Canada Two new Parallel 49 offerings out this week

Discussion in 'Canada' started by smekermann, Aug 23, 2013.

1. smekermann

smekermann Oct 18, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

Not sure if any Vancouver residents noticed, but Parallel 49 released a couple of new beers this week. First off is the Crane Kick Sorachi Ace Pilsner, weighing in at 5.8% ABV and brewed exclusively with Sorachi Ace hops.

Second beer is Snap, Crackle, Hop, an imperial rice IPA brewed exclusively with NZ Motueka hops, weighing in at a pretty respectable 9.3% ABV and with 70 IBUs.

I managed to try both of them tonight, the pilsner in bottle format and the imperial IPA in a growler. They're both really good. The pilsner is probably one of the better examples of the style that I've had in quite some time, and the imperial IPA pretty much blew me away.

I did some reading on Sorachi Ace, since I wasn't overly familiar with the hop, and apparently it has a lemon/lime citrusy aroma, with a buttery aftertaste people either love or hate. I thought the pilsner definitely had both: it was very citrusy up front, with a mild buttery aroma on the aftertaste. I thought the buttery aftertaste was pretty nice - it wasn't overwhelming and it was offset by how dry and crisp the rest of the beer was. I found it to be a really sessionable beer.

The Imperial IPA is the real gem, though. Obviously this is way too early in its release cycle to say this, but I'm pretty sure this is the best P49 beer, ever (at least up until now, anyway). It takes everything that made Hopnotist great and just kinda turns it up to 11: the rice in the beer makes the body really light (especially for a 9.3% ABV beer), the Motueka hop profile is simply amazing, and overall it's just this insanely dry, crisp beer that is dangerously drinkable given its ABV. Whereas I felt Hopnotist was kinda Parallel 49's answer to Lagunitas Sucks, this beer surpasses Sucks by a wide margin. It's one of the best West Coast Imperial IPAs I've had in a pretty long while. In fact, I'm struggling to think of anything currently available on the West Coast that is quite as nice, taste-wise, as this. It's an absolute gem of a beer.

BTW, this message was not actually brought to you by a Parallel 49 shill, despite how it looks.

edit: the Snap Crackle Hop was the only beer out of the two that I felt strongly enough to add/review. I'll let someone else add the Crane Kick. I'd give it a 4.25 in the pilsner category, though (and I know everyone here on BA rates beer based upon their respective categories, am I right?)

bumchilly25 and Kurmaraja like this.
  2. Boozecamel

Boozecamel Feb 25, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

I guess a trip to Parallel 49 will be happening this weekend. They are so prolific, with not many misses!

3. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Jun 14, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Appreciate the heads up. Was a 'Lil' bit soured on their seasonals recently, glad to hear they are back to their usual standard again.

Hornet2003 likes this.
  4. Boozecamel

I reviewed the Snap Crackle Pop. I understand the gushing! It is a truly great beer, and must be added to their standard lineup immediately.

5. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Not the only one. Lil Red is the first time I have not really enjoyed a P49 brew, and it was far below that... I actually poured the last third down the drain, which is unheard of for me.

6. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

You got further through your bottle than I did!

Back to the topic though - I picked up a Snap Crackle & Hop last week. Definitely good but I think not quite my favourite style - a bit like a cross between Genmaicha tea and Hopnotist - but I'm well aware I'm in a minority here. All my friends are going mad for it, and I'm glad I got to try a bottle before they inevitably all vanish.

7. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had the good fortune to be driving through Vancouver on my way to Whistler from Seattle and tried both at Alibi Room. Their beers and those of Driftwood are excellent; it surprises me how little hype / knowledge there is of them in the states. Among the other beers I tried were a couple by 33 Acres that were unknown to me and very, very good. Nice to know an untapped reservoir of new to me beers exists just across the border.

604growler and FondueVoodoo like this.
  8. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Glad to hear that, I too feel like Driftwood (and others, to a lesser extent) would get a LOT more attention if they were out of, say, California. I'm okay with it though because it means I have no problem finding it. 33 Acres is a short walk from my front door which is most excellent!

bumchilly25 and Kurmaraja like this.
  9. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And the 33 Acres tasting room is stylish; nice to see people doing something different than an industrial space or standard bar vibe.

10. Surfscience

Surfscience Jul 30, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

I live in MTL but am visiting family in Van. I ran by 49th parallel, powell street and bridge. As far as setup goes I LOVE bridge's setup. They have a tiny warehouse space that they basically cut a bar into. The frequenters are like 8 feet from bar. Powell and Bridge both had exceptionally nice staff.

11. bumchilly25

bumchilly25 Aug 3, 2009 British Columbia (Canada)

[​IMG]
    Just picked up these 2 beauties right from the Brewery yesterday. Currently enjoying some of my growler filled with the Snap, Crackle, Hop. I too did not enjoy the Lil Red (half bottle drainpour) but everything else from P49 is super solid.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  12. smekermann

Hm, so what did you guys dislike about the Lil' Red (besides the label)? I only had a growler of it but I found it to be a pretty damn drinkable beer. I only had one other Berliner Weissbier (Tartare) and I found that insanely sour (but still drank generous amounts of it). By comparison, I found Lil' Red to be pretty mellow and sessionable.

Also, I don't know if I agree with some of the reviews for Snap, Crackle, Hop. Are you guys actually detecting rice flavors or are you just thinking you do because this is a rice IPA, so obviously it must have some rice flavor? First off, from what I've read, all rice does is lighten up the body of the beer, it doesn't actually add any flavor (or sweetness) to it. Second of all, toasted rice? Really? Any semblance of rice crispies flavor is so far removed from the actual beer, it's kind of a ridiculous comment to make, and entirely based upon the beer's name. I wonder if people drinking Old Viscosity think it has an old, used motor oil flavor, as well.

I had a refreshing glass of cold pineapple Simply Orange juice and my initial thought was "oh man, this reminds me of Snap, Crackle Hop", which is probably pretty sad, but I think what I'm trying to get at here is that, the sweetness in the beer is completely reminiscent of tropical fruit, and not of grain. I will say that I haven't had any experience with Motueka hops before, but it seems that the entire flavor of the beer is based on its hop profile, and not in any way a by-product of the rice or the malts used.

I'll also mention that this beer managed to... well, not ruin, but slightly decrease my enjoyment of Fat Tug, maybe. After having this beer, Fat Tug seems really bottom-heavy and almost kinda sweet (I should mention that I had the Fat Tug the next day, not after the SCH - although they both have more or less the same amount of IBUs, so I probably could've even had them side by side). It's still an enjoyable beer, and I still really like the hop profile in it but I'm finding it a lot more malty than I had previously thought it was, simply due to how crisp and light this beer is. That said, Fat Tug is still one of the better single IPAs I've had in the Pacific Northwest, let alone BC, so this is more of a whine than anything else.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  13. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

You should ask the bros for review editing privileges so you can correct everyone's wrong reviews!

14. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

For me, it tasted (and smelt) rather like they'd brewed it using water from a hot tub - there was this intense chlorine like quality to it which drowned the rest of the flavours. I've since been educated a bit more on this and have been told that the lactobacillus delbrueckii used in the production of this to sour it also imparts phenols. The more of this bacteria that is used (or the longer it works for, I'm not sure which) the more sour the beer becomes, but also the more phenols that are produced too. They aimed to make this a properly sour berliner weisse, and as such created more off flavors than are usual for the style.

But I've also got a few friends who really like it too. Seems to be a very divisive beer!

This feels like a bit of a personal call-out, or am I misreading that? However ridiculous, it's my opinion. Funnily enough that opinion has changed a bit and I'm enjoying it more, having had this beer a couple more times now - but I'll try and "defend" my original impression, too. I did go into it expecting to detect a bit of rice flavour, and thought I tasted something at the tail end of the hop explosion that reminded me of the roasted (not toasted!) rice flavour that you get in genmaicha tea. Having had it again, I think you're right and I was a bit influenced by thinking I was going to detect rice - I believe it's just how those hops finish.

But, better than Fat Tug? Really? What a ridiculous comment!!! ;)

On a more serious note, you'll be happy to hear that P49 are apparently brewing a second batch of this using Mosiac hops. Looking forward to trying that one!

smekermann likes this.
  15. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

You shouldn't waste your time doing that...

FondueVoodoo, Rutager and Lurkaholic like this.
  16. smekermann

Snap, smarmy reply from Rutager, didn't see that one coming. Did I hurt your feelings or something? Can we not have a discussion about beer without sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling "LALALALA IT'S MY OPINION" and going all defensive and smarmy? All I was saying is that it seems there were some reviews where people expected to find the rice and completely blew it out of proportion, whereas if the beer wasn't marketed as a rice IPA, nobody would've noticed.

Hmm, yeah, I see your point. It definitely smelled weird, but wasn't bad enough to turn me off. Taste seemed ok from the growler, maybe if I'd have had a bottle I'd be singing a different tune, I dunno. They seem to learn from their mistakes pretty quick (like their initial BA imperial stout which was very underwhelming, followed up by the Gigantic Brewing collaboration BA imperial maple stout, which was pretty damn excellent), so I'm hoping their next sour will be a lot more refined.

It wasn't a personal callout, it just seemed that everyone who reviewed this beer went on and on about the rice when its impact on the flavor is minimal at best. Barley Mowat has a pretty good review up for both beers, and he explains the use of rice better than I did, despite not being very fond of the beer.

As for my ridiculous Fat Tug comments, yeah, they're probably a bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, Fat Tug is an amazing brew, but I guess I just have a thing for crisp, thin, over-hopped IPAs. Some would probably call it masochism.

17. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Calm down. Of course I'm going to defend and respect my (and others) right to an opinion. You really don't need to be such an obnoxious know it all, it would be much easier to have a normal conversation with you if you weren't.

Besides, I don't think anyone's review really says it tastes like rice so your rant is out of nowhere. Even if they did, why would it upset you?

18. smekermann

I think there's a bit of a disconnect here - I don't have a lot to get upset about on a beer review site, I just thought there were too many people focusing on the whole rice aspect of it when it really should've been a foot-note. Also, my rant wasn't really a rant (hell, I didn't even use any cuss words, what the hell kind of rant is that), it was more of an attempt to get people to expand on their opinions, with only Lurkaholic bothering to expand on both SCH and Lil' Red, which I thought was pretty great of him.

I'm not sure why you're so defensive and act like I'm out to personally attack you. Again, this is a goddamn beer review site, I'm not out to denigrate anyone, nor make lifetime pals. I just want to discuss some beer, and it seems like this forum is fairly light on that.

In regards to being an "obnoxious know it all", shrug. It's all text on the internet, man, you can read my posts as completely stone-faced serious, or you can assume I have a self-deprecating sense of humor and don't take myself nearly as seriously as you think I do. You probably assumed the former, I think the latter. That's just, like, your opinion, man.

(I probably do come across as a bit of a dick, though. I apologize for any hurt feelings, I guess :( )

19. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Maybe we should attempt this beer discussion with said beer in hand, and in person. Perhaps a post-CANBIF bottleshare might be fun... what do you guys think?

TheSevenDuffs and Rutager like this.
  20. Boozecamel

Really not enough reviews of Snap to draw too many conclusions. I just think its good that we are reviewing local beers and there should be more of it. I don't want anyone to feel discouraged from reviewing. My review out of the four doesn't mention rice as a taste.

One of my failings is that I don't often review beers I don't like. Lil' Red is in that category. Was really excited that P49 had put out a cherry Berliner Weisse. I'm a big fan of P49, but it was a miss. I have had alot of the style, but it just didn't hit the spot. I had it after I had already had a few other beers, and thinking back I can't recall the exact issue. My memory is blah beer, bland not enough tartness.

21. smekermann

I have the opposite problem where if I like a beer I'll just tick it. I don't really like writing gushing reviews, unless it's something that really blows me away. At the same time, I feel like I'm sometimes too generous with my beer ticks. And now that you guys have got me thinking about it, I probably was overly generous with my Lil' Red tick, because I don't really remember it that well, except for the weird smell. I remember it being pretty sessionable, but I couldn't really describe it if you asked me to, except that it had little to no sour cherry present in its aroma, despite being billed as a sour cherry berliner weisse. I should grab a bomber and see how I really feel about it (and maybe even iron out a review).

I'd be down for a get-together at the Alibi Room or something, if anybody is up for it. I don't know if I'd want to do a bottleshare because I don't really have anything to share (poor impulse control) and I don't wanna be a leech. A friend from San Francisco might visit at some point in the next month or so, in which case I'll definitely try to organize something as he has a fairly impressive list of beers he wants to bring over.

22. 604growler

604growler Jul 20, 2009 British Columbia (Canada)

I just want to chime in that I really enjoyed the roasty/toasty flavour in Snap, Crackle Hop, unique for an IPA in my experience.

23. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I figured out a way to settle this: one of you send me a bottle and I will try it for myself and give my opinion. It is really the only way to settle this.

Rutager and FondueVoodoo like this.
  24. smekermann

PM me your address. I won't guarantee it'll get there in one piece but, even if it doesn't, at least the box and glass shards might smell pretty nice.

25. souvenirs

souvenirs Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

I actually liked (but didn't love) Lil Red. The only beer I've had so far from P49 that I didn't enjoy was Ugly Sweater.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe