come.
    And if you don't? Well maybe you should have trivia.

21. horsehockey

horsehockey Aspirant (204) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

What is a brewery if it's not a bar first? People can get a good beer anywhere. They come back to breweries for the atmosphere, food, entertainment etc..... For me it helps that the business is centered around good beer, but the general public could probably care less about the beer and are more concerned with the atmosphere, entertainment, food, etc... I see nothing wrong with creative ways to get customers in the door. They won't be back if the beer sucks or the food sucks.

22. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (271) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Yep, me too!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,927) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Of the 14 breweries in town, 4 of them do trivia weekly, and another 3-4 host it either biweekly or monthly. Add in the handful of bars that also host trivia, and you can get your guess on every night but Friday and Saturday.

Comedy, open-mic nights, burlesque, and various music are also common. The Drag Queens though, are the domain of the local dance/gay bar.

woodychandler and mickyge like this.
  24. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,663) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I don't know what your reply has to do with my post that you quoted...

25. zid

zid Meyvn (1,411) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

:thinking_face:

A brewery.

GetMeAnIPA, davlo, tobelerone and 6 others like this.
  26. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (212) Nov 8, 2009 New York

I was going to mention this? Is it Possible that correlation exist between breweries who don’t make great beer and trivia night?

Singlefinpin likes this.
  27. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, first it is (or should be) a shop/plant/factory where beer is brewed.

Not to be snarky (well, a little...) but this emphasis on judging breweries on their tap rooms just seems wrong to me. A few years ago, the NJ (where there is a legal difference between a brewery and a brewpub) ABC told breweries that by regulations, they couldn't hold all these events and the brewers were freaking out because they couldn't have Yoga Nights more than X times a month.

I mean, c'mon, brew beer.

#27 jesskidden, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  28. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (142) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Not a lot of breweries are known for creating an atmosphere that invites actually sticking around. Things like cornhole, ping pong, or other activities to keep you there while you enjoy the line up of beers is a good idea. I've been to breweries where I've sat with friends, analysing the beers and having conversations but after a while you get the urge to DO something, anything, be active, and playing an arcade game, trivia, entertainment, etc is definitely welcome at a place that has nothing else but beer, even if the beer is really good. Monkish is such a brewery that I leave after only 30 minutes or so of being there because there is literally NOTHING to do there except drink, and as good as the beer is I get bored. I just take a crowler/growler and head out to somewhere else. Some breweries that don't have satellite taprooms risk people not even coming in for the fresh beer because there's nothing to do there except get the beer and leave. A benefit for some, a boon for most as far as I've seen. A get in, get out, we don't even have a food truck, brewery doesn't seem to any longer be a workable model. At least out here on the west coast, you guys seeing different in other parts of the country?

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,325) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don’t see anything wrong with breweries hosting events, beats the hell out of watching guys just hovering over their beer sniffing the glass.

30. beertunes

Society Trader

Really? it's strictly enforced around here. Anybody at your table has their out out, the whole team is DQ'd.

Redrover and Singlefinpin like this.
  31. beertunes

Society Trader

No. Even the breweries who make elite level beers still need to get butts in seats. Mon-Tues-Wed are generally slower nights in smaller cities/less active neighborhoods of large cities, and ya gotta do something to get folks the fuck away from Netflix.

32. nc41

Society Trader

Most places have half price Monday’s, or Tuesdays to help on slow nights. They do trivia nights, karaoke, etc. it’s really slow this time of year too, there’s no football at all, no MNF, no Thurs, no college Sat, no NFL Sunday’s. I’m sure most bars see a sharp decrease in sales all thru the week.

Singlefinpin and beertunes like this.
  33. beertunes

Society Trader

January is the worst. It generally starts picking back up in February. The places around here that do trivia, specifically, do really well with it year-round. Plus, once you've got 'em in the door, you've got a chance to sell 'em some food (if ya have it) along those couple pints.

Singlefinpin and nc41 like this.
  34. nc41

Society Trader

Here College hoops are popular too, especially on Saturdays, but again the weathers shit, some like me are on a beer hiatus for a bit after a long football season. Red Oak also has a slew of board games available, I bet the electronic trivia game where multiples can play like Wild Wings has would be popular too, but I’ve only seen that there.

champ103, Singlefinpin and beertunes like this.
  35. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (212) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Most of the breweries where I live (Rochester) aren’t even open on Mondays or Tuesdays.

beertunes likes this.
  36. beertunes

Society Trader

Cribbage is popular around here, and a couple places have tournaments once or twice a year. The spoartzball on TV, is kinda more of a bar thing than a brewery thing, but there's always the Seacows and UW games on at a couple places. A couple focus more on "outdoors" sports, and will show ski/snowboard, hiking, adventure-type shows. So, there's a bunch of niches to be filled.

nc41, Scott17Taylor and Singlefinpin like this.
  37. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (765) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

There was a local brewery here, (now gone), that had vinyl nights. I loved it. People would bring in old, obscure, records, it was great! Anyone remember Pavlov's Dog?

bstyle, bubseymour and nc41 like this.
  38. jesskidden

Society Trader

Rings a bell.

(Hey, wait. What's happening to me - I'm salivating and feel like eating something all of a sudden).

39. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I know some local places do movie night and also trivia. I think it is pretty popular these days and rotates bar to bar. A bunch of people I know participate with the trivia and really enjoy it.
    I prefer live music so typically I attend events with local bands or if they have someone playing acoustic etc.
    Cheers

40. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,426) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Busted out laughing! GOOD ONE!!!