German Ales Tropical Hefeweizen

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by Lukass, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukass

Lukass Savant (998) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Tropical Hefeweizen (All Grain)

Traditional Bavarian-style Hefeweizen, but with a citrusy twist. The banana flavors from the Weihenstephan yeast meld together with citrus, mango, and orange flavors from the late additions of citra and amarillo creating a tropical banana bomb.

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons

O.G.: 1.056
    F.G.: 1.007

ABV: ~6.4%

IBU: 15

SRM: 3-4

Water:
    I used tap water, with 1/2 campden tablet added to total water volume. Added gypsum and calcium chloride to bring calcium levels up to 100 ppm. I didn't pay too much attention to anything else in my water profile, but adjust yours accordingly, based on the style.

Grain/other:
    7.5lb German Wheat Malt
    3.5lb German Pilsner Malt

Yeast:
    Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan – fresh pack. No starter needed.

Mash
    Protein Rest: 122° F for 20 minutes (3 gal heated to 131° F)
    Beta Sacch’ Rest: 149° F for 30 minutes (1.5 gal @ boiling)
    Alpha Sacch’ Rest: 158° F for 30 minutes (1 gal @ boiling)
    Sparge at 168-170° F for 10 min. (4 gal heated to 176° F)

* Collect enough wort to yield 5.5 gallons after an 80 min boil.

Boil: (80 min)
    .5 oz Hallertauer - pellet (60 min)
    1 tsp yeast nutrient (15 min)
    .5 oz Hallertauer - pellet (10 min)
    1 oz Citra - pellet (5 min)

Cool wort to 80 ºF. Pitch 3068. Aerate well (I splash the wort back and forth between two fermenters a few times to introduce as much O2 as possible). Ferment on the warm side, trying to hold between 70-74 ºF during vigorous fermentation. When fermentation begins to slow (2-3 days), dry hop with 1 oz Amarillo pellet hops.

Ferment in primary for 2 weeks. F.G. should be low enough to bottle at this time.

I bottled with 5.25 oz table sugar, and had good carbonation for the style.

Notes:

* Try to leave a good amount of headspace for the ferment. I used a 6.5 gal carboy with blow-off tube for the high amount of top-cropping krausen from the 3068.

* Mash temps were based off the ambient temp of ~70 ºF in my laundry room. Grain temp was around 70 ºF as well, so adjust strike water temps according to your given surroundings.

If you give this one a try, let me know how you like it. This is a great one for the summer, IMO.

#1 Lukass, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Naugled likes this.
  2. Purti1cc

Purti1cc Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Michigan

Could you explain the mash portion of this recipie? Thanks!!

3. Lukass

It's a traditional multi step mash, and is good practice for weizen beers, and most German style beers for that matter. You can also just do a single infusion mash at 149-150 F for 80 min and get pretty much the same results though. i just know this method has worked for me in the past on this recipe.

4. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,423) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

This sounds good, I think I might have to try this in the spring, maybe add some mosaic in with the citra. Thanks for the tips on the mash.

5. Lukass

Cool! Let me know if you end up trying it. Mosaic would be an awesome addition, and am debating adding that to the hop mix if I rebrew next spring.

6. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

Always wanted to make a traditional hefe with an American hops twist. Very much liking this recipe as a jump-off point for my experiments therein. Might add some galaxy to the mix when I try my hand at it to really ramp up the international flavor.

Lukass likes this.
  7. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (513) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Loveland Ale Works did a Heffeweizen that was dry-hopped with Citra and IMO it ended up very nice. So Citra would probably be a viable option for dry-hopping this brew. Sounds really tasty!

Lukass likes this.
  8. Lukass

Galaxy and/or Citra would be great for late additions/dry hopping. Really, any hop that has fruity, tropical or citrus in the flavor/aroma description would work well.

If I brew this again in the summer I'll probably increase the late additions/dry hop with a few ounces of Mosaic or Galaxy. The recipe was good, but needs a bit more fruity 'dankness'

Also, some credit has to go to @Naugled for this recipe. He's the one that talked me into adding some late additions of American hops, rather than the traditional noble German hops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.