Great Britain UK recommendations

Discussion in 'Europe' started by scream, Feb 14, 2018.

1. scream

scream Zealot (511) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I used to love Bateman's XXXB when it was available here in the states-not here anymore.

Our niece and husband will be in London for several months. I am looking for recommendations for beers they might bring back for me. I love bitters, old ales etc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

They have volunteered to go on a hunt.

Thanks !
  2. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (122) May 18, 2017 England

Here's some solid stuff to look out for from fairly well-known traditional breweries:
    Timothy Taylor - Landlord (golden bitter), Boltmaker (golden bitter), Ram Tam (dark mild)
    Adnams - Southwold Bitter (copper bitter), Broadside (strong bitter), Tally Ho (strong ale)
    Theakstons - Old Peculiar (strong ale)
    Fullers - London Pride (bitter), ESB (strong bitter), 1845 (strong bitter), Bengal Lancer (English IPA), Golden Pride (strong ale), London Porter (er, porter)
    Harveys - Sussex Best (bitter), Imperial Double Extra Stout and Prince of Denmark (old-style Imperial Stouts)
    JW Lees - Moonraker (bitter), Manchester Star (strong ale), Harvest Ale (barley wine)
    Bitterbill and scream like this.
  3. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (3,271) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

The options Dave has listed above are great. You could ask them to see if they can find any of the Fullers Past Masters series - reproductions of old recipes from their historical archives....
    Bitterbill likes this.
  4. scream

thanks ! Not sure they would be able to do that-they are basically going to act as mules for me. Our nieces husband is a Hollywood writer from Wales but has limited beer knowledge. They will be there through the summer so will have time to search.

It's a shame more is not imported here any longer but I understand the competition thing has really hurt that.

I did ask for a pallet of Fuller's 1845 which I really like.

Thanks again !
    Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Zealot (508) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Beer Trader

I would also highly recommend Black Sheep Ale and Riggwelter (Bitter and Strong Ale) and Wychwood Hobgoblin, another Bitter and still my favorite English Ale, even though haters gonna hate. Robinson's The Trooper really isn't half bad either, especially if you're an Iron Maiden fan.
    Bitterbill, scream and VABA like this.
  6. scream

Those are all decent also. I have a Black Sheep bottle opener from when we were there for our 25th anniv in '98
  7. trbergman

trbergman Defender (671) Nov 17, 2006 England

Black Sheep also has a newer IPA (~5%, decidedly English style IPA) that I quite like.
    Bitterbill and scream like this.
  8. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Zealot (508) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Beer Trader

I haven't had that, but I recently tried their Russian Imperial Stout, which I found pretty disappointing.