Tröegs Nugget Nectar 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Dec 27, 2018.

1. hillind

hillind Aspirant (236) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I’ve had a couple 5/3 bottles today which were also very good

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,682) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Damn, it’ll be old before it gets here.

3. oneraindog

oneraindog Initiate (28) Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

NC orders leaves the brewery starting today (Monday). Beer for these trucks was packaged On Thursday and Friday.

nc41, drtth and jesskidden like this.
  4. nc41

Trader

Look forward to this beer, I’m not usually much on amber beers, but I enjoy a six or two.

oneraindog likes this.
  5. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,042) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

Looking for NYC sightings of this, especially cans--actual sightings, not Beermenus, etc.

6. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,210) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

Literally had this exact discussion today in the beer store where I bought my NN six pack.

CrimeDog and drtth like this.
  7. msscott1973

msscott1973 Disciple (397) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Nugget Nectar and Hopslam are two reasons why I don't bother with "Dry January". :stuck_out_tongue:

8. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (204) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Grabbed a can in the northern VA yesterday. I've never had this beer but heard about it for years, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

9. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (883) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I remember when I first got into craft beer in 2004. I was elated to simply FIND some craft beers, never mind even thinking to check if they were fresh.

"Wow, this store has Stone IPA! Score!"

I imagine riding a dead horse is frowned upon as well. Although I don't think it would get you anywhere either.

10. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,323) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

And I remember the days when Nugget Nectar was sold out at most locations within a matter of days, people even stood in line for it.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,813) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Keith, you should see the HUGE stack of Nugget Nectar that has been sitting on the floor of my local Wegman's for the past few weeks. I am having thoughts of Pumpking here!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!

hillind, AlcahueteJ and Kadonny like this.
  12. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,323) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I doubt it Jack, the NN season is just starting, so I think it will sell no problem. Remember, Troegs keeps making it for weeks, so there is still more supply to come.

13. JackHorzempa

Premium

And just a couple of months ago I would have told you that a Tired Hands Milkshake would never last a week so...

Cheers!

14. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (231) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm with @JackHorzempa here, huge stacks that do not seem to be moving much at all...I predict lots of old NN this year. :wink:

hillind and JackHorzempa like this.
  15. hillind

hillind Aspirant (236) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Same in my neck of the woods, one large drop that hasn’t dwindled much yet.

ESHBG and JackHorzempa like this.
  16. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (682) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I see stacks too. I walk by as I’m not paying $14-16 for this beer.

Not drinking this month I bet a fresh NN for the super bowl would taste amazing. Might grab a single if I can find one.

Enjoy

Amendm and hillind like this.
  17. nc41

Trader

I asked, and it’s not on the radar here as far as I can tell.

18. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (231) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

$11.49 around here so much more reasonable.

Amendm, mnrider, LarryV and 1 other person like this.
  19. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (204) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Maybe people got tired of pouring a beer that looked like a mix of an actual milkshake and mud :wink:

And being that I just moved to a market that gets Troegs, I tried my first Nugget Nectar a week ago and absolutely loved it. Will probably grab a sixer the next time I head to the grocery or Total Wine. It may not be a sexy style anymore, but that big west-coast hop bite mixed with a solid malt backbone still does it for this O.G.

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,388) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

I used to routinely buy it by the case (2008-2011, at prices ranging between $35 & $42). At one store, where a buddy of mine worked, I had him put 2 cases aside for me and bought them both a few days later.

The following year (after my friend left), I waltzed into the store for some routine beer shopping, saw a half dozen or so NN cases stacked on the floor as if just delivered, grabbed one and proceeded to the register. When the barcode wouldn't ring up or for some other now-forgotten reason, they called the manager who came over, ripped open my case and told me I could only buy a sixpack. "See ya later..."

Amendm, NodEast and Kadonny like this.
  21. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (298) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Just picked up a 12er for my Super Bowl party. Will be drinking good. Hate on NN all you want, but that shit is tasty!

22. Amendm

Amendm Devotee (429) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Welcome to Southern N.E. NN! Drank a couple after the big game, finished off the last of the 6-er this evening. Hoppy and malty, one of the best widely distributed beers for me in a while. Looks like its available in Conn. and Mass. only. Maybe the rest of N.E someday.

#102 Amendm, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  23. BeastOfTheNortheast

This beer is just as good at a month old as it was when I had it fresh off the line last year. The malt backbone is unique in a good way and although the IBUs are at 93ish, it's not really bitter. For those of you who are hesitant to pick this up, I think you should give it a try. It's a great change up from the typical West Coast and NE IPAs.

24. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (136) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Regarding the IBU level vs. bitterness perception, that is a really good point. If I could somehow take away the ten(?) year history I have drinking this beer once a year, and in most cases, far more than once a year, and could drink it not knowing what it was....

...Can't imagine I'd peg it at anywhere near 93ish.

Still, I prefer me the Nitro'd.

ESHBG and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  25. BeastOfTheNortheast

Agreed. Nitro Nugget is even better.

ESHBG likes this.
  26. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (883) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Jeez, if I saw this statement 8 - 10 years ago on this forum, I would have thought we'd entered some bizarro world in 2019.

I wonder if in 8 - 10 years we'll see the same statement about New England IPAs...

hillind and sefus12 like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Premium

As do I. I really do wonder whether a beer that features a soft mouthfeel and "tastes like juice" has long term staying power. I personally have gotten to the point where these Hazy/Juicy IPAs for the most part all taste the same.

Cheers!

drh88, Kadonny, ESHBG and 8 others like this.
  28. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (609) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I think I’ve reached that point - & why I’m really enjoying NN this year. A great counter to the juice bombs. Also could contribute to why I thought SN Celebration was even better than usual this year.

drtth, AlcahueteJ and hillind like this.
  29. nc41

Trader

I’ve only asked 6 times about this beer, and I’m just lazily looking at beers fairly uninspired by it all, then I see some NN tucked away on the shelf. So with TW being TW I didn’t buy it, I didn’t have my glasses and couldn’t clearly read the date. There was a time it was stacked on the floor on pallets, but it appears that time has come and gone, I’m supposing it doesn’t sell all that well.

30. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,676) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Premium

NN is spot on this year. Have had 2 Sixers and drafts from different places across NEPA and it has been excellent.
    No doubt in my mind that it was sub-par last year. But it is back to old form in 2019.

31. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Premium Trader

I would love to get a six-pack.

32. JackHorzempa

Premium

Be careful here. Providing non complimentary information might get you too labeled as a hater in this thread.:flushed:

Cheers!

33. BeastOfTheNortheast

Have you had this year's?

34. nc41

Trader

Be happy to send you a few, I’ll check the canning dates to see if it cool. We’re not a first run NN stop.

35. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (208) Dec 31, 2015 New York

I bought a six in cans a few weeks ago and it tasted great....bought a sixer in bottles a week ago and it tasted overly malty.....

JackHorzempa likes this.
  36. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (49) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Hey nc41 is available close to the Knoxville area? was thinking about trying to get some of this in my next trade but if it is available i might just go buy a sixer. thanks cheers

37. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (49) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

nevermind nc41, just did a search on their website and the closest to me is Asheville NC. thanks anyway!

nc41 likes this.
  38. nc41

Trader

Go grab a 6 and have s few Buriels.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  39. BeastOfTheNortheast

What were the dates on each?

40. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,169) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

The cans dropped after the bottles and are fresher.