Release Troegs Nugget Nectar

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (215) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Drops on Monday in Central PA, Philly, Pittsburgh, Lehigh Valley and Ohio, looks like both in cans and bottles.

I remember a time when there was so much hype for this beer and now barely a blip...my have the times changed. Still enjoyable to me, though, and I am sure to drink it every year.

Full release schedule:

January 8th – South Central PA, Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Ohio
    January 15th – North Central PA, Western PA, State College, Scranton, New Jersey
    January 22nd – Maryland, Washington D.C., Delaware, Virginia, New York City
    January 29th – North Carolina, Connecticut, New York State, Massachusetts

https://troegs.com/nugget/

2. tubeman

tubeman Zealot (538) Jan 25, 2009 New York
    Premium

10 years ago 4-5 cases.
    5 years ago 2-3 cases.
    Last year 1 sixpack.
    This year I doubt I'll buy any.

Matt7781, JoeBloe and gardenstatepkwy like this.
  3. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (250) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

I too look forward to this beer each year and less hype means I get my fill, no complaints there. That said, I sincerely hope it doesn't get to the point where this beer is largely forgotten, or even scarier, unknown.

4. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (256) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

This and Nimble Giant are Tröegs 2 best beers!

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,618) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Because it isn't cloudy?:thinking_face:

Last week I was at a local beer bar and on tap were cloudy beers from Tired Hands, Levante, Root Down,...

Cheers!

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (641) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Was a beer I loved but had none last year and only a case the year before. I don't see buying any this year.

Enjoy

7. JackHorzempa

Premium

Is this a price issue or are you just disinterested in this beer now?

Cheers!

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia
    Premium

I really enjoyed Nimble Giant last year, soo good.

thebeers and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  9. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (202) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Mark me down for two 6-packs...cans please.

10. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (774) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Traded for this beer a few years ago and wasn't sure what the hoopla was all about. Now after I've been suffocated by fog and milkshakes, I'd gladly welcome some of this.

11. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (641) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Howdy Jack,

Maybe a bit of both. Right now I cant spend the $ on NN. I have loved this beer for a long time but as the years have gone on I have had less interest. Looking back to 2013 I gave NN a 4 star and the one I had last year(did not remember having one, it was a a friends house) was a 3.25. While there are batch variations I dont think they are so big to make the beer that different. Given the funds I would probably pass as pulling the trigger on a $13-14 six pack of NN does not seem worth the price anymore. I would jump on a single 16oz can if it was fresh to see where my taste sits today.

Enjoy

TongoRad and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. Fattypillar

Fattypillar Initiate (42) Mar 8, 2015 New Jersey

I'm happy to buy this. I think its important to remember and support the breweries that put craft on the map. Stone, DFH, Summit and Troegs were the breweries that got me going so many years ago. FOMO has people running to the latest release without remembering their roots. Kinda like music, you wouldn't have Nirvana, STP, AIC and FNM without Zepplin, Hendrix and Sabbath.

GreenBayBA, mconn13, jhartley and 6 others like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Premium

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Last year I bought a 12-pack of bottles (I loved those!) and a 6-pack of cans which I thought was of lesser quality but by no means a drain pour.

Cheers!

Tmwright7 and TongoRad like this.
  14. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (112) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

I'll be having a pour of Nugget Nectar tonight here in south central PA. I find myself wanting NN more and more each year. Mark me down as one of those more excited about NN than hopslam.

15. JackHorzempa

Premium

Mark me down as well.

Cheers!

Leebo, SammyJaxxxx, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  16. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (123) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Funny, we went up to the brewery last night to grab a bite to eat and they didn't have it on. Where is out out already?

Not that I care all that much, I'll have a few pours of it at the source and be done with it, but was just curious.

muchos likes this.
  17. Tmwright7

A few bars in Chambersburg are tapping a keg this evening. I'm guessing it's one of their First Squeeze events. @onthebusin03

18. readyski

readyski Aspirant (222) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I'm wondering if now that the hype has worn off it will finally distribute to California. Nah probably not but it has been on my radar for years :slight_smile:

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (137) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

I'm looking forward to this kicking off my season of big hoppy beers with NN, Hopslam, and then Hop Juju.

20. Tmwright7

Hop JuJu! I forgot about that. I wish Fatheads was distributed in this area

21. BeastOfTheNortheast

According to everything I've read and heard, the first tapping will be the 8th. Seems odd a bar in Chambersburg would tap it before Tröegs does.

22. Tmwright7

I thought it to be odd as well. But according to Good-ta-Go and Relax Lounge facebook pages, they are tapping kegs this evening at 4:00 and 6:00 respectively. Triple checked to make sure i wasn't going crazy

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  23. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Initiate (186) Dec 31, 2015 New York

I like Nugget, it's a nice change of pace from the cloudy, hazy world....

24. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (321) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

:grin::grin::grin: Nice references lol! These kids today with their Nirvana and Alice in Chains just don't know about the good old days!

CrimeDog, jmdrpi and TongoRad like this.
  25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,436) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I really do wish they could figure out the batch variation issue. At this point, though, it just seems to go with the territory.

SomethingClever and jesskidden like this.
  26. TongoRad

Premium Trader

I could've let that slide, but now you're tempting me to derail the thread :wink::grin:.

Casterbridge and zid like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Premium

Me too! If I had a dollar for every time I read a BA post a comment about "your palate has changed"...
    FWIW, that is basically where I 'am' too. A number of years ago I would buy cases of Nugget Nectar because that was essentially how we had to buy beer in PA from our local beer stores of Retail Beer Distributors. I would basically buy a case at my local Retail Beer Distributor and just hope for the best. Now that we can buy lesser quantities from our local Retail Beer Distributors I buy in lesser quantities (e.g., 6-packs, 12-packs) and thereby distribute the risks of an 'off' batch.

When Nugget Nectar is 'on' it is a joy to drink.:slight_smile:

When it is 'off' well....:slight_frown:

Cheers to 'on' batches of Nugget Nectar!!!!!

28. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Ditto to all of that!

29. ingchr1

ingchr1 Initiate (143) Jun 4, 2008 New York

These days! Those bands came out like 25 years ago. Man I'm getting old.....

On topic, for what ever reason I've never been a fan of NN. Tried it over the years and keep feeling the same about it. Maybe I was getting off batches? Hopslam on the other hand, mark me down!

30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,569) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

What I had last year was pretty good, I'd buy it again, but this one needs to be fresh. If it's dated a bit I personally wouldn't buy it, IMO,it turns malty and sloppy pretty quickly for whatever reason.

tzieser, TongoRad and hillind like this.
  31. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Some batches start out that way, and that's the issue (well, maybe not 'malty and sloppy' but certainly rounded and lacking vibrancy). I've literally had them with dates within a week of each other and it seemed like they were months apart.

AlcahueteJ, nc41 and SunDevilBeer like this.
  32. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

My experience with NN varied last year too. Some packs were amazing, some were meh & some were just fine - in various formats, cans, bottles & draft.

I prefer to hold on to my good memories of NN, I’ve loved that beer for many years.

AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Premium

On more than one occasion I have purchased cases of Nugget Nectar that were only a few days old. I would get that case home, quickly chill down that first bottle and while drinking that first bottle I would think: Oh no, I got a 'bad' batch. The first time I did this I just placed the case in my basement and I waited a full week before drank the second bottle (my theory was the beer was still 'green'). That second bottle was wonderful!! From those experiences I have concluded that Nugget Nectar needs 7+ days in the package before it is ready to be enjoyed.

Needless to say by YMMV.

Cheers!

P.S. The aspect that hoppy beers may not be fully ready for consumption when packaged is being discussed in this other thread:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-england-ipa-release-only-when-ready.553873/

@nc41

Casterbridge, jcos and AlcahueteJ like this.
  34. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (50) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

I get a 6pk every year when it comes out and always look forward to it.

Nugget Nectar is one of the first "special release" beers I ever tried. Got a sentimental spot in my fridge for it.

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,569) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm sure there's something to this, doesn't Alchemist hold their beer for a few weeks before distro? I've never ever had a bad Heady Topper, even when over two months old. I've had a good many beers from NE and I still think HT and Trillium make the best beers, IMO they're very well balanced. I can't do stunningly bitter anymore.

So if beers can be too green upon canning what does the brewery do about their kegs they supply to their retailers? I ask this because I had more than a few Tired Hands beers on my last trip home on tap and I found them to be stunningly harsh and bitter. Hop Hands was actually hard to drink a full glass?
    @JackHorzempa

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Premium

Dale, I have no knowledge how Tired Hands manages their kegs. I can report that I personally do not drink their canned beers unless it has been 'aged' a minimum of 2 weeks.

Cheers!

37. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (123) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Thanks. Hope you dig it.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  38. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (80) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

This beer is easy drinking AF. I think over the last few years it's lost its shine to me and others as the hop craze has taken over, but this year, I'm ready again. Pencil me in for a couple 6ers.

39. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,096) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Nugget Nectar will always be welcome in my house. Aside from the year when Troeg's moved to their current, larger facility, and was clearly having problems dialing in the recipe at the new facility, I feel as if the recipe has been pretty consistent over the years.

After all the IPA's and DIPA's I've had over the years (hazy and clear), I keep on thinking that NN will seem passé to me, one of these days. Yet it never happens. It's just a good, solid, easy to drink hoppy red ale/IPA that I never seem to get tired of drinking. OK, a case of it each year might be a bit much, but I'll happily take a 6 pack or two of NN every year it comes out.

The first time I had this excellent beer on tap at the legendary (long since closed, may it RIP) Sean Bolan's pub in Baltimore seems like only yesterday (for all that it's been roughly 10 years now). To this day, still one of the more memorable moments in my craft beer drinking life.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  40. BeastOfTheNortheast

Was able to get a sample of NN. Enjoyed it much.