Unique Glassware?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by BPGEFL, Sep 18, 2013.

1. BPGEFL

BPGEFL Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Virginia

Has anyone ever seen these glasses before? I was surprised to find 9 of them at my local thrift store (where I buy all my beer glassware) so I snatched them up for pennies. They are the perfect size and, IMO, shape for IPAs (kinda like those DFH IPA glasses), but I have not been able to verify that they were intended for beer or IPAs specifically. Anybody else seen glasses like these? Have you found any other unique glasses that are perfect for enjoying craft beer? (Also, that's the custom bar I built in the basement. Pretty proud of it.)
    [​IMG]

2. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Initiate (181) Jul 26, 2012 Texas

3. BPGEFL

Thanks, UtisTheLaw, how the hell did you do that?

4. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Initiate (181) Jul 26, 2012 Texas

Followed the link you had put up in the original post and copied the address into the insert/edit image pop-up.

Those also look like good IPA glasses

BPGEFL likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I have one of those glasses that I too picked up from a thrift shop. I like it a lot.

BPGEFL likes this.
  6. Tertullian007

Tertullian007 Disciple (307) Nov 4, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I Think these are handcrafted specifically for thrift stores.

dirtyhalos, ufmj, Terrapin8 and 9 others like this.
  7. maDUECEgunner

maDUECEgunner Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Minnesota

I got my tulip glass from a thrift store. Best $1.07 ever.

BPGEFL likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,771) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Carling used them (and many other styles of glassware) in a series of ads in the early '60s.

[​IMG]

I've got a few of the same design that were given out by the now-defunct United Brewery Workers Union at their convention in the 1960s.

9. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (389) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I think my parents have a couple of those at their place... Haven't looked specifically for ages... maybe I should look again and maybe adopt them.
    They may be good for my planned experiments in etching glass.

BPGEFL and rinhaak like this.
  10. rinhaak

rinhaak Zealot (524) Jun 23, 2009 Massachusetts

I've also found a bunch of them at thrift stores. I etched a bunch last year and made "official" glassware for my homebrewery.

BPGEFL likes this.
  11. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (604) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

12. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,137) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

My grandparents used to have (and regularly use) these glasses back in the 1980s... not sure what happened to them after my grandfather passed away as he was the only beer drinker in the household.

kevanb and BPGEFL like this.
  13. BPGEFL

Pretty cool. I like to think my IPA glasses have lived a beerful life, even before they got to me.

14. ChugLife

ChugLife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Colorado

15. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (559) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

ChipMurray and BPGEFL like this.
  16. ChugLife

ChugLife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Colorado

Saying that you shopped at the same thrift store was more of a joke than an actual assumption. I was just pointing out the obvious that the two glasses are from the same era and have a similar style.

VonZipper likes this.
  17. BPGEFL

I'd love to see how they turned out. I might steal your idea.

18. BPGEFL

That looks more like it might be handmade (handblown?) instead of mass produced. Very cool!

RobertColianni likes this.
  19. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (559) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

Nicely done, Keith :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

BPGEFL and rinhaak like this.
  20. BPGEFL

Yes, that is pretty badass. Now I'm inspired to look into doing something like this too. Cheers!

rinhaak likes this.
  21. rinhaak

It's really very simple. I cut out a stencil from some thick adhesive paper. Stuck it on the glass, and lathered on a bunch of etching cream with a popsicle stick. Let it sit for a few minutes, and washed it off. Easy.

22. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Savant (945) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Wow, that's awesome. If it's really that easy, I'm doing this for my new brewery that doesn't exist.

23. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Savant (945) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

I'm curious now, what adhesive paper did you use? Does the etching cream not affect the paper at all or does it depend on the paper? Does the paper stretch at all to accommodate the curvature of the glass?

zekeman17 likes this.
  24. rinhaak

There is adhesive paper made specifically for glass etching. I don't recall off hand who made it, but it was pretty thick and rubbery. I was able to stretch it out to fit the curvature of the glass, but it took a couple tries before I got it just right.

The rubberiness of the paper prevents the etching cream from affecting it.

25. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Initiate (156) Mar 19, 2012 Ohio

Came across a dozen or so thrift store IPA glasses today. They even had three styles. Curious about the history of this style.
    [​IMG]

BPGEFL likes this.
  26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,771) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

The International Union of the United Brewery Workers of America gave out these glasses with their logo for their 33rd Convention in Detroit in 1954.

And Genesee used the style in a 1974 promo pamphlet (apparently aimed a male drinkers - unknown if this was the era when their "secret ingredient" was testosterone).

[​IMG]

27. PfeifferMan

PfeifferMan Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2016

We have about 8 of those glasses from 1954 Detroit Convention. My Dad worked for Pfeiffers for 17 years, until they closed, and loved that job.

he International Union of the United Brewery Workers of America gave out these glasses with their logo for their 33rd Convention in Detroit in 1954.

And Genesee used the style in a 1974 promo pamphlet (apparently aimed a male drinkers - unknown if this was the era when their "secret ingredient" was testosterone).

[​IMG][/QUOTE]