Use Beer Tools lately?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Amendm, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Amendm

Amendm Champion (842) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Suggest and edit?

I have found a few Beers that needed to be moved to a different style, maybe ten.
    In most if not all of the cases, the Mods. agreed and made the changes quickly.

This site is truly interactive. I have one pending...

Have you used this tool lately/often? Any stud numbers?
    It would be cool if this kinda info could be tracked.

Cheers

KRug, Roguer, StoutElk_92 and 3 others like this.
  2. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (42) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey

Beer Tools didn't even know it existed.

3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,920) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I've used it from time to time to add a picture, to add brewer's notes, to re-activate a beer listed as "retired" but is not, to suggest corrections, etc.

4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,788) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

"Stud numbers"? You lost me with that phrase.

I do use Beer Tools occasionally when I see something like an error that needs to be fixed about a beer or place, or to add a Note to either.

5. Todd

Todd Founder (6,140) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

It's very much aware of its existence. They've been around for around two decades, get used daily by users and the industry, and are mentioned in our FAQ/help resources.
    We do track beer updates (every time a mod or page owner make an update), but not at the user level; as in who submitted the suggestion and if it was acted on or not. This level of tracking would require an extensive update and its usefulness is questionable.

bluejacket74, KRug, beertunes and 9 others like this.
  6. traction

traction Defender (604) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Just curious, how much of BA is just standard forum software and how much is custom coded for additional functionality? Obviously I don't need any exact numbers I'm just curious how much code here is custom. I am assuming a lot.

Amendm likes this.
  7. Todd

Since February 2012, everything outside of the forums is custom and we've hacked the forum quite a bit for our own use over the years. Prior to this it was 100% custom, but I decided that I didn't want to be in the forum development business.

8. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (560) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I've used it at least twice to have a beer changed from discontinued to seasonal and have added several photos, didn't know you could add notes

9. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,865) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Sometimes I add brewery provided notes/descriptions to beers that I'm having that might be new that don't have a description. I add the notes that are provided from the brewery when adding the beer but most local people don't include the description. It's been a couple years since I added a photo because it was a bit difficult I thought. I don't track down every release and add it on there or add descriptions to every beer I see, but if it's new and popular and out for a few days or if I'm getting the beer then I'll add it on here with the full details. I have consolidated some duplicate listings as well and changed ABVs that have varied through the years, made a rerelease un-retired, etc, always checking with the latest brewery updates first, looking at social media posts or on the brewery website if it gets updated. Sometimes I'll leave the style alone if it could be seen as a few different things, unless it is completely wrong, like I had to change a few barrel fermented wild ales from Farmhouse/Saison to Wild Ale, but if it is marketed as a wild saison or farmhouse ale that is sour, I won't change it from Saison to Wild Ale, or from Wild Ale to Saison because to me it could be either, as it is both styles a Wild Saison. I try to only make definitive updates with the beer tools.

10. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,470) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I've used it to have brewer's notes added or where a style of a beer I added was incorrect. I just added a few descriptions.

Question - is there a way to find beers that I have added? That way I wouldn't have to rely on my pickled brain cells to remember if I don't have the notes to include when I add a beer...

#10 LeRose, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    bluejacket74, beertunes and Amendm like this.
  11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,196) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I would estimate that we (Moderators/Site Editors) process approximately 100 changes a day between Beers and Places and probably reject a handful for various reasons (duplicate report/change request, incorrect info, etc).

12. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,869) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I appreciate you folks and I'm amazed at how quickly my suggestions for updates happen.

13. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,028) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Probably a few times /month. Most often it is to add the brewery description to a newly added beer.

14. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,264) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Yeah, the changes go through pretty quickly, seems like since they added a handful of mods. Sometimes I see the change within minutes, which is awesome. Thanks, guys.

Oh, and OP, I use it a lot for all the reasons it’s intended, most often to add brewer’s notes.

15. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,113) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I use them several times a week, because probably 25% of the beers I drink I have to add to the site. Then the notes to add description.

16. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,107) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

OOOH so that is how you add "notes" to a beers listing!

17. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,568) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

LeRose, PapaGoose03 and Amendm like this.
  18. beertunes

Society Trader

Yup, I use Tools to add details, combine listings, add notes, etc fairly regularly. It's a nice feature, and the mods generally act reasonable quickly on things.

19. beertunes

Society Trader

I, too, don't know what "stud numbers" are. Clarification please?

Amendm likes this.
  20. Todd

Yep. As noted in the FAQ.

beertunes likes this.
  21. beertunes

Society Trader

Reeding is diffykult. :wink:

22. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (854) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Excessive tool usage generally leads to stud numbers.

PapaGoose03, beertunes and Amendm like this.
  23. Amendm

Society

It’s sports talk for big numbers, I don’t have a written example. I’ve heard it used in the context of, Lebron (insert your favorite star) put up Stud Numbers last night. It might be a local expression rather than regional.

Not a great term in today's PC world now that I think of it.

Cheers.

PapaGoose03 and beertunes like this.
  24. beertunes

Society Trader

Seems like a Jim Rome thing, eh clones? :wink:

Amendm likes this.
  25. Amendm

Society

I may have heard Denis Eckersley use the phrase.

beertunes likes this.
  26. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,468) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I use Beer Tools quite a bit, usually to add notes if I add a new beer on BA. Sometimes to change the status of something that's listed as retired but really isn't, or to change the style in cases where the label or brewery says on its website that it's a certain style of beer. Very useful tool, I think. The more information that's available, the better for all of us.