Vancouver + Banff/Canmore Beer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mountaindewORcrabjuice, Sep 5, 2018.

1. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (55) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Hey My BAs to the North,

I'm headed to Vancouver, Banff, and Canmore for my honeymoon next June and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions in regards to breweries, bars, specific beers, restaurants, outdoor activities, hockey-related things, etc. Would love any personal suggestions for must-try/visit beers, places, and activities.

Fair warning. I'm from Boston and a Bruins fan. I completely understand if you want to give me bad information or none at all. On the other hand, Pavel Bure was my idol growing up (I cried after Game 7 in '94... tears all over my Kirk McLean Fleer Ultra trading card) and personally have a distaste for the flat-out hockey ignorance of the majority of the Boston fanbase since 2011.

I know I'm pretty far out from my arrival, but any help would be really appreciated. If logistics work out, would love to share some New England beer (Tree House, Trillium, Hill Farmstead, etc.) with anyone when I get there in 2019.

Cheers!

Brian

p.s. How sick are you guys of people asking if/how someone can find Cantillon in Canada? On a totally unrelated note, where can I find some Cantillon in Canada?

Erik-P likes this.
  2. hoptemologist

hoptemologist Initiate (36) Jun 6, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

Cantillon all depends on timing which unfortunately isnt going to be June, Calgary it comes in April and Vancouver is random but not usually June, its coming this month this year. That said, you can find cantillon at my place in Vancouver that we could trade!

3. mountaindewORcrabjuice

Trader

Thanks for all the info! I know it's about 3/4 of a year away, but I'd be more than happy to bring some New England brews for ya. I'll be sure to check back in. Cheers!

4. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (993) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

For outdoor activities i'd say spend as much time as you can around Banff/Jasper. Do the icefields parkway up between them if you can. Tons and tons of hikes and if you're early enough in June you might beat the summer crowd. There are so many amazing things in the rocky mountain parks.

For beer, a lot can change in a year! Not a ton of stuff between calgary and vancouver but a few stops here and there (if you're driving). Plenty of stuff in Vancouver but i'd say check back closer to, as new breweries are popping up regularly here.

For loons i'd say post up some trades before you leave and you should get some takers for those east coast goodies. your best bet is probably through a FB group: Beer Trade Canada ISO:FT. Not a lot of canada trading happens on the BA forums

5. mountaindewORcrabjuice

Trader

Thanks for the suggestions and the heads up!

Erik-P likes this.
  6. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (3,586) Apr 2, 2005 British Columbia (Canada)

If you’d like to stop in kelowna on the way, I could try to get a few Cantillon for a trade. It’s pretty nice here in June!

Erik-P likes this.
  7. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (350) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

I heard Niagra Falls is really just a giant Cantillon tap. p.s. hit up the Vancouver thread closer to when you're headed out