Uneven Oxidation?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by clegolfski, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clegolfski

clegolfski Aspirant (299) Jul 13, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

So I am working through some of my aging experiments. (Brooklyn Black Choc. Stout is an unmitigated disaster at two years btw.) I just cracked a two year old Great Lakes Blackout Stout (Non BA).

I made an initial small pour and found it to be drinkable but with very forgettable. I poured the rest of the bottle and got a much more dynamic taste.

Anyone else with similar experience?

2. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (582) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've had mixed success with BCS. Some really good, some not so great. Haven't had Blackout but the only thing I could think of (and I am not up on my chemistry) was that the top layer was oxidized and the beer wasn't agitated and since you only poured out a little, that first small pour took the brunt of the oxidation. This could be totally off base, just throwing out an idea.

3. clegolfski

clegolfski Aspirant (299) Jul 13, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

My semi informed speculation is that is what happened. Also, I think that the issue with BCS and to a certain degree Blackout is that they are not bottle conditioned. As opposed to Expedition, which is. That little bit of yeast in the bottle goes a long way in eating oxygen. The more I think about it that may be more of a factor then just about anything else in the ability of beers to hold up. Healthy yeast = happiness. Or I could be talking out of my ass.

paulys55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.