American Ales Tropic Hands

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by psnydez86, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Inspired by the hazy hop saturated ales crafted at Tired Hands Brewery. Took an approximate HopHands grain bill, added a hop combo I knew and loved and of course.... Wlp 644. That guy is still my workhorse when it comes to extremely tropical fruit juice forward hoppy beers. Couple other things make this recipe absolutely amazing and without investing the money, and time will unfortunately lead to an inferior end result.
    1.) Gotta keg this beer. Although bottle conditioning with 644 will still lead to a delicious beer, kegging really preserves aromatics that often get lost with bottle conditioning at the homebrew scale.
    2.) co2 forced racking to keg. This beer, seemingly experiences no oxygen once fermentation has begun.
    3.) after the boil....hop the balls off it.

TROPIC HANDS.
    American NE hop saturated tropical ale of sorts.
    5 gallons in the keg.
    OG 1.062
    FG 1.013.
    Abv 6.4%
    5.2 SRM
    Mashed in with 22 quarts of distilled water, (152f mash in)6g CaCl, 1 g gypsum, .8g pickling lime
    No mash out.
    3.6 g of CaCl added to the sparge water.
    Fly sparged with cold distilled water.(12 quarts) CaCl in one jug. BIAB style here guys.
    6.5 gallons collected pre boil.
    60 minute boil. Immersion chiller added with 15 minutes left.
    Shut flame off.
    Don't chill yet.
    Add 3 oz Citra,1oz mosaic, 1oz galaxy, 1oz chinook, 1oz centennial.
    Let those hops sit hot for 13 minutes.
    Then chill it to 178. Let that sit at 178 and continue to cool naturally for 17 minutes.
    Turn on water and chill to 65-70F
    Pitch a big 2 stage starter of wlp 644.
    Ferment 10-14 days.
    Dry hop with 1oz centennial, 3 oz Citra,1oz mosaic, 1oz chinook, and 1 oz galaxy for 4-5 days.
    Keg hop with more hops if your heart/checking account desires.
    Carb it up and enjoy.

Cheers.

Pat. [​IMG]

2. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Sounds tasty.

What would be an approximate hop hands grain bill?

3. psnydez86

Knew I forgot something!!!!

82% us pale ale malt. (Your choice)
    18% flaked oats.

SuperWhip likes this.
  4. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

All the bittering comes from the flameout hops?

5. psnydez86

Yes. By not chilling at all for 13 minutes you are still extracting bitterness because then wort is still very hot, and since the wort is no longer vigorously boiling I am noticing that I'm getting much more hop flavor and aroma from this technique.

6. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas

Your dry hop schedule, is that after primary is done, or 4-5 days before the end of fermentation?

7. psnydez86

With trois I usually like letting it ferment for around 2 weeks. So I'll usually dry hop the beer around day 9, then I can crash the hops and keg the beer on day 14 or 15.

Theortiz01 likes this.
  8. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas

I'm making this recipe this morning...when calculating IBU's for Beersmith, should I leave the Whirlpool hops set at 13 minutes or add the 17 minutes (that you have sitting at 178) for a total of 30 minutes? Just curious because the IBU amount would be very different.

9. psnydez86

I'm not familiar with beer smith and what the whirlpool ibu parameters are. I also really don't worry to much about ibu calculation in general. I do a very rough guesstimate of IBU's with the software I use. So if I let the hops sit in the kettle hot for 10 minutes at FO, I will put my hop additions into my software for 7 or 8 minutes of boiling. This is a total guess but hops sitting between 200-208f extracts near the same bitterness it would if actively boiling.

I'll usually make sure this guesstimate ibu is at least 50ibus(depending on recipe OG) and don't worry too much after that. I do all hop additions like this when I wanna brew a very hop saturated ale. I haven't had any beers turn out too aggressively bitter and that's how I prefer them. A nice rounded bitterness is what I like. And the water profile helps with that as well.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM any questions.

Good luck!!

Theortiz01 likes this.
  10. Makubex

Makubex Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2012 Illinois

What temp do you ferment your WLP644 at?

11. psnydez86

Start around 68 and slowly ramp to 72. I've never pushed it warmer but it could possibly throw more tropical notes warmer?

12. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

I chill to 160then load up on hops and let sit for 30 min. Ive played with this on Beersmith and I've landed at STEEP 10 min for a 30 min steep to adjust for the lower temp. It's not exactly science but have done 10 or so batches and the ibus seem right to taste. I recommend trying this.

calzaretta and psnydez86 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.