Une Année/Hubbard's Cave Releases

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by PhilBallins, Feb 23, 2018.

1. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (132) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Decided to make a dedicated thread since there is so much good stuff coming out of this place. We get around to talking about their IPA's but the sours are killing it as well.

The new Grand Monde (2018-1) is fantastic with black currant and vanilla. Up front it's very tart and jammy. The vanilla comes in at the end and cuts it off right before it becomes too sour.

The new Fresh (V12) is great. And Coco Van is back, one of the best non-BA pastry stouts in the area.

2. Coons

Coons Initiate (157) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm currently working my way through the entire Le Seul series and I've really liked each one. They're not terribly complex but man are they sour! Also just picked up Coco Van that I'm looking forward to doing a "review" of (ha).

The only problems I've had are with the Hubbard's Cave side 1.) my v10 was oxidized. newspaper & brown sugar, awful. 2.) the maple stout I got was nothing but bitter coffee.

PhilBallins likes this.
  3. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (259) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If you haven’t had coco van before, be warned - there may be coconut floating around in there! The one I had was delicious, but lots of sediment.

PhilBallins likes this.
  4. Coons

Beer Trader

you should see some of the beers ive made
    #chunkehhh

PhilBallins likes this.
  5. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Devotee (478) Nov 7, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Brewing the most consistently good NE style IPAs out of all suburban breweries if you ask me.

I pick up each new V-series and their single hop series IPAs and have not had one that I'd consider below par. Some have been straight up incredible.

vikingpillager and PhilBallins like this.
  6. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (318) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And while the format is nobody’s favorite, at least it’s just $9.99 which is a bargain by comparison to other 750’s of the style

7. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (145) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

I support this thread. Phenomenal sours, great stouts and great hazy IPA’s. Baffles me they aren’t more popular within the Chicago beer scene.

Jason1221, PhilBallins and Nbrock24 like this.
  8. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,587) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'll be "that guy".

Cloying, undrinkable stouts & wildly inconsistent IPA's that are average at best.

Haven't had any of the sours so I can't comment on those.

Bbear and Coons like this.
  9. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

1. Boo

2. The Grande Mondes are the best thing they do, I'd recommend checking them out some time.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  10. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,388) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I've had very hit-or-miss experiences with the Fresh IPA series, some that were fantastic and others that were nearly drainpours (still well within the recommended label dates).

I got to check out the taproom for the first time this past weekend and sampled 7-8 different beers. I didn't bother rating everything, since I usually get sensory overload at breweries with flights in front of me and people all around. But my favorite, far and away, was the La Grand Monde 2018-1. I didn't rate that one because it hadn't been added to BA yet and I couldn't do so on my phone, but I left with a few bottles of it that I'll rate when I crack one.

My least favorite was the BA Austere; I'm usually a sucker for brandy-aged beers, but this one was in a barrel for three years, and that was maybe two years too long.

PhilBallins likes this.
  11. Hop-Trollop

“Haven’t had any of their sours” is all I needed to read here.

beerindex, Coons and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. GuyFawkes

Beer Trader

When you've plopped down $$ for two styles and they've been bad....why keep trying?

Hop-Trollop likes this.
  13. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

I've had some definite misses with the stouts so I get those, but you've really disliked the IPA's that much? To me they're probably only second to Corridor in consistent haze quality. They can be on the undercarbed side (which I don't mind and sometimes like) so I could see that I guess.

Nbrock24 and Coons like this.
  14. GuyFawkes

Beer Trader

To be honest, it's the IPA's that have pissed me off the most.

I'll have one & think it's not good.

The next release comes out & people on here say "they nailed this one!"

I'll buy it & think it's not good.

Rinse & repeat.

BUT I'll grant you this.

If you sour-heads are saying that's their real strength...I'll give one a shot. Just b/c I like the folks on this forum & like giving money to a local business.

15. P739397

P739397 Initiate (140) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Go out to the brewery so you can try a bunch at once. Their wild program is great.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  16. Coons

Beer Trader

I'm 0/1 with their stouts, 1/2 with their IIPAs, and 4/4 with their sours. Like I said, not terribly complex, but all mouth puckering sours. Some balanced (black currant, oasis), some just pure warhead (blackberry lemon, cranberry and sour cherry). I've liked them all.

For that reason I keep giving the hubbard's cave side of things more opportunities. If the coco van doesn't turn out, I may be done with them. But the wild ales I can't quit on

PhilBallins and GuyFawkes like this.
  17. vikingpillager

vikingpillager Disciple (336) Jan 9, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just found out recently that their sours actually have a small following on the East Coast already!

Born_A_Jee and PhilBallins like this.
  18. joeyknuckles

joeyknuckles Initiate (165) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I second their sours/wilds. Great people working there and they’ll sell 1/6 barrels of the le seul series for your home kegerator. Very nice if you like having a sour draft option at home

PhilBallins and GuyFawkes like this.
  19. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Champion (814) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I do think their sours are great, and wish I made it over there a little more often. Some are a bit too puckering for me, but in general the Le Grand Monde series has been my favorites.

@GuyFawkes I’d second the notion that it’s worth making a trip over there to try more than one of the sours in a draft format instead of committing to a 750. Plus it’s a cool vibe inside even if it is in a strip mall.

Haven’t had many of their IPAs lately - it’s just a crowded marketplace. I think I’ve said this before on a different thread, but I think more plain labels they’ve gone for probably hurts sales - particularly for IPAs in that larger format.

GuyFawkes and capnmike like this.
  20. lloydboss

lloydboss Disciple (331) May 9, 2014 Illinois

Do they kettle sour their sour beers or do they use the more traditional method with barrels, etc?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  21. AlwaysAHoot

AlwaysAHoot Initiate (19) Aug 26, 2017 Illinois

The Hubbard Cave IPA is probably my favorite IPA in the city behind Corridor. I like the plain labeling, but I could see how it's not great marketing. He takes black and white photos of juicy IPAs to post on social media which is definitely interesting.

PhilBallins likes this.
  22. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (119) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Same feelings here; I may like the More Brewing IPA's a touch more but of course those are not available at the stores. Every V-series has been either great or perfect. The recent fresh one hop citra was perfection.

Unfortunately, people are catching on as they are getting more difficult to find on the shelves when they are released.

PhilBallins likes this.
  23. Hop-Trollop

I personally think El Zacaton is better than Abraxas.

24. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (188) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Whoa really????? I've never had El Zacaton, but now I'm interested.

25. Hop-Trollop

Right here underneath our nose the whole time.

26. P739397

P739397 Initiate (140) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

They call them wild, so I don't think they're kettle soured. Most of them are from stainless, not wood though.

lloydboss and GuyFawkes like this.
  27. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

I wouldn't put it above Abraxas myself, but it's good. It's on the sweeter side

Hop-Trollop and TigerDriver91 like this.
  28. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (306) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Peche is one of my favorite beers.

lloydboss and PhilBallins like this.
  29. Coons

Beer Trader

how much were they? I'd like to get one or two but can't get out there any time in the next week or so. Might consider trade

30. Coons

Beer Trader

Also Le Seul XIX - Aronia is fucking awesome. Not super tart, probably the most red non-lambic i've ever had

PhilBallins likes this.
  31. Quilentro

Beer Trader

We did a side-by-side at a FR share between Mexican Cake, hunahpu, abraxas, and zocaton, and El-Z stood tall with the big boys. Definitely sweet. Launched us into a long digression about cinnamon, and what it does - I mean what it really does - on the palate.

You know a beer is good when things get philosophical.

32. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

The GM's are $20 and usually last a decent amount of time.

33. Coons

Beer Trader

awesome. do you think if i were to make a trip thursday they'd still be around?

34. lloydboss

lloydboss Disciple (331) May 9, 2014 Illinois

Thanks, appreciate it. I've tried a few of their sours & liked some more than others. Peche is my highest rated by far. Given how often (to me) new Le Seul beers are hitting the market I was wondering if he kettle soured to keep the production at that level. I'm curious as to how he does wild beers in stainless though TBH. I should make a trip to the tap room & ask!

PhilBallins likes this.
  35. MountainKing

MountainKing Initiate (27) Sep 12, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I may need to give Una Annee another chance, the two stouts I had from them were both clearly infected and disgusting. I had coffee and cakes from Hubbards and got diabetes so I'm a bit turned off on stouts from them as well. Agree about Hubbards Fresh series tho, that's where it's at for me.

emerge077 and GuyFawkes like this.
  36. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

I would think so.

37. Quilentro

Beer Trader

Coffee and cakes, even the v-2, didn’t do it for me - even though I usually really like that combo. I also had that crazy maple barrel Mexican biscotti cake beforehand, so <insert shrug emoji here>.

Coco van was very good. For the rest of us was meh.

Have they been doing any barrel aged stouts?

38. Coons

Beer Trader

just drank mine. did not enjoy it. had a liquory dark fruit twang in front and mainly bitter chocolate in back. got what I thought was vanilla for a second but i couldn't find it again. no coconut.

might take a break from the hubbards cave side for a while. une anee ill go hard with though

GuyFawkes likes this.
  39. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,388) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I actually snapped a pic of their menu while I was there. La Grand Mondes were $20, La Seuls $13, others were varied. I wouldn't worry too much about them running out quickly, though, given how many bottles of past releases they still had available to-go.

[​IMG]

PhilBallins likes this.
  40. Coons

Beer Trader

awesome, thank you