Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Troegs Anthology Winter Sampler

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

DonObiWan likes this.
  2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I wish they'd mix things up a bit more. Perpetual and Troegenator are already year round beers.

Plus, two IPAs seems silly as well.

RobHB, ESHBG, ichorNet and 3 others like this.
  3. ichorNet

ichorNet Crusader (744) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah, not going to bother with this one. I like the included beers well-enough, but overall the pack is nothing special and I doubt the inclusion of a few bottles of a cherry-chocolate stout (which is usually a very hit-or-miss idea in the first place) will change my mind.

ESHBG likes this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Yeah, not sure how IPAs are winter beers...

ESHBG likes this.
  5. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

While Troegs makes solid beers they rarely make it into my mouth.

Enjoy

6. ingchr1

ingchr1 Aspirant (283) Jun 4, 2008 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Agree with some of the sentiment, I'd like to see something other than the Perpetual. I'm fine with the others being in there. Gives me the same feeling as I have for Sam Adams mixed packs. I'm not looking for the Boston Lager, but I understand why they include it.

7. ESHBG

Their packs are more "party packs" to me and I will grab one for something like that, as the continuously included lineup beers are ones that I know that I like so at least I know I will have something enjoyable. But yes agreed that it may be better to include a little more variety vs three shelf beers I can get anytime.

8. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (329) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

It has 'Blizzard' in the name, bro.

Really though,I think the idea was that they were using fresh'ish hops from the fall harvest that may not be available or the same later in the year, but with Hop Knife which is a similar idea may have muddled this concept

Just fyi, and I won't make any claim this is much different from a traditional IPA, but Perpetual is actually labeled an Imperial Pale Ale, not India. When fresh, Perpetual is a great brew but often isn't, and in general I'm dubious of the dating on variety packs like this (though I kind of remember Troegs using an exterior date on these last year).

--
    edit: that's an awful lot of commentary from me on a 12pk I'm not terribly likely to buy either. Cheers ya'll.

bbtkd and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  9. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (126) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Agreed. Perpetual in the first month after being bottle or canned is great. After that, it isn't even worth drinking IMO. I have had it the day is has been canned and I have a can that is almost 4 months old (still within best by date). Not even close to the same beer.

VABA and Prince_Casual like this.
  10. ESHBG

If memory serves me correctly the Imperial Pale Ale moniker came about because Troegs said they wouldn't brew an IPA and it was a tongue in cheek thing to say well we didn't brew an India Pale Ale, we brewed an Imperial Pale Ale.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  11. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (130) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

That Chocolate Cherry Stout looks appealing (and maybe not too dissimilar to Victory's Blackboard #7 Black Forest Cake with Cherries stout), but two, TWO! (ponderous!) IPAs in the variety pack? I don't hate IPAs as much as I once did, but it is far from my go to style. If it was their Dead Reckoning Porter in this variety pack instead of say, Perpetual, I'd be all over this bad boy.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.