Troegs Triple Mango IPA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Cdunk11, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,167) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Did you guys try the Apricot IPA, Scratch 94 I think? Similar brews with the heavy fruit, only that one's not a triple.

2. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

Available tomorrow at 11 AM: draft, growlers, sixers, cases. Good timing.

3. Infinite1

Infinite1 Aspirant (273) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Geez Mango and hops... Sounds awesome !! Trades ?

4. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (506) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I might have to stop by the brewery tomorrow.

From Troegs:

You've been waiting patiently and the day has arrived. Scratch #98 - Triple Mango IPA, the overwhelmingly requested winner of our "Scratch Redux" contest goes on tap in our Tasting Room Friday, June 28th at 11am. Unfiltered and highly-carbonated, Scratch #98 is bold, brazen, and over-the-top, unleashing a spicy mango nose and an intense overripe grapefruit flavor. Availability: draft, growler fills, six-packs and cases. 11.3% ABV and 125 IBU.

5. Infinite1

Beer Trader

If you do, I am open for a trade for a 6er

6. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (258) Nov 9, 2010 New York

Where was that aaron? Might it still be available?

7. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2008 New York

Was at lovin cup during Real Beer Week. Their website says its still on tap but I'd give them a call to make sure.

Edit: Its a nice blend of mango and hop, just wish I knew it was so strong.... first time I had to call out of work for a hangover in 4.5 years.

MLaVioletteJr likes this.
  8. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (258) Nov 9, 2010 New York

Thanks, i will ck it out.

9. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

gonna keep my eyes peeled for this one around jersey and the city, cant wait to try it !

10. hinemk76

hinemk76 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Pennsylvania

Any place that has it in Western PA?

11. j1knapp

j1knapp Initiate (179) Jan 28, 2006 Maryland

August 1 at state line a troegs/ devils backbone event featuring 4 scratch beers triple mango and a troegs/DBB collab plus others all in a tasting and on growler fills

BradStokley likes this.
  12. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Aspirant (239) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It was at the Oakland Mad Mex two weeks ago, and I totally forgot to go, so no Mango for Shmuff Daddy. This sounds good.

13. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Disciple (349) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

I'm sorry, that just made me laugh.

14. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2010 Ohio

Hoping this finds it way to beer world in Pittsburgh, and soon......

15. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

They- really- were though!

16. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Initiate (68) May 24, 2007 New York

I'd give them a call. I went the day after the Troegs event (Thursday) and didn't see anyone else order it. I also didn't realize it was 11%+ before I took a sip.

17. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (506) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to go today, or any time in the near future most likely. I highly doubt they'll have any left by the next time I get a chance to go. :(

18. frankthetank86

frankthetank86 Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 New York

that avatar is hilarious man!

hinemk76 likes this.
  19. Hophead717

Hophead717 Zealot (572) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If anyone from Philly is going to the brewery and would be willing to pickitupformebro, I'd love to get my hands on a sixer. I'd include a thank you for your time. Shoot me a message!

20. BradStokley

BradStokley Disciple (347) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Wow is this a unique brew! Never had anything like it before and I can see how polarizing it is. Count me as a fan!

21. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

My friend is on his way to VA right now and said he'd stop at Troegs on the way. Fingers crossed for a case of this stuff.

22. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

I have some coming in a trade Joe. I would be more than willing to share.

jbaker67 likes this.
  23. Cdunk11

Cdunk11 Aspirant (266) Jun 16, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Triple Mango IPA cases sold out as of 5PM. Wow, that didn't last long

24. BradStokley

BradStokley Disciple (347) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Didn't seem like they had a whole lot available.

25. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Anyone know of places selling it in SEPA

26. cmmcdonn

I received a text at 5:03 from my "mule" that he just left the brewery and that I was lucky he got there an hr ahead of schedule because there were only 10 cases left. Must have been a surge of people right after him.

27. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I got there around 1:30-2:00 and it was packed. The only things being bought on draft and growler was Triple Mango...and the vast majority of cases going out was the same. It was already really thin when I got there. The stack of cases in the shop was down to the last single layer on the floor.

[​IMG]
    Place was packed as soon as I got there. Took me a while to find somewhere to park outside.

[​IMG]
    This was the first time I'd been to Troegs, and I'd never seen a growler filling station like this. That thing kept me entertained for nearly an hour and a half.

[​IMG]
    Some growlers destined for Torst on Sunday.

[​IMG]P
    Some goodies to take care of the fellas back home.

This was the first time I'd had the beer since I'd had 58 on draft at Capone's. It's quite a while back, but I remember 58 being much more fruit forward, with a pretty muted hop presence. Not that I felt it was a detraction, I just recall thinking it wasn't very hoppy for an IPA...much less a IIIIPA. This time around the hops are more pronounced, and relative to last time, the fruit is much more muted. I find it to be much more balanced. Have some in the fridge now. Curious to see what, if any, difference there is between the draft version and the bottled. I hope this is something they brew periodically going forward. Tremendous brew.

ufmj likes this.
  28. Retail1LO

The beer doesn't seem anywhere near 11%. After your second, however (and that's the limit), it becomes pretty evident it's not your garden variety IPA...mangoes or not. Goes down entirely too easily.

29. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (369) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Had it in a bar in Rochester and it was really good. could only have one though - Sweet and thick.
    The mango is added after fermentation is complete.

Retail1LO likes this.
  30. cmmcdonn

I was lucky enough to get a case of this muled to me. Holy hell. I was blown away on two accords. 1) This is the first beer I have excess of that I do not want to trade for something else. 2) This is the first beer that I would not rate a 5 for appearance. I never thought appearance should be a category for review. This beer is ugly. Like a 60/40 mix of grapefruit juice and vomit.

ufmj and Retail1LO like this.
  31. Retail1LO

I think the beer looks beautiful. The beer's loaded with mango. It looks about what one should expect.

32. DrBier

DrBier Meyvn (1,457) Jun 12, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Bottles were released yesterday at the brewery at 11am, 2 case limit, sold out at 5. Growlers were $15. Also saw Matt Cole from FatHeads at Troeg's yesterday brewing on the Scratch system, hmm.

33. jffbrght

jffbrght Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

300 cases was the total put out for sale. Bartender today said it was a madhouse from open till close yesterday.

34. dan027

dan027 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2011 Pennsylvania

Am I the only one that thought this was relatively cheap? I was thinking it would be $70-$80/case, IMO $52.99 was a steal

xnicknj and cmmcdonn like this.
  35. GreenMonster12

GreenMonster12 Initiate (0) May 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Is this definite? It would be amazing!

36. j1knapp

j1knapp Initiate (179) Jan 28, 2006 Maryland

Yes it is definite, I set the event up, will start around 6 or 7

37. GreenMonster12

GreenMonster12 Initiate (0) May 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Awesome...thanks for the heads up. See you on Aug 1st

38. Infinite1

Beer Trader

Anyone have any for trades ?

39. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

I had a planned trip to Hershey to go to the park. Night before I see that this was being released. Since I knew I would be leaving the park around dinner-time I figured I would stop in. Made it in too late since they sold out at 5. Amazing-ly close. Had a taste of it though and didn't get the mango other than in the smell. Good strong IPA though.

Infinite1 likes this.
  40. cjoc83

cjoc83 Aspirant (278) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

On tap at the Pour House in Exton, PA right now. Can't wait to get some!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe