U.S. Postal Service Shipping Equity Act (USPS)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Prospero, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Prospero

Prospero Savant (990) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

ManBearPat, micada, mickyge and 14 others like this.
  2. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,132) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I’ve been doing just fine shipping “olive oil” through them all these years :grin:

3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,236) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Wait, you can't mail beer? :grimacing::pensive:

@FBarber

4. jonphisher

jonphisher Crusader (739) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

It’s funny I always used ups and FedEx then did usps flat rate and haven’t looked back. They actually, at least for me locally, ask the least intrusive questions. “Anything liquid, flammable or …?” Nope. Ups and FedEx around here ask what I’m shipping.

I feel less bad lying just to saying “no” usps has got my business ever since

5. Resistance88

Resistance88 Aspirant (225) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Yea fuck that

Flat rate box does fine when i ship my olive oil and homemade chili

This will come with a stupid ass tax and for sure a higher fee

No thanks

6. Resistance88

Trader

At my local USPS i ALWAYS ANSWER YES and say its whatever comes to mind just because they'll stamp FRAGILE all over the box

7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,192) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My packages read: Fragile: Carolina BBQ sauce.

8. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,266) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

No thanks. Besides ... the criminal aspect of trading is half the fun.

BSW, Rug, micada and 13 others like this.
  9. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,750) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

& the "antique scale parts" to weigh it . :wink:
    + the complimentary snow globes . Can't forget them.
    *Best Oprah voice* : EVERYbody gets a snow globe !!! Yay!

10. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,328) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

My how things have changed. Back in the day when I was a frequent trader no one even considered USPS. I spent a metric ton of cash shipping UPS, especially after I scrapped FedEx due to some overly ambitious and shady employees who were just grilling me over what was in the package and ultimately leading to my first and only “shipping exemption” (I’m fairly certain the dude knew it was beer and exempted it and kept the beer, anyone who ever traded with me knows how obsessive I was about packing so I’m certain nothing broke). anyways, it was UPS from there on out, which was by far the most expensive.

I don’t really trade anymore but I do fairly frequently have people ship me beer I can’t get locally and it seems that everyone uses USPS now. Have only had one arrival shipping exemption, and they shipped it back to the guy due to a leaky package (whereas FedEx kept mine because it was a “violation of their shipping policies”).

USPS consistently gets a bad rap (not sure why, I mean I can send something literally across the county for like 50 cents, you can’t even get a goddamn candy bar for 50 cents anymore), but these big corporate shipping companies aren’t the greatest thing since sliced bread either!

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,949) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Like UPS pays any attention to the word fragile. Boxes I get, whatever is inside them, are always worse for wear vs FedEx.

12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,267) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

And, if you have a self-serve kiosk close by, you only have to lie to the computer. And even then, it's not really lying, because it does not ask about alcohol, just hazardous materials.

In the most recent NBS BIF, we had several bottles get broken during shipping; any that were USPS still got delivered, any Fedex/UPS got thrown out, returned to shipper with an unpleasant note, or folks accounts getting flagged. Fuck those guys. Plus, a couple BIFs ago, I shipped 1 box, Fedex, from Bellingham WA to Delaware. $15 bucks, and it took well over a week. I realized I could have shipped 6 USPS flat rates, containg more beer, for equal or less money, and they get there in 2-4 days each usually.

I also never get cute with telling the counter workers what's in there. They might want to know what your sauce recipe is, or why you're shipping yeast samples. The fewer alarms you set off the better. UPS/Fedex have always been rougher on the glass and ceramic art my girlfriend makes. It also explains why the box is so heavy.

I fully support the proposed legislation.

Rug, BuffaloBill12, sulldaddy and 9 others like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,050) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Here it's the opposite. FedEx is brutal and UPS has excellent history.

14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

$125, not $15. I am an idiot with fat fingers.

bbtkd, Whyteboar, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  15. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,833) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I don't know about shipping beer, but I have a FedEx account, pack my packages robustly, print my own labels, and drop off at a shipping center (many times with no human interaction). Have yet to experience reports of olive oil or snow globe issues. Too, no problems with packages received via USPS either.

Shippers choice, I guess...

16. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,012) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I can't even trust the post office to deliver my mail correctly, why the hell would I trust them with something valuable? I paid $25 to ship a bill 2 day air once and it go there a week later "We don't guarantee 2 day shipping on our 2 day air." Then WTF do you call it 2 day air and not whenever the hell it gets there it gets there. What a scam. UPS is virtually flawless. I can use my companies negotiated rates for shipping and they are 1/5 of what the UPS store charges. UPS rates are the biggest over inflated scam in the world if not negotiated.

PapaGoose03, colby600, bbtkd and 2 others like this.
  17. jonphisher

jonphisher Crusader (739) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Well alcohol could be hazardous :wink:

And on your 125$ box story I had the same epiphany. I sent you one large flat rate and it got there in under 48 hours. I sent @snaotheus a box the same day but couldn’t fit it so I went big box and went to FedEx. That night I realized I could’ve shipped two flate rates for cheaper than what FedEx charged. Oh and the kicker was the FedEx one took 10 days to arrive, never again.

#17 jonphisher, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  18. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,525) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

FedEx is aging some beer for me right now, if my fellow BIFfers are not teasin' on me

Rug, BuffaloBill12, bbtkd and 8 others like this.
  19. Resistance88

Trader

I sent a package to New York after dude sent his and mine got there 2 days quicker with USPS, i believe he used Ups.
    Everytime I have used USPS to Illinois, Connecticut and Michigan it's there in less than 48 hours.

micada, Rug, flat_lander and 7 others like this.
  20. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,286) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm not sure that USPS knows what they can or can't accept. I tried mailing some 'Michigan maple syrup' to my brother once and was told that nothing liquid could be sent by USPS. Poorly trained employees? I took it to the UPS store, and they accepted my 'Michigan maple syrup' without further questioning, and put fragile stickers all over the box.

Rug, BuffaloBill12, dcotom and 8 others like this.
  21. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,222) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

The last time I went to FedEx to ship olive oil the guy asked me what type of olives I used and started nerding out on olive oil. I said I didn't know - it's my wife's thing, I just ship it. He then asked me if I was sure I wasn't shipping alcohol. I said no. He mailed the package. I've been going to USPS to mail birthday gifts ever since.

22. jvgoor3786

Society Trader

The drop off shipping center is something I discovered recently. It may make me change back to FedEx from USPS.

23. HouseofWortship

Trader

Next time just tell them you are a horse breeder and that you are shipping a bulk container of your prized stallion's semen to another horse farm. Then say "I apologize if the box is sticky" and that should end any conversation real quick.

Rug, BuffaloBill12, jmdrpi and 9 others like this.
  24. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I know someone who actually ships above mentioned product. It has to kept frozen, so you're letting them know about the dry ice inside your box, right?

25. jvgoor3786

Society Trader

[​IMG]

26. HouseofWortship

Trader

"There is no dry ice in this shipment sir. This particular customer is into some weird stuff."

27. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,566) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

"He likes it at room temp."

I hate myself.

Rug, Whyteboar, FBarber and 11 others like this.
  28. Resistance88

Trader

Sucks.
    You can just say youre shipping water

Whyteboar, bbtkd and snaotheus like this.
  29. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Crusader (786) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I ship Ham/Turkey brine around the holidays, homemade soup my wife makes during Covid, wet ‘mop’ BBQ during the summer months, and then I mix in a few other things at different times of the year.

I always tell USPS it is liquid. They always ask about it being sealed (after I tell them what it is), and I go through the whole shpeel about how it is in a bag, bubble wrapped, in another bag, then the whole thing is put into a trash bag (all true).

Only time USPS has grilled me was one time when I was mailing a return, and it was lubricant. I simply said oil, and this woman said, “WHAT KIND?!” And I looked at her, right in the eyes and said personal, and…she gave me a pretty nasty look. Asshole.

Rug, Whyteboar, JackHorzempa and 3 others like this.
  30. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,530) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I dropped off a package at a UPS store containing "gifts", feigning ignorance on specifics because my wife packed it, but due to some sloshing admitted it had some "cologne or something". They asked how much cologne and I said 12oz (a lot). Five minutes after leaving I got a call from the nosy clerk saying the limit is 8oz of liquid, so I need to take that out. I get there as she is starting to open it. I grabbed it and said I had to replace that gift, and left. I reduced the size of the "cologne" by double boxing it and took it to another UPS store.

Since then I've gotten paranoid about it, double boxing, etc. TBH, the hassle and worrying is why I've pretty much given up trading. I'd welcome not having to double box and lie.

Rug, Whyteboar, beerjerk666 and 3 others like this.
  31. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Well, you DID choose to tell them a liquid that is flammable! Cooooommmeeee oooooonnnnnn!

32. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (129) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

This is not about trading. It's about breweries selling directly to the public. It's doubtful that the retailers and distributors will let it pass in congress.

33. Beer_Economicus

Trader

There is a similar bill (for whiskey), but not regarding USPS. Currently distilleries cannot ship direct to consumers. The bill would change that. I don’t think this is limited to KY only, and perhaps this already failed, but I don’t think I remember reading that it has gone one way or the other yet.

micada likes this.
  34. HouseofWortship

Trader

Given the rise of non alcoholic beer, why don’t we just tell them it’s non-alcoholic beer.

Whyteboar likes this.
  35. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Seems risky.

“Oh yea. I’m shipping a gun and bullets, but the firing pin has been removed and all the parts to fill the bullets are there except the gun powder.”

Seems hard to think they wouldn’t open it or just say, “yea…No.”

Rug, BigIronH, Whyteboar and 2 others like this.
  36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Again, if you have a self-serve kiosk, you don't have to tell anybody anything. 12-12oz cans fit in a medium flat rate box, and 16- 16oz cans fit in a large.

37. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,286) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

But they said no liquids. I just don't think they knew what they were talking about.

Whyteboar, Beer_Economicus and steveh like this.
  38. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (918) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

It is odd. I just got a box that shipped from Fonta Flora (thank you again for my amazing gift box)via UPS. It shipped 29 December and arrived on 6 January. It was known that beer was in the box. I never signed for it but the tracking said I did. Why can’t beer be mailed? Why can wine ship almost anyplace but not beer? Why can many places ship me beer in PA but Sierra Nevada can’t?

I shipped a box once for a BIF (8? Years ago)and I used fed ex I think. It took a long time to arrive and sat in Kansas for a while. It arrived but quite later than all the other boxes. It was expensive and just not worth all the hassles. I did get some really good TX beers though. The only other time I shipped was USPS I think and it was only 2 bottles of Hi-Westified.

Enjoy

Whyteboar likes this.
  39. steveh

Society

USPS has drop-off too. You set up an online account, pay with credit card, print your label at home, pack in a box you get free at the PO, drop it in the bin in the PO, track online.

So I've heard. :no_mouth:

40. steveh

Society

Calls too much attention.

Whyteboar and Beer_Economicus like this.