Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Tröegs - First Cut (Spring Hop Cycle seasonal)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,441) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

2. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (179) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I had my first pint a couple nights ago. Solid beer. Good mango flavor, not overly hoppy, and very drinkable. Another quality beer delivered by Troegs.

jmdrpi likes this.
  3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,200) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Looking to try this one.

Also pleased that they didn't dump Cultivator to do this one. They added Cultivator into their once a year line up.

4. bret717

bret717 Zealot (536) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

That's good to hear. While I do like First Cut, I had assumed that it meant Cultivator was going away.

VABA, BeastOfTheNortheast and ESHBG like this.
  5. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Devotee (442) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I would hate to see Cultivator disappear. Especially to be replaced by a fruited IPA. Though I would happily drink both.

ESHBG likes this.
  6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,441) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

If you look here: http://www.troegs.com/beers/ , First Cut is listed as one of the four "Hop Cycle Seasonal" beers, but Cultivator is listed under the "Once A Year" list

bret717 likes this.
  7. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (392) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Mango addition seems odd. Add another citrus hop if you are going for fruity

8. cser

cser Initiate (29) Feb 12, 2015 Pennsylvania

I enjoyed the beer, but wanted more hops. 6.2% might catch some off guard based on how easy this is to drink.

9. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (126) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Had another one today. By far there best beer yet. Going on the tour Friday, so hoping they have it on draft for the welcome beer.

10. cello

cello Initiate (151) Oct 17, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I do believe Troegs stated it will only be available at the brewery. For those seeking Cultivator, they will have to make the trip.

11. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (355) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

That's interesting. I see Cultivator on the website, but it is not on the calendar I was given by a brewery rep. Hard to believe they would have printed and shipped all of these calendars, and then made further changes, but I guess they did. Bad news. Cultivator is a dim spot in a great portfolio.

12. oneraindog

oneraindog Initiate (16) Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

The website shows once a year beers that are only available at the brewery. The release calendar you received are beers that are being distributed.

jmdrpi and drtth like this.
  13. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Awful news, I loved Cultivator! Sad to see that it is being replaced by yet another fruity IPA in the market. :slight_frown:

For those of us that like variety and for those where IPAs aren't your #1 style, it's getting a little depressing as of late. Cultivator sold well in my area and seemed to have a lot of fans, a shame.

MaltheadWeirdo, johnhansen and zid like this.
  14. Hopznbuds

Hopznbuds Aspirant (248) Feb 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

just finished a 6 pack of it a few nights ago. easy drinking, i thought the mango and the hops played nicely together, neither over-shadowed the other. wasnt a juice bomb, but the fruit was definitely there. and for the price, its a great beer to get ya through the week!

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  15. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Disciple (333) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

i bought a growler of this and drain poured all but half a pint. Shit wasn't for me. My houseplants loved it though.

16. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Aspirant (244) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Had one tonight, super avg imho. Mango gives me a bit of a bad gaggy type after taste.

17. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I tried a bottle, it was alright. Would probably drink again if given to me but wouldn't seek it out.

18. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,233) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I found the sourness to be a little off-putting. I generally enjoy Troegs' offerings but won't seek this one out again.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.