Using Maple for a stout - advice

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GetMeAnIPA, Oct 4, 2018.

1. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (537) Mar 28, 2009 California

I have read many threads about using maple on both BA and other sites and based on that, along with what is available to me I plan to use one of the below methods. What method and or advice would you recommend? Also, I have some questions about the methods.

1) adding Maple to the keg. I plan to let the beer condition for an extended period of time, cold condition and add gelatin. My thought is to get out as much yeast as possible so it won’t ferment the maple.

The two questions I have on this is 1) how much maple should I add 2) should I brew a beer with a higher finished gravity in case the maple does ferment out so I don’t end up with a dry stout

2) maple infused spirals. How much and how long to let the beer sit on the spirals? The website I found doesn’t specify the weight of the spirals. The description is a pack of two and could take up to 6 weeks. Does aging the beer cold versus warm impact how fast the beer absorbs the oak/maple flavor?

Should I do both? Only downside is adding both is costs. Maple is $20-$30 and the spirals with shipping is @$20

I haven’t built the recipe yet but I was thinking of doing more of a breakfast stout with coffee. Should I skip the coffee in case the coffee overpowers any subtle maple taste that does come through?

Thanks for any advice/help. Cheers.

brutalfarce likes this.
  2. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (262) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

What ABV are you shooting for?

brutalfarce likes this.
  3. GetMeAnIPA

8- 8.5%

brutalfarce likes this.
  4. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (108) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Would it work if you add the maple to the keg when the beer is cold so it doesn't ferment. I would also skip the gelatin.

spersichilli and brutalfarce like this.
  5. GetMeAnIPA

Yeah that’s my thought. Condition it and transfer it cold.

Why skip gelatin? I always use gelatin on any none hazy/ne style ipas. I’ve always had good results with it. Clears my beers perfectly.

brutalfarce likes this.
  6. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Initiate (195) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Add sorbate with the maple to stabilize and prevent further fermentation. Yeast hates sorbate real bad and would rather lie down and sleep than ferment in presence of sorbate.

SFACRKnight and brutalfarce like this.
  7. wasatchback

Yeah at 8-8.5% if you added it to the keg and kept it cold you’re good. If it was say closer to say 12% I don’t think you’d even need to keep it cold. You could fine it or cold age it, both work. Personally I’d maybe add it twice. Reduce some down until it’s so unbelievabky thick and add it at WP or during fermentation. Then add it to the keg if you need more.

GetMeAnIPA and brutalfarce like this.
  8. Brewday

That's where i'm confused. You want to clear a stout.

brutalfarce likes this.
  9. wasatchback

He probably wants the least amount of yeast in the beer as possible to minimize refermentation as much as possible.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  10. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (378) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I'd put new grade robust flavor maple syrup I. A secondary or after primary ferment is done and add a spiral of sugar maple wood to the keg. Not maple infused. Properly aged sugar maple wood will give a lot of maple flavor by itself with no fermenting?

Don't know how long the stout would be good seeing I have left maple wood in no longer that 4 weeks.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  11. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (181) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Just to expand on this a little, the grading system changed a few years ago. The old system prized light color over other qualities, which had come to be an outdated way of thinking about what makes for high quality syrup. (Under the old grading system, a lot of people said, "B is Best," because Grade B had a more robust maple flavor than Grade A. This was confusing to anyone who took the letter grades literally.) The old grades were done away with entirely (or I guess strictly speaking, they were all merged into "Grade A"), and now the labeling uses words to differentiate the syrup by color and degree of flavor/robustness.

So what I think GormBrewhouse is suggesting is to use syrup labeled "Dark Color and Robust Flavor," which roughly corresponds to old Grade B. This makes sense because old Grade A, which is now known as "Golden Color and Delicate Taste," would contribute relatively little in the way of maple flavor. And even "Amber Color and Rich Flavor" would probably not provide as much character as you are looking for.

[Edited to add a clarification: I'm simplifying the correspondence between the new grades and the old ones, it is actually more complicated than I indicated, but I think these details can be ignored.]

#11 minderbender, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  12. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (94) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I am interested in this kind of thing too and without going to adding maple when kegging, I have thought about using spirals. A guy in my homebrew club did a quarter spiral for 3 weeks and it was more woody than maple in many peoples opinions. It was still good, but I am interested in what kind of maple wood gets the best maple flavor.

pweis909 likes this.
  13. GetMeAnIPA

Exactly as @wasatchback stated to try and clear as much yeast out as possible to prevent it from fermenting the maple. I am not overly concerned with a clear stout even though I think the more partials that can be removed from suspension the better to create a cleaner beer. However, if I wasn’t using maple I would skip the gelatin.

14. GetMeAnIPA

So the only thing I can find is maple infused spirals like the one here: https://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/sugar-maple-infusion-spirals-2-pack-light-toast/

Well at least I think they are maple infused.

15. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (73) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I'd be surprised if those are non-maple spirals that are infused with sugar maple "essence". It's more likely they're made from sugar maple and spiral-cut to increase surface area and enhance 'infusing' the sugar maple characteristics to whatever liquid.
    If wood chips/cube made for grilling/smoking would work they're available on ebay and Amazon.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  16. GetMeAnIPA

That makes sense because it says “infusion” versus “infused”.

17. Brewday

I've always wanted to try putting the keg in hot water to kill the yeast but i'm not sure if this would be dangerous or screw the beer up.

18. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (378) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Yes, nicely done Mr Mindbender.

New grading system aledgidly used to increase sales. I never had a problem selling my product with the old system.

minderbender likes this.
  19. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (793) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

I’ve read of old German breweries who would do this. A sorta slow pasteurization. Something like 40 min. at 60°C. I used to have a pasteurization time/temp chart around here...

The primary concern would be speeding up staling by heat exposure. Heat damages beer pretty quickly. There’s a reason people use flash pasteurization nowadays. Still, if you ever do it, I’d be curious to hear the results!

20. JohnnyChicago

OP, for a beer that size, I’d recommend dosing in the keg. Removing as much yeast as you can and adding sulfites will help, but loading sugar in an unpasteurized beer is just asking for refermentation.
    I’d recommend fining in your fermenter and then racking the brite beer to the keg. Hook up the co2 to the beverage port, bubble co2 through, and add some syrup. Taste and add more if you feel like it needs it. You can age in your kegerator, but you are probably good to drink immediately.

21. GetMeAnIPA

Thanks.

Does the abv matter? As wasatch mentioned a higher abv beer would help to prevent refermentation. 12% would be too high but I could bump it to something like 10% if that helps

22. JohnnyChicago

It can help. I’ve heard some success with maple barrels retaining some syrup sweetness in big beers, but if just adding the syrup to finished beer, I don’t see any reason to try to make the beer warm shelf stable. Especially if you add coffee. Do any extended aging in the fermenter, then add your coffee and syrup to the keg. Further aging the beer at room temp is very unlikely to make it better and very likely to make it worse.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  23. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,737) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Let me bounce a thought... since maple sweetness ferments out, making it hard to find maple flavor when syrup is fermented, and since crystal malts can add sweetness to beer, is there a crystal malt out there that best compliments a maple syrup addition?

24. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,567) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

You could also go the route that @DrewBeechum recommends and use a fenugreek tincture

25. Brewday

I'm half German so that explains where i get these crazy thoughts but i will try it sometime.

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  26. MrOH

MrOH Champion (809) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

The best maple beer I've ever made was a BSDA. Used a fairly large (for me) amount of mid-range crystal for sweetness, just enough Special B for the low end of the color spectrum, Grade B maple for the sugar addition, and added a fenugreek tincture to taste.

donspublic and pweis909 like this.
  27. pweis909

Premium

Cool. I was at a tasting party tonight where everyone was passing around commercial pastry stouts. I didn’t know about the theme. My old ale and saison were mere palate cleansers by comparison (but appreciated for not being yet another bourbon vanilla coffee thing). Thinking something with maple to up my game with this crowd. The only time I tried it was back when I had fewer than 10 batches under my belt. I tried the fenugreek truck as per Radical Brewing and it added a maple aroma but offputting flavor. @DrewBeechum has suggested on his podcast that there are different varieties of fenugreek and some are grassy and not what you want. It could be that’s what I ended up with.

donspublic likes this.
  28. MrOH

MrOH Champion (809) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Fenugreek literally means "Greek hay", so grassiness isn't too surprising. It definitely adds a bitterness, no matter what variety you use.
    I made the tincture by toasting the seeds and soaking in bourbon. I think if I ever try to do this again, I'll try using a bourbon-soaked maple spiral as well.

As a side note, I've been to style-themed tastings as well, and I don't really like them. At a certain point, your palate just wears out tasting the same thing over and over. It's like being a beer judge, except there's no real "Hey, this brewer deserves a medal!" moment, just confirmation of biases about certain breweries, with a few surprises and disappointments mixed in.

pweis909 likes this.
  29. pweis909

Premium

Next to a bunch of pastry stouts, my grisette-style saison went down like water, but it was such a welcome change.

I just browsed the Wikipedia entry on fenugreek and it says seeds are sometimes roasted to reduce bitterness and enhance flavor. I do not know if the seeds I used came roasted. If they do not come roasted, that might be something to explore.