Underrated Beer Experiences

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IPAExpert69, Jun 14, 2018.

1. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (168) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

We all hear about how great shower beers, the first beer on vacation, and beers with your son/dad are all the time. I was wondering, what are some of the lesser known beer experiences that you all really enjoy?

My List:
    • Beer given complimentary at workplace socials
    • The fancy barber shop beer
    • Poker Night Beers
    • Halftime at the game beer
    • Flight at a new brewery
    Cheers!

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (872) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Hmmm . . . this is a tough one, 'cause anything that involves beer is usually rated just right in my eyes.

3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (872) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'm gonna havta go with, "Solid beer list at a place you didn't expect it."

4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,035) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Haven't really thought about it since I welcome beer anytime.

cavedave, Troutbeerbum and Shanex like this.
  5. Shanex

Shanex Champion (855) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Mine is pretty low-key: the beer after a 5 miles stroll on the beach at dusk. Incredible beer experience.

6. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (199) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I suppose going to someones house who would have never guessed drank good beer, only to find out that they do, and now you have a new drinking buddy.

7. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Beers around a campfire in the fall, good company and conversation, and no modern distractions.

Ranbot, mtgwi, taxandbeerguy and 21 others like this.
  8. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Disciple (338) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

My all time favorite beer moments have been at concerts, especially when I land at a venue with good choices. nothing like good beer, loud music and sweat

beerluvr and spongebob2 like this.
  9. Jlabs

Jlabs Savant (945) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

meeting a fellow beer lover at a bar/brewery and discussing your love of beers over a nice cold libation

10. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,334) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

First beer on Friday. First homebrew. First seasonal beer each season every year.

11. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (732) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

An unfashionably cold beer after a long ride or run on a 90 degree day

mtgwi, KarlHungus, Prep8611 and 7 others like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,508) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Hell yeah!

rudiecantfail, eppCOS and rozzom like this.
  13. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (488) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

My wife is iffy on beer. She'll really enjoy some stuff and can't stand other stuff. A beer I really enjoy is one I pegged her liking and was right. Sharing that one makes me happy.

mtgwi, KarlHungus, Dan411 and 4 others like this.
  14. Fly_Moe

Fly_Moe Initiate (90) May 22, 2012 Florida

I have 2.

1. After cutting the grass on a hot day then coming inside having a cold one before jumping in the shower and watching football the rest of the day. Love that.

2. Getting up early, going fishing, and cracking one open on the lake as the sun is coming up.

15. IceAce

IceAce Champion (897) Jan 8, 2004 California

The first beer of the day...

...any day.

AlcahueteJ and NeroFiddled like this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,394) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Nothing better than dusk hitting, sitting next to a lake/pond and casting out a line and grabbing a freezing cold beer from the cooler. Something about that peaceful evening with just crickets in the background and no computers, phones, lights, noise, just peace and quiet.
    That is the best.....

17. guzzleacoldone

guzzleacoldone Disciple (318) Feb 3, 2007 Ohio

Pulling up to the stadium on a crisp fall Saturday and having a cold one while setting up the tailgate.

Prep8611, Lucular, Harrison8 and 9 others like this.
  18. Dravin

Dravin Aspirant (210) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

I always enjoy pointing someone to a beer they end up liking, doubly so if they aren't fans of beer to begin with.

rudiecantfail likes this.
  19. CoverMePorkins

CoverMePorkins Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012 New Mexico

Going into a bottle shop, liquor store etc that isn't in the same state or area of the country that you live. Be it traveling on vacation/work or for me moving every three years. Seeing shelves of beer you haven't tried is like Christmas for me.

20. eppCOS

eppCOS Crusader (722) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

As for repeat moments, +1 on a long run (anything 10+ miles) and great, cold, snappy beer while I still have a runner's high going...

21. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (272) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I like the Halloween night beers myself. Nothing beats a Nosferatu or Dogfish Head Punkin Ale while you're watching scary movies on October 31st.

22. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,035) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Premium

Jam session beer! I host jam sessions at my house every few months and folks usually bring along some beer to share. Nothing like making improvised music while drinking some good beer and perhaps a bit of good cannabis along with it. One of my favorite beer experiences.

23. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,013) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

Being given a free beer because it's the last in the keg and doesn't quite fill the glass. Introducing good beer to a non-craft drinker who loves it at first taste. Returning to an old favorite to find it's just as good as you remember.

24. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (284) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I have 3 I can think of:

1. First (actually every) beer around a campfire
    2. Beers in the Fall (close to or on Halloween)
    3. First seasonal beer of the season

25. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (517) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Four pints of Dark Mild in a flat-roofed Scunthorpe pub on a wet Tuesday afternoon in February.

26. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,175) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Walking down the street and literally discovering a new brewery. (This actually happened to me a few weeks ago in Falls Church, Virginia.) And the beer was excellent.

JayORear and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  27. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (284) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

One experience I forgot to include was sitting down in a pub in Dublin after visiting Guinness, drinking Beamish Irish Dry Stout, and talking to some locals there. Most locals were drinking Irish beers, but a couple we spent most time talking to were drinking Coors Light in a glass with ice. They loved it.

28. StoutAtTheDevil

StoutAtTheDevil Zealot (534) Nov 17, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

My first Oktoberfest beer in mid-September is something I look forward to every year.

CanadaBoy, bmugan, Lucular and 5 others like this.
  29. CoverMePorkins

CoverMePorkins Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012 New Mexico

I've been to Ireland twice including Dublin for the big day in March. I saw the Coors Light phenomenon and was sort of shocked. Had a damn good time though and the more I drank the better I could understand the locals.

BeastOfTheNortheast and JayORear like this.
  30. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (46) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

A couple for me:
    - Beer after a soccer game or race
    - Beer after working in the yard on a hot day
    - First beer of vacation
    - Beer when while jamming and making music

LarryV and JayORear like this.
  31. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (131) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

Call me an amateur, but my answer: ay drinking. I rarely feel like starting to drink until late afternoon, but on those rare occasion that I feel up to it (and it's deemed socially acceptable), that 10am beer tastes glorious. The occasions that come to mind are golf tournaments, auto races, early golf outings, or just being on vacation.

CoverMePorkins likes this.
  32. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,508) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Another hell yeah!

The last one of the season is usually bittersweet, though, because I've pretty much had my fill at that point. But it takes a lot to get there :wink:.

YamBag, AlcahueteJ, bret717 and 5 others like this.
  33. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,107) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

My friends and I used to ride the Trek100 Ride for Hope every year -- for the charity, fun, challenge, camaraderie -- and free beer from the Delafield Brewhaus at the end of the ride.

Underrated to some, not to us.

Um, "used to" because we're too old and they moved the event too far away.

34. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,035) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Premium

#34 LarryV, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  35. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,324) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Pumpkin Beers & horror movies/shows are always a winning combo. I remember I first really got into that combo during Season 1 (only S1) of Sleepy Hollow & DFH Punkin. Good stuff.

Prep8611, SFACRKnight and cmiller4642 like this.
  36. 1960mb

1960mb Initiate (24) Feb 24, 2015 Wisconsin

Similar to your post finding a great deal on good beer. Like tonight the Rock Bottom in MKE had a promotional deal of two 20 oz taps and a mini appetizer for $5 and they have really solid beer.

37. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,112) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Best beer I ever had, my wife and I were walking the bike trails on a sunny and humid 98 degree day, with about a 109 degree heat index, and no wind. As we got close to the car, I spotted a outdoor bar at a hotel, so I went right over and ordered a local beer, a hefeweizen. I know it's not politically correct on this site, but it came in a heavily frosted glass. Best damn beer, even though the beer itself was only meh. The wife had an ice cold Coke.

[​IMG]

38. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Meyvn (1,352) Jan 23, 2014 New York

Post run beer that you drink a little too fast.

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,636) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Lots of good beer in Asheville. Took the wife to Biltmore for Xmas, went to an old favorite place for a beer and a pizza. Barleys IMO is pretty damn good, had a nice pie and a simple Highlands IPA. That beer was fresh and fabulous, tons of fruit, as good in that moment as any beer I've ever had.

25Comical and WhiteHart like this.
  40. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,002) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

And the bucket list keeps getting longer and longer...

AlcahueteJ likes this.