Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Unknown Maine Beers

Discussion in 'New England' started by Coulombemj90, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Coulombemj90

Coulombemj90 Initiate (34) Dec 7, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I feel like everyone knows about Allagash, Bissell Brothers, Foundation and Maine Beer Company due to the lines I see when I try to buy beer in these spots. Although Maine Beer Company is now sold all over the place. But what else are people drinking from Maine that's really good?

I've heard that Austin Street is really good but I haven't had it yet.

I've purchased Brightside IPA from Lone Pine Brewing Company and have really enjoyed that beer and when going north of Portland/Freeport, Orono Brewing Company has really impressed me, Marshalls Wharf Brewing in Belfast is good but most of all Marsh Island Brewing has been pretty amazing. I'm a big fan of their Flag! Stout, the Downrigger IPA and most of all their Pulp Truck IPA. The Pulp Truck IPA is right up there on the same level as Epiphany from Foundation or anything Bissell has put out. If you get north of Augusta I definitely recommend checking it out or if you are able to find it in Portland on draft.

2. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (330) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Oxbow makes some amazing beers

3. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (38) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Austin Street is indeed really good. I greatly prefer them to Foundation and Maine Beer Company (outside of Another One, Dinner and a couple of the Hop Program beers). Sebago's BBA barleywine is amazing. Oxbow is also fantastic.

hopley, Shaymus and eb1610 like this.
  4. mmorris15

mmorris15 Zealot (586) Dec 30, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

All the ones you've mentioned are the locals that stand out to me. Orono and Marsh Island are both putting out great beers right now but a lot of people don't make it farther north of Portland, although both have been sending kegs and cans to Portland pretty regularly lately. Marsh Island also just put out another NE IPA called Swhazye which is delicious.

And I second Austin Street and Oxbow. Both make awesome beer.

VABA likes this.
  5. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,285) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just last night I had a beer from a Maine brewery I hadn't heard of: Barreled Souls. The beer was barrel aged deep space and it was phenomenal.

JakerLou, Rysk22, hopley and 3 others like this.
  6. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (546) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have a keg of Austin st Patina Pale on tap presently. Outstanding session beer - juicy/crisp and cloudy yellow. Highly recommend

7. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (252) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Oxbow is one of the best breweries in ME period. Rising Tide is a hop and skip away from oxbow and thier beers are noce and different enough from what everyone else is brewing that it makes a nice accompaniment to any other brewery trip.

I'm big on Austin St. Barreled Souls is probably the most under the radar brewery in the area.

Liquid Riot is also awesome with many solid taps and a few beers that really wow.

8. gestyr

gestyr Disciple (383) Dec 5, 2005 Pennsylvania

I like Baxter Brewing. They make some interesting brews. Every time I am in Maine I pick some up.

dbexpert likes this.
  9. AirBob

AirBob Defender (650) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'll echo Oxbow, Rising Tide, Austin St., and Barreled Souls. Oxbow's blending and bottling space in Portland is one of my favorite brewery stops in Portland. I've enjoyed a few from Banded Horn within the last year or so, namely Daikaiju, Luminaire, and Norweald.

10. Sheppard

Sheppard Champion (827) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I feel like Banded Horn and Barreled Souls fly under the radar because they're not in Portland. I like both of their taprooms as well. Oxbow has my favorite tap room in Maine. I like Austin St more than Foundation, but I have no idea how they plan to grow because they're tiny.

JakerLou and Pete_Gill like this.
  11. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (541) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Last time at Thirsty Pig I had an Orono Ozone and it was fantastic, juice and bitterness were both there. The 5.5% abv I saw afterward was surprisingly low, am anxious to get my hands on more of their beers on future visits...

12. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,010) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Would also mention these places south of Portland, all making very good beers: Hidden Cove in Wells, SoMe in York, and Tributary in Kittery.

Shaymus likes this.
  13. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (114) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'd go further and say Oxbow makes some of the best beer in New England. I think I drank my mortgage worth of catalyst recently.

14. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (148) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Banded horn and Barreled souls too.

15. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Disciple (318) Jan 3, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Gneiss Brewing makes some good brews, Sebago is big and popular but keep your eyes open for cask versions of their beers on tap because they are phenomenal, Foul Mouthed brewing (brew pub with some great Belgian renditions and awesome food), Liquid Riot (and try the Bier Schnapps), Fore River Brewing, Lively Brewing, Rock Harbor Brewing, Bunker Brewing if you're a big fan of Lagers. And I'll echo Austin St, Banded Horn, Barreled Souls, Lone Pine, Marsh Island, Oxbow, and Rising Tide. There is a ton of beer in Maine and a lot of it is Wicked Good.

16. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (369) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll second Bunker doesn't get enough love. Their Salad Daze is one of the tastiest hoppy lagers around. Also Banded Horn and Barreled Souls make amazing stouts.

17. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (252) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Didn't even think of sebago. Good everyday stuff. Nice food. BA stuff is out of this world. Always put the BBABW ahead of sucuba.

Good call.

18. zeuiax

zeuiax Aspirant (243) May 1, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

liquid riot and great rhythm. Not from Maine be Deciduous in NH on your way to Portland is awesome too..

19. hopley

hopley Champion (852) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've been going up to Maine regularly for my entire life but I don't live there and obviously think that Allagash is the big daddy of them all. And yes, Bissell is probably the best in the new class for IPAs. But of the new new class - Austin Street stands out to me as the stand out. They do a great job with the hoppy stuff and their collaboration with Hoof Hearted this summer called Yann Bandana was the best IPA to come out of Maine in my opinion. Also, their wilds / saisons are always awesome. Their only problem is they haven't learned, or have been able to get the funding or interest to scale the brewery. The other standout is Barreled Souls - these guys are a small brewery on Route One in and ultra chill spot that pretty much just nail everything they do. Worth stopping in some time. Their schtick is that all their beers hit a barrel at some point or other - same deal with them - they're small and I don't know if they are going to scale any time soon but as a transient Maine guy, I'd love for them to stay small and off the national radar!

20. dciBA

dciBA Aspirant (260) Dec 23, 2007 Maine
    Beer Trader

Hey guys, nice to see Austin Street come up so many times in this thread. I have to admit I'm a little confused about comments relating to scaling up. When we started almost three years ago we were brewing on a 1bbl(yes one bbl, 31gallons) system with a total of 8bbls of fermentation space. We have since upgraded to a 10bbl brewhouse and currently have 50bbl of fermentation capacity, with 50bbl more going online by the end of summer. We may still be a small brewery but we've been constantly growing and evolving over these past few years and will continue to do so. We may not be expanding as rapidly as other breweries but slow, measured, sustainable growth is very important to us. Jake- Austin Street Brewery

21. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (369) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Pumped to see your beers coming to taps/bottle shops in Kittery. Wasn't able to try much of your stuff until recently but have loved everything so far. Keep it up!

dciBA likes this.
  22. hopley

hopley Champion (852) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hey Jake - Glad to hear - I guess it's all relative as I would much rather see slow, measured and sustainable growth like yours rather than any other type of growth at the expense of quality. You guys and Bissell focusing on nailing fewer beers in my opinion have the right idea going. I guess the scaling thing comes with canning lines and Patina, etc. but I'm old school, and if growlers can be called old school, I'm that, so be it. Cheers mate and keep up the good work and please save me a bottle of Moses because I'll be by in a couple weeks. Rusty

Lonborgski and dciBA like this.
  23. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (529) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Banded Horn is a high-quality brewery IMO. Both their lagers & ales are well-made & tasty.

At the other end of the spectrum, tried the Bunker Czech Machine Pils tonight - a diacetyl-ridden mess the brewer should be embarrassed to have left the brewery.

24. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (768) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

For those mentioning Barreled Souls, they have a pretty intense release this weekend

hopley likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.