TVs in Taproom

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MerryTapster, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (338) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

"Blow up your Tv", John Denver, John Prine, et al, Spanish Pipedream (AKA Blow Up Your TV).

I do not like Tv's in my bar, I have very little interest in mainstream American sports and have movies at home.

2. horsehockey

horsehockey Aspirant (204) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

I prefer no TV in a nice taproom. I think I'm in the minority though. I think most people are going to want to watch whatever sportsball game is on.

yemenmocha likes this.
  3. emount91

emount91 Devotee (426) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

no televisions, just some tunes bumping in the background will be a better atmosphere.

yemenmocha and WellRested518 like this.
  4. WellRested518

WellRested518 Aspirant (234) Mar 7, 2014 New York

Going without tv causes you to contemplate the drink at hand and have an actual conversation. I feel like a Taproom is about the beer. There are many sports bars with great taplists.

horsehockey, yemenmocha and emount91 like this.
  5. Rammed96

Rammed96 Disciple (326) Apr 30, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

I would have TV's in the room. But only turn them on when a local sports team is playing. Any other time the customers can interact with each other.

6. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (422) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I sort of got it made here in Wyoming but darn it all it is tough to get REALLY great beer here...lol

7. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (338) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

Why try to steer people in a particular direction.
    if they drink your beer and like your bar but have their faces firmly planted in their cell phones, who cares. you wont stop it.
    don't offer free wifi.
    If there were no TVs I would most likely pass and go somewhere else.

8. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (238) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

If they are playing sports I am all for this. I love being at a bar during sporting events. The only problem is not many great beer bars have televisions in my area. So taprooms with TV's are nice.

9. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,241) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

@BMitch I never said that. But come on man.... Alcohol + sports can very easily equal more rowdiness than just alcohol... But I'm not saying that's definitely going to happen, just that theres's more of a chance for it to happen. Besides that...all I know is the best taprooms/brewpubs I've visited (best in terms of both beer and vibe) don't have TV's.

10. RLM15

RLM15 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2013 California

depends on what kind of taproom you want. today there is a bar for every kind of taste. my favorite place to drink beer in the world, Monk's Cafe, has no TV's and this promotes great conversation and focus on the beer and food; but I wouldn't go there on the night of the super bowl. if you choose tv's you have to commit to it and have multiple tv's because people will go to your taproom dependent on watching a particular game. if you choose to stay away from tv's you have to tailor your location so that it will remain attractive as a destination for beer and food alone.

mig100 likes this.
  11. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Aspirant (297) May 20, 2013 Colorado

No televisions. God forbid people learn how to interact with each other. Glad a few brewery owners feel the same way here in Denver - Brian Dunn from Great Divide basically says there will be no TVs in their tap room as long as he's breathing - he fully supports meeting new people...talking to your neighbor. It makes a tap room a much more fun place to hang out if you ask me. Cell phones are another story...they're akin to looking in your refrigerator when you're bored.

yemenmocha and mig100 like this.
  12. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (969) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

A few TVs are okay. Too many, and you become a sportsbar.

Beer and sports tend to go well together. If I had time to watch a game somewhere that was a solid taproom, I'd rather go there than to a sports themed spot.

13. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (519) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

But but I need my cell phone to log my beers in Untappd! :sunglasses:

MtnSoup likes this.
  14. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

One TV, in one corner away from the bar, not a huge one either, we will say 32inch LCD, and when not in use for tv watching purposes have it listing your taps? Just my ideal world for a craft beer bar.

15. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Yeah, because there's no distinction between the two. Sportscenter with the sound off and a kid screaming in your ear. Exact same thing.

16. ssam

ssam Aspirant (292) Dec 2, 2008 California

And some people don't like chocolate either.

lester619 likes this.
  17. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (568) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Yes, it's soooooo hard to talk to others when someone has a darn TV on! We all literally turn into the Walking Dead at the flip of the switch. The amount of nonsense regarding people's ability to ignore or not be fully consumed by moving pictures on a screen in this thread is boggling my mind.

Also, do a lot you folks actually go to bars/breweries/whatever with the intent of talking to strangers about beer and things like that? I've gone alone to bars/breweries a few times to catch a special tapping or release when I couldn't find anyone else to go or while traveling for work, but 95% I'm out with people I already know and whether or not a place has TVs has minimal, if any, impact on our ability to communicate with each other.

Edit: I'm also totally fine with places not having them, I just do not get the sentiment of how they make communication impossible. It's just not true. If I don't chat with some rando stranger, maybe it's because I'm just not in the mood for it that day, not because I'm unable to unglue my eyes from a TV screen or phone. Sometimes I am in the mood for it. People are complicated like that.

#177 chcfan, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    BaseballNBeer, lester619 and MtnSoup like this.
  18. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Lol he didn't say what kind of view he has. Lol

19. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Aspirant (297) May 20, 2013 Colorado

I get it. You love television. I'm cool with that. I guess I'm old school and like bars without televisions.

yemenmocha likes this.
  20. chcfan

Trader

I made an edit...fine with no TV. Several of my main go-to spots locally either do not have a TV or only have them on to play the local sports teams games and I have what is apparently a superhuman ability to ignore them since I don't care about the local teams. It's just that the presence of a TV has never been a social hindrance to me in any way.

MtnSoup likes this.
  21. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (205) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

A very nice restaurant I used to go to has a bar with a couple of TV's, the sound is off and closed captions are on. It's very much the best of both worlds.

22. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,720) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I have walked into a bar with Sportscenter on and the TV sound off. Every single person was staring at the TV with mouths agape, and the deadest blank look in their eye, beer in one hand without ever reaching to take a sip. I sat down and ordered a beer, not one person said one word to anyone, or even moved, they literally looked like zombies. I don't think I finished my beer before I stood up and left, trying not to laugh out loud.

MtnSoup and yemenmocha like this.
  23. chcfan

Trader

I believe this anecdote. I actually have experienced something similar a few times when I would used to end my workday early and occasionally hit up a place solo that had something on tap I really wanted. Thing was, I was fine with it as my goal was to drink beer, not necessarily chat with strangers. I guess we had different things in mind when going to bars those times? I've never been averse to chatting with strangers if that's what someone nearby wants unless they're really annoying and I usually will talk with bartenders if it's slow, especially if I've talked to them before, but it's just NBD either way to me.

Forgetting all that: how many times have you been to a bar or brewery with a TV or two playing whatever and most people there were talking with each other? Surely, this is much more often the case. Plenty of places where I live have TVs (Russian River, Lagunitas, Toronado, Cellarmaker...) but are not sports bars or somehow TV-focused that are always filled with people socializing.

24. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,720) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

For me as I have stated, I just don't like TV. That is not to say everyone has to agree, which is fine, and I have seen the above scenario I stated above many times, I have also seen places so out of control because of the game. Also your scenario, and anything from one guy being the asshole at the bar yelling and screaming at the TV being obnoxious to everyone else, to bars showing Sportscenter or one of the stupid round the table argument shows with the sound on and dominating. Though I don't really care about any of that, if you don't mind any of the above, that is fine. I certainly go to bars with TVs, and there are certainly some great bars that happen to have them. When it comes down to it though, I really find TV, especially at a bar tacky. I don't understand the constant need to have this thing glowing and shinning all the time, or why it has to be the center of everything, or even as the background of everything? The vast majority of bars have TV's, so this is really not an issue except for the people that want to seek out places that don't have them.

chcfan likes this.
  25. do_ob

do_ob Crusader (745) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

My local taproom has a couple tv's that mostly have sports playing. The volume is always turned way down, but it's nice to watch if you happen to be Georging it (drinking alone). Just my $.02.

26. chcfan

Trader

lol I've not heard that one before. We call it being the WAG - Weird Alone Guy. A quiet bar is the best place to be a WAG or George for sure and sometimes a TV is nice for sparking conversation but I agree it's not really conducive to convos when it's SportsCenter (not an actual game) or CNN or something like that. I've been to places where they have soap operas (my stories!) on and that was definitely weird.

do_ob likes this.
  27. MerryTapster

MerryTapster Zealot (594) Mar 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

So I decided 2 tv's behind the bar. Sports only on Sunday and Monday. I got 2 40" 4K smart tv's this way I can log into my netflix or vudu and put movies on as well. The rest of the seating area is TV free.

28. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

I like TVs because I have no friends to talk to at beer places.

At Original Gravity in SJ they typically have Port's Shark Attack on tap during a Shark's Hockey game, and every time the sharks score they take a $1 off the price. Seems pretty effective.

#188 raynmoon, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    charlzm likes this.
  29. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,459) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

Any taproom with a TV becomes an instant sport bar. I avoid sports bars. And don't we have enough of them already?

30. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Also, this thread reminds me of a conversation I heard a guy have with his dad at The Source in Denver.

He kept going on about how the new generations are so fixed to their phones and gadgets, and how he grew up having real conversation and being a "real" human being. He sounded really pompous, by the way,

He then took out his phone and started showing his dad all the cool things on it for the rest of the time there.

31. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Disciple (300) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Why not put one up and just choose when to put it on? I'd think football Sunday's and other major sporting events, interesting day in news, etc, it'd come in handy. I'm not a huge fan of television in taprooms but there's been times I wish there was one. Best of luck!

32. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (256) Mar 28, 2011 New York

what is the difference between a "taproom" and a bar? breweries have taprooms that serve their beer - but if you are serving all different beers - that's a bar to me. or is it a more "crafty" way to say bar?

Horbar likes this.
  33. chcfan

Trader

I think they're being used interchangeably here. OP isn't making beer in-house so it isn't a brewery/brewpub/tasting room. That leaves bar/taproom/pub/tavern/watering hole/drinkery/gin joint/izakaya/public house...

34. Spindletop

Spindletop Initiate (74) Jun 4, 2003 Massachusetts

That's probably a good compromise. I don't care about sports, but I can also choose not to watch them. Just don't turn them on a cable news channel.

35. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,359) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Strictly my opinion, but if I were to hit the lottery and open my own taproom with "profits be damned, I'll do what the f&*# I want!" as my mission statement, I'd have 24/7 hockey muted on TV while playing metal.

now that I've gotten that out of my system, to answer the OP's original question - I'd have TV's if for no other reason than you are going to have folks roll in, wanting to watch the Pitt game or Steelers or whatever. No TV, no stay. I've yet to hear someone walk into a bar and say "Muted TV's? Nope, we're leaving". And if indeed there is no other craft option for like 30 miles, than you would be better served being everything to everyone at least from the start. If the area is that devoid of drinking establishments than you would want to take advantage of a little BMC coinage as well.

Unless they are not bolted to the wall securely enough, a television won't hurt anyone.

BaseballNBeer likes this.
  36. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,353) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

We stopped at Port City Brewery this weekend and they had TVs in the tap room. There was a lot of conversation going on, mostly with people who were not interested in the Washington football team. The brewery area did not have TVs and it was more laid back. We also went to DC Brau and they had on TV with a soccer game (Spain Euro qualifier) but nobody was paying attention to it. Doesn't bother me either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.