Tröegs Nugget Nectar 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Dec 27, 2018.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,702) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Full info here: https://troegs.com/nugget/
    Week 1 (12.27.18) – PA
    Week 2 (1.7.19) – OH, NJ
    Week 3 (1.14.19) – MD, DE
    Week 4 (1.21.19) – VA, DC, NY
    Week 5 (1.28.19) – NC, MA, CT

Kadonny likes this.
  2. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (170) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Love this beer, important to get it as soon as it's released in your area though. The last few years I've unfortunately seen it sit for a while in NJ, and honestly it's a sin. Will definitely be grabbing some in PA tomorrow if possible!!!

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  3. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Zealot (510) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

A couple of places I go to frequently usually have something rotating from Troegs. I'd like to catch this one on tap somewhere. Troegs is good stuff, generally, and Nugget Nectar is specifically good. I'll definitely be picking up a sixer or two.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (288) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

This and First Cut are da bomb!

IronLover, RobHB and ESHBG like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

If it's fresh it's terriffic, I dont think it ages very gracefully though. Would love to see it on tap here, that would be a first.

6. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (133) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

On tap at the brewery today. Tasty to have one, didn't order a second one. Then again, I'll probably have one each of the next two days, also.

7. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (426) Feb 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Hopefully I will be able to catch this on cask on my way out. Usually can at Grey Lodge..

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (544) Mar 28, 2009 California

There is a shortage of good red ipas these days. Glad this one is still being brewed and has some demand. Since I can’t get it in CA i’ll Have to stick with my go to red Blazing World.

ESHBG likes this.
  9. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (254) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Hard pass for me. Too many better options and I love troegs.

RobNewton likes this.
  10. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (678) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Agree to a degree.

When it’s good it’s really good. When it’s off it’s not good.

At $14 a six I would rather buy other things though, used to be a multiple case a year buyer, now I’m a non buyer, always get to try one or two at a friends place.

Don’t care what Troegs or anyone else says, there are good and bad batches.

Enjoy

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (227) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have experienced it multiple times and agree with you. I haven't had one that I considered to be bad but wildly different, yes.

IronLover and Kadonny like this.
  12. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,244) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I love Nugget Nectar. I will definitely be picking it up multiple times.

IronLover and PatrickCT like this.
  13. oneraindog

oneraindog Initiate (28) Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

For any BA’ers who wish to have a better understanding of the “legend of good and bad batches” and you are coming into the brewery, I will be glad to explain it to you. Hit me up with a direct message.

Happy New Year.

14. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (254) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Not to steal or throw off this thread but I think Troegennator is criminally underrated. I’ll gladly buy that over nugget nectar any time of the year.

IronLover, DonicBoom, Ranbot and 10 others like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,760) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I suppose "bad" is a relative term?

I purchased one 6-pack of Nugget Nectar last year and that batch was "bad" in my opinion. There was no technical brewing flaws (e.g., off-flavors) but there was basically no hop aroma to speak of.

Nugget Nectar is not a cheap beer so when you obtain a sub-par product it is a disappointing purchase. In today's craft beer scene there are just so many high quality choices for hoppy beer. I will not be purchasing Nugget Nectar this year (the first time in 10+ years).

Cheers!

16. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (205) Dec 31, 2015 New York

Im a big fan of nugget nectar....IMHO it has a unique taste and a welcome change of pace from the NEIPA's.....I'm also looking forward to Hopslam for the same reason....Happy New Year BA's...

17. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (133) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Agreed on Troegs lagers.

With that said, this has nothing to do with lagers, but I will share it anyway... 2015 BA Flying Mouflan bottles at the brewery. Going to be tough to turn that down if confronted with an option to order one.

jmdrpi and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  18. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,252) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium Trader

No, though I've had batches that were several months old and still quite enjoyable I thought. When I lived in Baltimore some years back, I think Max's bought nearly every keg that came into Maryland one year, and they held onto a keg for Black Friday in November (as I recall). It wasn't all that great (though to Max's credit, they learned their lesson and never held onto a keg of NN that long again). Hudson Street Stackhouse held onto a keg for nearly a year to celebrate Baltimore beer week some years back and it was pretty much undrinkable.

As some of the old timers are aware (@Kadonny and @JackHorzempa for example), there has been considerable batch variation over the years, and Troegs seemed to have a problem dialing in the recipe when they first moved to their new facility in Hershey. I thought the last few years were pretty decent... while there has been some batch variation still, I thought the differences were fairly slight and not objectionable. Sorry to hear that Jack got a bad 6 pack last year (the one I got was fine I thought - even to my hop ruined/jaded palate).

19. JackHorzempa

Premium

Well, I had a good run. In previous years (200x - 2016) I was fortunate that the Nugget Nectar batches I purchased were for the most part 'good' batches. The majority of those purchases were cases (24 bottles) since that was the only way the Retail Beer Distributors in PA were permitted to sell beer for the majority of that time-span.

I do recall one year (2015?) I purchased two 6-packs (one was bottles and the second was cans). The bottled 6-pack was very good while the canned 6-pack suffered from a lack of hop aroma so I was 50/50 that year.

Cheers!

20. John_M

Premium Trader

Haven't decided whether I want to get any this year. As others have noted, the beer isn't exactly cheap, and then there's the added cost of having it shipped to Oregon.

On the other hand, I've been drinking NN for a long, long time (since the original Sean Bolan's in Federal Way first had it on tap many moons ago), so it's hard for me to imagine a year without NN. Plus, in the past, I did some really stupid things in order buy it (and sample test batches at release events) while living in Baltimore. So it's not as if there isn't a precedent for going out of my way to obtain some. :sunglasses:

cavedave likes this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Premium

To paraphrase Dirty Harry: Do you feel lucky….?

Cheers!

22. John_M

Premium Trader

:sunglasses:

I always feel lucky when it comes to NN. Haven't always BEEN lucky, but that's another story.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Premium

John, then my suggestion is for you to not be a quitter like me and seek this beer out in 2019.

Happy New Year & Best of Luck!

Jack

24. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (476) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've always enjoyed NN, and I'll definitely have some this year. I know someone that works at Troegs, so I'm certain he'll have some around.

I agree that it hasn't always been consistent from batch to batch, though I think it's always a good beer regardless.

I just don't think it's good enough to buy more than a 6 pack given all of the other great hoppy beers out there these days.

ESHBG likes this.
  25. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (678) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

You can’t reply here?

Sure not driving out there to hear an explanation. I love the hop fries and the beers are good but if I’m not out that way I’m not going, too long a ride to go drink one beer and drive home.

Enjoy

26. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,525) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I wasn't impressed with last year's batch, but since I've gained more of an affection for ambers recently, I'll probably give this batch another go.

27. nc41

Trader

I'm not a fan of ambers in general, this is the only one I buy, but I buy it as soon as it appears on the shelf. I buy a 6 or maybe a 12 and after that I let it alone. My impression is the retailers don't order as much as they used to, it used to be available in volume for a decent amount of time, cans and bottles if I remember right. But as mentioned above the volume of local ipas available right now is tremendous.

28. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (323) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I feel like I've still seen last years on shelves recently

nc41 likes this.
  29. nc41

Trader

That's a huge problem for Troegs, some poor guy buys that thinking its fresh and it's a year old mess of a malt bomb. That guy might never buy another one again, irresponsible of the retailer to not pull that off the shelf if it's truly a year old, it hurts his rep too. I might look for another beer store.

30. JackHorzempa

Premium

Dale, if you have beer retailers that do not have old beers on their shelves you are a lucky man.

I have been 'forced' to get into the practice of looking at the dates on the bottles/cans before I purchase beers. I pick up and put back down a lot of beer.

Cheers!

31. jmdrpi

Premium

I recently drank my last bottle of that I had in my cellar - that batch was sublime.

Still have a bottle of the regular FM, wish they'd brew that again.

Kadonny, hillind and DIM like this.
  32. jmdrpi

Premium

Oscar Blues G'Night is a good nationally available one too.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  33. John_M

Premium Trader

I'm sure he could, but I'm assuming he'd just as soon not start up what has become an ongoing argument/harangue. Oneraindog (as well as Troeg's - I've always assumed that oneraindog works at Troegs) has consistently argued over the years (usually over in the Mid Atlantic forum)that there has been no batch variation, and that there are other reasons/factors that explain why different batches taste different to different consumers (at different times). I assume that's why he used the term "legend" of good and bad batches. If memory serves, I think Troeg's did acknowledge that the first batch they made at the new brewery was a bit "off" (not bad, just not what they were aiming for when they brewed it), as they were attempting to dial in the recipe in a new, larger brewery. Otherwise, if memory serves, I believe Troeg's has always stated that they use the same recipe every year, and that there is no variation from batch to batch.

While I'm happy to acknowledge his point (that there likely are other factors/reasons that could explain why consumers may detect some quality variation from year to year), I continue to disagree with him. At least to my palate, there have definitely been what I've felt were subpar batches of NN that I don't think can be explained away by temperature and light contact, storage problems, palate fatigue, etc. That being said, he of course is entitled to his opinion.

34. zid

zid Savant (931) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Oh, the joys of craft beer marketing. Where "excessive" is used as a positive.

LuskusDelph and Jaycase like this.
  35. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (370) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I always look forward to this. Hate to say how far back I go with it, but suffice it to say that it was when Nugget Nectar was as looked-forward to a release as KBS and BCBS.
    I do agree wholeheartedly that it doesn't age well - some years back I found a 6-month old 6er I had forgotten I bought. Yeah, but malty mess, but still with the bitterness. I did drink 4 of them, I think, I used the other 2 in cooking.

NodEast likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Premium

John, I am in 100% agreement with you here.

Cheers!

37. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,136) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

If you went back and were able to drink every beer you ever tried every year I bet you would also notice some taste different than when you first tried them.

Nugget Nectar is an easy target in that it is anticipated and we can more easily recall the past years.

I also had batch variation in certain years but not enough to drag it out this long. I feel like you guys are molesting a dead horse per say.

NodEast, NextBestThing and drtth like this.
  38. JackHorzempa

Premium

It would appear that you are more tolerant of batch to batch variation.

39. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I beg to differ with you slightly here. Beating a dead horse is not illegal but molesting one probably is.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  40. John_M

Premium Trader

I'm relieved to hear that, as I've beaten many over the years.

Pretty sure I've never molested one.

Squire and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.