Under hyped beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lahey, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (243) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'm curious what beers (preferably with large distribution) people think could battle for best in their class, but don't get the widespread recognition. My example is going to be big bad baptist by epic brewing. It's a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, that in my opinion battles the big boys in quality and price. What unheralded beers compete with the whales in your experience?
  2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,840) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

The complete BA line of Central Waters; BBA Stout, BBA Barleywine, BBA Cherry Stout, BBA Scotch Ale, BBA Quad, and BBA Cassian Sunset Stout.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,774) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Everything I've tried from Unibroue fits this description.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,282) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

Tilquin Gueuze a l'ancienne sits on the shelf, and it's up there with the best of them.
  5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,207) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I certainly wouldn't call Big Bad Baptist under-hyped.
  6. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (190) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

More regional to the Mid Atlantic, but Cape May Brewing Company makes some fantastic beers. And if you ever get the chance to venture to their tasting room, their collection of sours is an amazing tasting experience.
  7. Metalsnota

Metalsnota Disciple (368) Feb 6, 2015 Minnesota

Bent Paddle's Double Shot Double Black
  8. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Devotee (475) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Lately I've been drinking mostly everything Stillwater puts out and I think they are the most impressive, consistent, and interesting brewery right now that is easy to get for me.

Stateside Saison
    Cellar Door
    Extra Dry
  9. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (247) Dec 14, 2016 California

Right now Im loving every beer Holy Mountain puts out, as well as Kilowatt.
    jlharman and larryi86 like this.
  10. JimGraz

JimGraz Initiate (142) Aug 29, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I still question my beer knowledge every time I walk past Founders Porter. Just spot-on perfect porter. While I know it gets a 94 rating here, I see it constantly on the shelves, never being bought, never go to an event where it is served and never hear anyone talk about it. So its rating is high, but it seems underrated in terms of people paying attention to it.
  11. JoeK89

JoeK89 Aspirant (221) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

W00tstout. Never hear anyone talk about it. Gets solid ratings but think it compares to or is better(KBS) than beers ranked higher. Also, it is only $10ish for a bomber.
  12. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (247) Dec 14, 2016 California

Just my personal 2¢ on this but I think over the past few years, beer nerds have become so enamored with BA editions and limited bottling that 'everyday' beers dont carry the same luster they once did.
  13. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (188) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Gonna second this one totally.
    I haven't been disappointed in the least by anything they've put out the past year or so after transitioning into cans and updating a few recipes.

Always my go-to brewery.

Edit: Can't forget about On Fleek! :wink:
    #13 mambossa, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  14. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (263) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

Odell Cutthroat porter. It's well reviewed but I just don't believe there are 76 other porters that are better. This beer just hits all the right notes for me. One of my favorites.
  15. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (170) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Drink fresh, drink local. Whalez? Hmmm. Most of what I drink comes from within 50 miles of me. Sierra and Rodenbach being the exception. Whatever I see on the shelf. I like them unhyped, unrated, unheralded. Just have to come to MA to find them. 5,000 + breweries in the US, so much so good. Is it always a contest? The judge that matters is your taste buds.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (772) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Any hoppy beer that isn't hazy.
  17. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Any imperial stout that isn't barrel aged and/or doesn't have spices (or other additives).
  18. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Any sour beer that doesn't have fruit added to it.
  19. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (268) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

In the same vein I'd suggest Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze. They catch some flack for their sweeter, fruited lambics, but you can get the Cuvée Rene Gueuze about anywhere and it's great.
    Gajo74, bubseymour, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (813) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Almost any beer from Sierra Nevada.
  21. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,121) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

As good as it is, Arcadia's Shipwreck Porter never gets the hype that it should have. I see it on store shelves just waiting for someone to grab it, and the price nowadays isn't out of line like maybe it used to be. I like it as much as Bourbon County Stout.
    FBarber, Billet and Lahey like this.
  22. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (247) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

None. Really good unhyped beer is similar to really good unhyped bourbon. Consider yourself lucky to know about it, shut your mouth, live a better life. Let the people who want what they buy to have hype. I'm good.
  23. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (892) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

I have to agree with @Squire123. I've never had a beer from Unibroue that was anything short of amazing, yet I hardly see them mentioned on BA aside from the odd whisper of La Fin du Monde.
    tmalt likes this.
  24. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (194) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I would be inclined to say a lot of beers produced in Oklahoma that are not Prairie or American Solera.

I will second this to an extent. La Terrible, La Resolution, Grande Reserve 17, and La Fin du Monde are all fantastic beers. I've never been able to get behind Trois Pistoles, or Maudite, although it has been years since I've had either. And the Ephemere fruit beers are really hit and miss for me.
  25. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,636) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

I don't have access to most of those beers listed, but I will second Founders Porter
    surfcaster, larryi86, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  26. Junior

Junior Disciple (339) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Stone Enjoy By. Especially the Unfiltered versions. It's available nationwide, is delivered fresh, and isn't at a horrible price. I know it's relatively highly rated, but it doesn't seem to get much discussion on here. At least that I see. In my opinion, it is a great beer. Admittedly, I haven't purchased much of it this year.
  27. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (103) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Double Barrel Big Bad Baptist , Dorris the Destroyer from Hoppin Frog and Creeper form Columbus
    Spaceman_Jer, SFACRKnight and Lahey like this.
  28. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (103) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio
    Beer Trader

And add Narwhal to my list
  29. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (243) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'm sure plenty of people like it and mention it. But I see kbs, bourbon county and world wide stout mentioned much more. I think the baptist is as good or better, but doesn't get the same clout. Plus I see it on shelves a lot. I think if people knew how good it was it wouldn't sit. I get what you mean though, the people that know, know. Ya know? :wink:
  30. BWood

BWood Crusader (717) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Couldn't agree more. I've praised wootstout for years. Great brew.
  31. BWood

BWood Crusader (717) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Mad house carpe Diem is probably the best beer I have had in the last year. Put that brewery in your radar.
  32. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (538) Dec 12, 2014 California

Kosmic Mother Funk
    tzieser likes this.

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (230) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Beer Trader

BA B.O.R.I.S. and T.O.R.I.S. from Hopping Frog....always passed on these when visiting the parents in MN because the label looked kind of dumb and childish.....hahahah....boy was I the dummy, these are delicious!!!!
  34. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,284) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Especially if you cellar it for a year or 2.
    Beersnob724 likes this.
  35. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,284) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Madhouse has been impressing me. Carpe is one of my favorite beers, unfortunately it's not easy to get unless you go to the brewery. They also really dialed in the el jefe, BA Mexican stout, recipe this year, I didn't like it the first release, but this years was outstanding. Their sour program is excellent as well. Honestly I'd recommend putting Des Moines as a whole on your radar. Madhouse is just one of our excellent breweries.
    BWood likes this.
  36. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (771) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Thirsty dog barrel aged siberian night and wulver are top dogs for being undervalued (no pun intended).

Fat heads head hunter too. It always amazes me how blitzed we are with so many IPAs today yet the more I try, head hunter never really gets outdone. I like dank IPAs though so obviously I'm partial to this over a "juicy" offering.
  37. Donco

Donco Devotee (493) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Totally agree! One of my "unsung" favorites.
    BWood likes this.
  38. Donco

Donco Devotee (493) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'd add one more: Weyerbacher Insanity. A terrific BA Barleywine that doesn't get the ranking I think it deserves.
  39. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,272) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Funkwerks Saison and Prairie Standard.

On board with the Founders Porter and Odell Cutthroat mentions as well. Big Bad Baptist too.
    Spaceman_Jer likes this.
  40. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (604) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

BWood likes this.