Twin Elephant Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by dennis3951, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,225) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I didn’t think the Lil shimmy was tasting green, it was smooth. I was really picking up the Mosaic in this version.

njcraftfan likes this.
  2. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (123) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

having this now, and I think I can see what you're talking about. I missed the last few batches so its been a while, but I've had enough time to know this tastes different in some way. Less Juicy grapefruit and mango flavors and more earthy and herbal grassy notes like you said. In fact a bit stinky on the nose. tastes good an all, just different. Maybe needs to settle a bit, but not sure.

hopsputin likes this.
  3. hopsputin

Society

#StayTrue

Just a quick update this week folks. The team has been busy prepping for the arrivals of two new 15bbl tanks by rearranging some current fermenter locations so if you see Frank or Tim give them a hug or buy them a beer. If you don't know who those people are, then as they say "ya betta ask somebody". For new drops this weekend we have a fun iteration in our Nosh series of American IPAs that are recipes design around a single hop or hop pairing. After "Here There Be Monsters" kicks, most likely sometime tonight, we will tap "Nosh: Sabro". Coming in at 7.5% ABV this beer features a super interesting new hop called Sabro that presents like a tiki drink at the beach with heavy coconut & pineapple notes. You almost have to taste it to believe it and trust that we did not add any other secondary ingredients :slight_smile:. Also, plenty of "Lil' Shimmy Ye'" available since we have a fresh batch to back up with this weekend. Come hang before you swap beer for Jameson on Sunday and of course Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

On Tap
    Chuck's Garage - American Session Ale - 4.7% ABV
    Chingas - Black IPA - 7.9% ABV
    Here There Be Monsters - American IPA - 6.8% ABV
    Mr. Pinkerton - American Wheat - 6.4% ABV
    Jersey Squirrel - American Pale Ale - 6% ABV
    Set the Vector: 6 Grain - Saison - 6.4% ABV
    Lil' Shimmy Ye' - American Pale Ale - 5.8% ABV
    Split the Megahertz - American IPA - 6.7% ABV

Tapping This Weekend
    Nosh: Sabro (tapping after Here There Be Monsters Kicks - American IPA - 7.5% ABV

The growler fills for this weekend will be:
    Chingas - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Mr. Pinkerton - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Here There Be Monsters - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Set the Vector: 6 Grain - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Jersey Squirrel - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lil' Shimmy Ye' - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Split the Megahertz - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Nosh: Sabro (after Here There Be Monsters Kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Total Volume limits are 64oz max per person per type of beer.

In the Secondary (coming up)
    Name TBD - Milk Porter w/ Peanut Butter
    True Believers - American IPA
    Shimmy Ye' - American IPA
    This Guy Gets It - American Pale Ale
    Bee Leash - Biere De Miel
    [​IMG]

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Why no GREEN beer???

hopsputin likes this.
  5. hopsputin

Society

I'll bring the food coloring

dennis3951 and Mrstiffington like this.
  6. njcraftfan

Nosh: Sabro getting some decent feedback. Hope to try on Sunday

dennis3951 likes this.
  7. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (96) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia

I`ve got enough time to stop by one brewery in the area on Saturday prior to attending a family function in Morris Plains. Twin Elephant, Magnify, or something else along the way? My wife and I are both more into hop forward stuff, fruited sours, and stouts.

We will be traveling on 78 through Harrisburg, PA then picking up 287 it looks like.

8. njcraftfan

quick google maps show Twin Elephant and Magnify are both ~25 mins from Morris Plains, so comes down to more of what you are looking for.

Twin Elephant has a better taproom, more geared to hanging out and having a few pints or a flight, etc, but you can only get growler fills if you wanted anything to go. Magnify's taproom is smaller, maybe less comfortable to hang out in, but they will likely have some cans for purchase if you were interested. Personally, I like TEB better, both beer and vibe wise, but Magnfiy is solid.

I'm not sure what else is on the way- I think Conclave if they are open. small and limited hours but beers are very good... tiny tap room with overflow into the production space

Mrstiffington likes this.
  9. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (722) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

If you are heading east on 78 from PA you may want to consider checking out Weyerbacher, right off of 78 in Easton PA.

dennis3951 likes this.
  10. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (120) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I second everything njcraftfan said. Conclave is my fav out of the three but probably less convenient to get to. Twin Elephant is the best bet. But obviously Yale Terrace if you want to go a little farther.

11. dennis3951

If you decide to go to Twin Elephant don't exit 78 at 287. Get off at the exit for New Providence or where ever your GPS tells you to. You won't be more than 5min. away. When you leave GPS should put you on 24 West and back on 287 in 10 Min or right to where you are going in Morris Plains.

jmerizio and hopsputin like this.
  12. schteve

schteve Aspirant (235) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

Twin Elephant is more convenient to you coming in from PA on 78. Do what @dennis3951 said.
    Both options are off of your route, but TEB is easier to get back on track from.

13. dennis3951

This weeks line up

#StayTrue

Best couple days of sports drama right here, if that is your thing of course. Plenty of growler fills options for fresh suds if you are going to plant yourself in front of the TV this weekend and of course for pint fills if you want to come chill. We got a new variant on our Milk Porter series "LA DI DA DI" this 7.3% ABV batch showcases peanut butter & Dead Man's Brew coffee from Homestead Roasters. Smooth and creamy with flavors of swiss miss, milk chocolate, nut of the peanut, and smoky coffee. On Friday we will be dropping a new batch of American IPA "Shimmy Ye'". We have tweaked the hop bill on this beer several times but we think this time around we have found the landing spot with Idaho 7 & Simcoe. This beer fills the dank, earthy & grassy bucket for us and rounds out nice with a touch of sweetness on the finish. Finally, on Saturday we got a fresh batch of American IPA "True Believers" at 7.2% ABV with notes of mango rolled through pine needles, cracked can of tropical fruit salad, and candied orange peel garnish.

On Tap
    LA DI DA DI: Peanut Butter & Coffee - Milk Porter - 7.3% ABV
    Chingas - Black IPA - 7.9% ABV
    Nosh: Sabro - American IPA - 7.5% ABV
    Mr. Pinkerton - American Wheat - 6.4% ABV
    Jersey Squirrel - American Pale Ale - 6% ABV
    Set the Vector: 6 Grain - Saison - 6.4% ABV
    Split the Megahertz - American IPA - 6.7% ABV

Tapping This Weekend
    Shimmy Ye' - American IPA - 7.5% ABV (Friday)
    True Believers - American IPA - 7.2% ABV (Saturday)

Chingas - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Mr. Pinkerton - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Nosh: Sabro - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Set the Vector: 6 Grain - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Jersey Squirrel - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Split the Megahertz - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    LA DI DA DI: Peanut Butter & Coffee - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Shimmy Ye' (after Split the Megahertz Kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    True Believers (Satureday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Froth - American IPA
    Worker Drone - Cream Ale
    Engage Physically - American IPA
    This Guy Gets It - American Pale Ale
    Bee Leash - Biere De Miel

hopsputin and njcraftfan like this.
  14. hopsputin

Society

Not the biggest fan of peanut butter in beer so might pass on this La Di.

Worker Drone must be doing pretty well, I feel like I’ve seen it a few times over the past months

dennis3951 likes this.
  15. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,105) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Looks like they are teaming up with Lost Tavern for a neat collab: believe Five Boroughs was the last/only other time TE joined forces with someone

16. njcraftfan

Looks like they are doing a collab with a PA brewery called Lost Tavern Brewing
    Saw that too, not familiar with that brewery though... this will technically be the third I believe. the first they did was a lager up in Massachusetts with Castle Island Brewing.

17. M-Fox24

Trader

Saw the Castle Island gathering, but wasn't sure if it was ever released...presumably at CIB?

18. dennis3951

In NJ a brewery can only sell beer brewed at that brewery so any collab they do at an other brewery can't be sold in Chatham.

19. M-Fox24

Trader

Yep, wasn’t expecting a NJ release...just curious if it was ever released, or if it was still lagering to perfection via CIB

20. hopsputin

Society

Shimmy Ye is drinkin real nice now. Just beyond it’s ‘gree stage with a touch of of burn. It’s DDH with Idaho, which I don’t have too much experience with, but am digging

njcraftfan likes this.
  21. njcraftfan

I'll need to pop over to try that and the porter. Sounds like they've dialed in Shimmy though.

22. dennis3951

At TE now, they are Brewing the collaboration in Chatham today.

njcraftfan likes this.
  23. dennis3951

Are you still at TE?

24. dennis3951

Yes that have drinking great. Drinking it as I type.

hopsputin likes this.
  25. njcraftfan

stopped in this afternoon and did a flight. Really dug the tweaked Shimmy Ye'. Might be the dankest beer I've ever had. Perhaps uber freshness played into the aroma, but the nose was straight MJ... chewy mouthfeel, hoppy, really nice. Nosh: Sabro was interesting, definitely got a super tropical coconut flavor on it from that hop. True Believer was dangerously crushable for 7.2%, and I grabbed a growler of this one. It was also quite different from earlier iterations, but also in a good way.

La di Da di was also good, better than expected (i.e. wasn't sure i'd like it, as I'm not a pastry stout guy, and peanut butter had me apprehensive, but I thought it was well done. Bitter coffee, peanut butter, roasty malt and touch of lactose all in pretty good balance. Wouldn't do pint personally, but that's more my preferences...

26. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (238) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Went in yesterday. The tap room was not nearly as busy as last time, was great to get a seat right away. Backdoor was open with a great breeze and not a ton of kids running around.
    Lil Shimmy Ye may have been my favorite, was really well done.
    Nosh I enjoyed, and as above i got a ton of coconut and tropical as well, could see that being a great summer beer. I was pleasently suprised that Mr. Pinkerton was as good as it was, while I did like La Di da Di; the peanut butter was very forward which I liked but it was too sweet for me, taster max.

Overall again Twin elephant did not disappoint.

dennis3951 likes this.
  27. hopsputin

Society

Ok party people no excuse this weekend....Sunday is National Beer Day and to quote FDR, "I think this would be a good time for a beer." Got four freshies coming down the pipe this weekend starting Thursday with a new 6.3% ABV Spring Pale Ale called "This Guy Gets It". We squanched this red wheat heavy Pale Ale to the gills with Amarillo and Sorachi Ace hops, finished with lemon peel and dubbed it a Spring Pale Ale. The taste…is unique ?. The dill on the nose is courtesy of Sorachi Ace, and further adds to the complexity that ensues in the unraveling of threads of lemon character; bright, tart and acidic. Notes of moderately loud herbal fresh dill and accords across the lemon spectrum; juice, zest, peel, and curd. Also, most likely on Thursday after "Lil' Shimmy Ye'" kicks we will have the long awaited return of our APA "Lil' Monsters". This beer comes in at a quaffable 4.9% and is accompanied generously with Azacca, Rakau, Galaxy & Enigma. On Friday, after "True Believers" finishes up, we have a new beer called "Bee Leash" coming to tap. This beer is a 5.9% ABV Saison de Miel conditioned with local wildflower honey. Finally, also on Friday but after "Shimmy Ye'" kicks, we have a new American IPA birthing called "Pick Apart The Pixels". This batch comes in at 7.2% ABV and was double dry-hopped with Citra, Chinook, CTZ & Southern Cross. Look for full descriptions of those last two beers on our website and Untappd tomorrow after we get good sensory on them post carbonation.

Quick progress update on our upcoming outdoor beer garden. We will do construction to add an entrance way to the outside starting next week. There will be a brief, most likely one weekend, time where we will have temporary plywood covering up the hole. We appreciate your patience during this time and will keep you posted on progress & timing.

On Tap
    LA DI DA DI: Peanut Butter & Coffee - Milk Porter - 7.3% ABV
    This Guy Gets It - Spring Pale Ale - 6.3% ABV
    Worker Drone - Cream Ale - 5.4% ABV
    Shimmy Ye' - American IPA - 7.5% ABV
    Engage Physically - American IPA - 6.7% ABV
    Froth - American IPA - 7.2% ABV
    True Believers - American IPA - 7.2% ABV

Tapping This Weekend
    Lil' Monsters - American Pale Ale - 4.7% ABV (Thursday most likely after Lil' Shimmy Ye' kicks)
    Bee Leash - Saison de Miel - 5.9% ABV (Friday after True Believers kicks)
    Pick Apart The Pixels - American IPA - 7.2% ABV (Friday after Shimmy Ye' kicks)

True Believers - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    This Guy Gets It - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Worker Drone - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Shimmy Ye' - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Engage Physically - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Froth - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    LA DI DA DI: Peanut Butter & Coffee - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Bee Leash (Friday after True Believers Kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Pick Apart The Pixels (Friday after Shimmy Ye' kicks) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Augenwiede - Lager
    Old Raritan - Milk Porter
    Gathering Clouds - American IPA
    Crooked Spoke Adjacent - American IPA

28. njcraftfan

Nice lineup for the weekend. I recall enjoying little monsters for the low ABV last time.

Psyched to see Old Raritan coming up in the future. Loved that one last time. Good to see a lager making its way as well!

dennis3951 and hopsputin like this.
  29. dennis3951

Tried This Guy Gets It Done yesterday, another winner.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  30. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,214) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

TE is really hitting this week. I had both Engage Physically and the La Di Da Di variant yesterday and they were outstanding! Engage is super flavorful and the mouth feel is amazing. This version of La Di Da Di drinks like a stout; really chewy and with a higher ABV than the original. Every week I'm more impressed!

SMason, dennis3951 and Mrstiffington like this.
  31. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (120) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I don’t go that often but when I do I’m always happy with what I try. Besides Kane, it’s really the only place I get flights from every time I visit.

MacMalt likes this.
  32. dennis3951

Having Engage. Physically right now at TE. Good stuff, a bit sweet but refreshing.

33. njcraftfan

I will be popping over to get some growler fills in a bit.... the spring pale ale and little monsters should be good for some outdoor refreshment this weekend...

34. hopsputin

Society

Had Enage Physically last weekend and agree with you. Good stuff, but it was a bit sweet. Bee Leash was pretty good as well, but had a touch of honey-like sweetness in there as well.

35. njcraftfan

Also tried the engage physically. Good, but I agree just a bit too sweet.

I really liked the This Guy Gets It, but its definitely unique with the strong herbal notes and bitter lemon peel. I could see this being a bit love it or hate it type beer.

Have a growler of Lil Monsters I haven't gotten around to yet...

hopsputin likes this.
  36. hopsputin

Society

Happy Friday folks hope everyone is feeling the spring energy and had a great week. To help full those good vibes we two batches of fresh hops coming at ya on Saturday this weekend. We have the return of fan fav American IPA "Gathering Clouds". Little spelt helps lift the 7.3% ABV sweet malt tones into a heady mix teeming with notes of lemon peel, pine needles, caramelized pineapple, clean spice bitterness. Beautiful cluster of sweet, grass, resin and fruit. We also have a new 7.2% ABV American IPA dropping called "Nurturing Dependence" that was double dry-hopped with Ekuanot, Simcoe, Sabro, Cascade & Citra and look out for a full description to come in the tap room & online.

Also, couple of events of note happening this weekend. On Saturday at 11am Lost Tavern Brewing in Hellertown PA is releasing part 1 of our collaboration project which is entitled "The Sting". We set out to create two local honey inspired IPAs with 2 of the three hops in the bill being Citra & Huell Melon but the third being dealer's choice. For part 2, we are still waiting on label approval from the TTB but are scheduled to can up beginning of next week so stay tuned for the release date message. SO head over there in there morning if you are feeling up to a short ride and then come check us out at the Bridgewater Beer Fest at night 7pm-10pm. Lots of NJ friends pouring good beer and we will be pouring Gathering Clouds, Nurturing Dependence & Worker Drone.

Finally, Quick progress update on our upcoming outdoor beer garden. So we have cut a big 8'x10' hole in our taproom wall and installed a double swing door glass storefront entrance with a transom and sidelight. As we continue to work on cleaning up the outside and laying down pavers this will entrance will be blocked by a benched seating area. After we get through the landscape cleanup, pavers and fencing, we will give you another update. As always we appreciate your patience during the construction.

On Tap
    LA DI DA DI: Peanut Butter & Coffee
    - Milk Porter - 7.3% ABV
    This Guy Gets It - Spring Pale Ale - 6.3% ABV
    Worker Drone - Cream Ale - 5.4% ABV
    Engage Physically - American IPA - 6.7% ABV
    Froth - American IPA - 7.2% ABV
    Lil' Monsters - American Pale Ale - 4.7% ABV
    Bee Leash - Saison de Miel - 5.9% ABV
    Pick Apart The Pixels - American IPA - 7.2% ABV

Tapping This Weekend
    Nurturing Dependence
    - American IPA - 7.2% ABV (Saturday)
    Gathering Clouds - American IPA - 7.3% ABV (Saturday)

This Guy Gets It - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Worker Drone - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Engage Physically - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Bee Leash - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Pick Apart The Pixels - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Lil' Monsters - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Nurturing Depenence (Saturday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available
    Gathering Clouds (Saturday) - 32 or 64 ounce growler vessel fills available

Augenwiede
    - Lager
    Old Raritan - Milk Porter
    Crooked Spoke Adjacent - American IPA
    Nosh: Zappa - American IPA

Happy to see they’re continuing with the DENNIS system here. Also curious to see what kind of Lager they’re putting out.

Also didn’t realize thy were putting an outside area in, that’s awesome!

#156 hopsputin, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    dennis3951 likes this.
  37. njcraftfan

yeah they got approval on the outdoor space from the town a long time ago, but apparently also required a license modification or something as well... should be nice when it opens up. kind of a long but narrow space so curious to see how they set it up. Hope its all set up before the anniversary.

Also - Cans coming... so that's nice..

IPAPolice and hopsputin like this.
  38. njcraftfan

so cans this weekend, or no? I wouldn't think they would be open on Easter Sunday to do a release...plus seems they were pretty busy installing the new tanks yesterday, so may not have been able to can it yet....guess we will find out soon enough.

39. dennis3951

What is the DENNIS system?

hopsputin likes this.
  40. schteve

schteve Aspirant (235) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

:Google for the whole acronym breakdown, but it's an Always Sunny reference in the name of the beer "Nurturing Dependence"

dennis3951 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.