Trub-Clogged Keg Lines

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Nov 3, 2018.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I tried to tap my cream ale last weekend and my beverage line clogged. I put another line on it and also clogged. I pulled the dip tub and valve and they looked clean. Both lines looked like it had yeast gunk in them. Yep, gunk; let's keep it sciency! Not wanting to think about it, I drank saison for a week. (How many homebrewing problems get solved this way?) Today, after some fruitless tinkering, I did what I probably should have done in the first place: cranked the pressure up and it pushed the yeast gunk out of the way. There is always some yeast trub that makes it to the keg and the first few draws are yeast, but I can't say I have had this experience, where yeast trub clogs my tap lines. Is this more common than I think? I normally keep about 8-10 psi but was up over 30 to push the trub out of the two clogged lines.

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (435) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Drinking in hopes your woes will go away - - - very common.

Yeast trub clogging up beverage lines - - - not common at all.

3. pweis909

Premium

Didn't think so, yet seems to be the answer consistent with my troubleshooting. I suppose it could be more than yeast trub, but the stuff that came out looks like, feels like, and taste like yeast. Now that I have reduced the pressure, it's clogging again. Hopefully blasting through with high PSI is the answer, because the saison is going to kick soon.

4. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (712) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

What was on that tap before the cream ale?

5. pweis909

Premium

Either American pale ale or dark mild. Nothing with pedio or similar. (At least intentionally). I don’t put bug beers in kegs. In any event the root cause of the problem seems to be the sludge in the keg, not something in the line, as I have plugged up two lines with this keg. One for a second time.

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

How clear did the beer look when you kegged? It sounds like you may have had an atypically large amount of yeast still in suspension that flocced/settled after kegging.

chavinparty likes this.
  7. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (366) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Corny kegs are the almost perfect answer for homebrewers. Almost because the QD and dip tube can get clogged quite easily.

My struggles are usually from hops. Consider fining with gelatin. You won't have any yeast problems. Or any clarity problems at all for that matter.

Cheers

edit
    Drinking Saison for a week could solve many problems. If we were all drinking Saison for a week just think of the possibilities!
    Two weeks of Biere de Garde? World peace.

corbmoster and thebriansmaude like this.
  8. pweis909

Premium

Not clear, but not bad. I could have picked up trub from the bottom of the fermenter but I nothing that I noticed beyond norm

9. pweis909

Premium

Added gelatin to the cream ale keg and the alt in the fermenter.

Ive sometimes had problems with keg hops but this beer didn’t have them. I’ve been kegging for five years and have yet to develop the same consistency I was able to hit after 7 years of bottling. I never had problems getting a beer out of a bottle.

frozyn likes this.
  10. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (119) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I get great satisfaction clearing my beer lines with pressure. Reminds me of Augustus from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

pweis909 likes this.
  11. pweis909

Premium

Higher pressure does seem to help. Good Wonka reference.

Thought related to all this: I have Perlick flow controller taps. Any thoughts on whether these could be more prone to clogging issues?

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Thinking about how they are constructed, it's hard for me to imagine that they could be causing yeast gunk in your lines. (Though that may not be what you're thinking.)

I've been using the perlick flow control faucets for 3-4 years now. When I run BLC (or water, or starsan solution) through them, I slowly adjust the flow up and down, to try to make sure everything inside is getting contacted. I imagine that if I didn't do this, there could eventually be something hiding/growing inside, but enough to get into the lines? I dunno. Seems unlikely. At any rate, I haven't had one clog/fail.

pweis909 likes this.
  13. pweis909

Premium

Thanks @VikeMan for that input. I will spend more time with line cleaning to see if it helps