1. Junior

Junior Defender (626) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Reading a few other threads recently got me to thinking...Could all of the beer ratings from Beer Advocate be used to predict which other beers I might like (or not like) based on my ratings??? To take it a step further could it be used to predict how much??

My thought is that a preference profile would be created for my based on all of the beers that I have tried. The same would be done for all users. Behind the scenes, my profile would be compared to the profiles of all of the other uses to find ones that closely match. Using the different beers that we have tried (or not) it could predict what what I would like. To make it most beneficial, this would be searchable by style, location and availability. Or If I saw a beer in a store/tap room, I could plug it into the app and the app would report back the likelihood that I would like it - or really, it would predict how I would rate it.

If this feature were available is this something that you would pay extra to use?

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I already know my beer preference etc, I don't need an app to tell me what I should like. I would not need the app but others may enjoy it, cheers.

3. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,206) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Usually down to 2 things: The brewery or the style, if I hate or love & these two line up, usually a good predictor either way

jakecattleco and beaulabauve like this.
  4. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,653) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I get the idea of what are are saying, but I don’t feel like all that work is really needed. The more I review beers I tend to notice users that tend to have reviews similar to me and tend to just read what they say for recommendations. Also if you know styles you like the top ranked beers for a style you will see lots of great options, and usually they have enough reviews to get a good idea of how they taste.

Junior likes this.
  5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,307) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I have my style preferences, we all do, yet I don't like each and every beer within those styles. For me the real question is taste and I can glean more about that from reviews posted on BA.

6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I'd guess this idea isn't quite ready for Prime time yet based on the apps I've seen that try to do something similar. But I'd also expect that well done it has some real potential in helping new folks explore the world of beer, with all it's complexity. In a way it reminds me of most every useful app I've latched onto for computer and mobile devices and even the WWW. "I already can do that, why bother with this."

For example, once upon a time email apps were thought to be unneeded and have only trivial value. After all why would an Exec with a Secretary to take dictation ever want to use email or for that matter even use a computer in the first place? Similarly back in the early 90s some folks said things about it such as, "The what? You mean that Web thingee? Cute idea but I'd have no real use for it." But just look at us now...

I'll be looking forward to seeing how the existing apps for this kind of thing that I've seen so far develop going forward. It worked well for Google and Googling. Might just work for beer search engines as well. (Might even be more trustworthy at recommending a new beer than many of the Bartenders I've met.)

Junior likes this.
  7. drtth

Yes, right now you can glean more from BA reviews,...

But I've a question, do you by chance own a cell phone and have phone numbers stored? Is that more or less useful than a landline and a card file of phone numbers? :slight_smile:

Squire likes this.
  8. Squire

Society Trader

Is there a distinction between owning a cell phone and not bothering to use it?

9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,337) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I think for this feature to be really useful, a series of "tags" about the flavor/aroma/mouthfeel profile would need to be associated with each beer as well as availability (local/regional/state/etc) and format (draft/can/bottle/etc) to be able to give decent recommendations.

Junior likes this.
  10. drtth

For sure. I own one that is in the car for the same reason I have a spare. Might just be needed. Lots of numbers stored in one place and ready for use.

11. Squire

Society Trader

Or I could go to the Brewery website and see if they had anything appealing on offer. Oh wait, that's me using modern technology again.

Bitterbill and Junior like this.
  12. Squire

Society Trader

Ya know you can get a ticket for yaking on a cell phone while driving.

Junior likes this.
  13. drtth

Absolutely and I was a supporter of that idea long before the lawmakers could be persuaded that such distraction could and was causing accidents. That's why our phone is turned off unless needed to deal with a 911 type situation.

In general people are not good at attending to the rest of the world while on the phone. I've often had a meeting with someone disrupted when they say, "Excuse me." and answer the Johnny come lately calling in. Sometimes even waiting until his business is completed while mine is on hold.

Squire likes this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Savant (974) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I try beers without reading about them. I learn as much from beers I don't like so much as those that I love. This is how I have learned through the years.

Bitterbill, Squire and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. drtth

It would be interesting to some if you could share your thoughts about things you have learn about beer from buying several that you found you didn't like? (Beyond just not liking them?) Inquiring minds like to know.

16. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,490) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I've always suspected it but now you've confirmed that you're an old fart!! :wink: But it takes one to know one, and there's nothing wrong with being one. (Other than you can die from old age. :stuck_out_tongue:)

Squire likes this.
  17. rgordon

Super sweet wheat wines, overcooked barley wines, astringent ipas, ipas that taste like a fruit juice, brown ales that carry a ferment flavor, very corny aals, bbl aged stouts that are too bourbon/liquor oriented (I don't like being slapped in the face with whiskey), weak tasting session ales, all pastry creations, and Rolling Rock (it ain't what it once was). But wait there's more......maybe

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. Squire

Society Trader

Unfortunately I lack your sense of adventure.

rgordon and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. Squire

Society Trader

I plan to live long enough to embarrass the grandchildren.

meefmoff, MikeWard and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. rgordon

My bad jokes embarrass my grandsons aged 12 and 9. I know I've scored if both of them roll their eyes at the same time. It's amazing how much funnier things. It's amazing how much funnier things are after a couple beers!

PapaGoose03 and Squire like this.
  21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,783) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

@Junior there is some wisdom here. When looking to purchase an unknown, I am more likely going to look at specific reviews (users who's palate aligns with mine) vs the score to see what was said about that beer or who rated it and how. I find that my taste/preferences tend to line up with some others on the site. I think for something like this to work in real life, it would need to be approached in a couple of ways. 1) take your beer reviews and compare it with others and weight them to see who is most in line with you. Then you could come up with a list of beers that perhaps they have had that you haven't that were rated above a certain ##. 2) feed a list of users who you share the same type of palate with and have it perform the same function against those users beers. 2 requires less work/cpu but more work on your side.

Junior likes this.
  22. drtth

Looking forward to more, especially what I may not be able to learn from reading reviews...

(BTW that RR is basically the same as it used to be. You’ve changed, not it. :slight_smile:)

Junior likes this.
  23. rgordon

I
    I don't know about that RR issue. It doesn't seem as well knitted together as before. But it had been quite a while between those different beers. Maybe 15 years. So......

24. drtth

Well, that was when it was still being brewed in the glasslined tanks of Old Latrobe. After the sale to AB the pros at AB invested a great deal of time and taste testing to get the overall flavor profile "right." (Including a DMS brewing flaw.)

25. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

You shouldn’t need an app, just keep trying new things. You’ll find breweries that can do no wrong for you, styles you like and don’t like etc. The whole fun of this hobby is trying things, I don’t need an app to tell me what I may like, I have a pretty good idea.

Squire and rgordon like this.