[VANCOUVER] Fall/Winter '17-18

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JonnyBeers, Nov 26, 2017.

1. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (339) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

Stealing this idea from the PDX/SEA folks. This thread is mainly for people visiting Vancouver and the Great Metro area, and where they should check out. I've added highlights and mentions from the Spring/Summer thread. In general, these are spots you can get to in 90 minutes or less, depending where in Metro YVR you are of course. Some spots are better than others, but I'm confident you'll find something you'll enjoy at every spot listed.

If I've missed any 'must-dos' add it to the comments, and I'll add to the next version in 5-6 months once Spring is here.

Cheers!

Vancouver - WestEnd/Downtown (Using Main & Terminal as boundaries)
    Denman Beer Wine & Spirits, The Blind Sparrow, Blackbird Pub House, Viti Liquor Store, Rogue Wetbar Convention & Waterfront, Steamworks Liquor Store, Chambar, Devil's Ale & Smoke House, Wildebeest, Darby's Gastown, Orchard & The Sea (Great Cider!), Alibi Room, Boxcar/The American, Camp Upstairs

Vancouver - Eastvan/Commercial
    Strathcona Brewing & Superflux, Powell St Brewing, Callister Brewing, Storm Brewing, Doan's Craft Brewing, Parallel 49, High Point Liquor Store, Luppolo Brewing Co, Strange Fellow Brewing, Merchants Workshop, St Augustines, Tangent Cafe, Liberty Wine Merchants, Biercraft Commercial, Toby's Liquor Store,

Vancouver - Olympic Village/Mount Pleasant/Brewery Creek/Fraser

Legacy Liquor Store, Tap&Barrel, Cambie & 8th BCL, Firefly Liquor Store, Biercraft Bistro Cambie, Brewery Creek Liquor Store, 12 Kings Pub, Brassneck Brewery, Main Street Brewery, 33Acres Brewing, Cascade Room

Vancouver - Cambie East / South of 16th
    Bells & Whistles, Portland Craft, Bows & Arrows (coffee shop w beer), JAKS Beer Wine Spirits 41st Ave, 39th & Cambie BCL Signature Store, West Coast Liquor Fraser, Dogwood / Boombox Brewing

Vancouver - Kits/UBC/Kerrisdale
    Darby's Liquor Store, Kitsilano Liquor Store, Biercraft Wesbrook, West Coast Liquor Kerrisdale, JAK's Dunbar, Liberty Wine Merchants 10th Ave

Burnaby/New West
    Steamworks Brewery & Taproom, Bottle Jockey Liquor Store, Bainbridge Liquor Store, Hop & Vine Pub and Liquor Store, Dageraad Brewing, Steel & Oak Brewing, JAK's Liquor Store New West, Viti New West, Terminal Pub, 8th St Liquor Store, Hops New West

North Shore / West Van
    The Gull Liquor Store, 16th Street Liquor Store, Bridge Brewing, Deep Cove Brewing & Distillers

Richmond/Steveston/Delta
    Richmond Liquor Store, O'Hares Pub and Liquor Store, Hogshack BBQ, Kove Kitchen, Fuggles & Warlock Brewing, Four Winds Brewing

Surrey/Whiterock/Langley/Abby
    Central City Liquor Store, Pacific Liquor Store Fleetwood, Fleetwood BCL, Central City Brewing and Tasting Room, Sunshine Hills Liquor Store, 120 Liquor Pub & Liquor Store, Southpoint Liquor Store, Uli's Restaurant White Rock, B's Liquor Store Langley, Trading Post Brewing Langley, Field House Brewing Abby

Pomo/Coquitlam
    Twin Sails Brewing, Yellow Dog Brewery, Parkside Brewing, Moody Ales, Pacific Liquor Store Westwood, Burrard Public House, JAK's Liquor Store Lougheed

Squamish
    A Frame Brewing, Back Country Brewing, Howe Sound Brewing

Bellingham
    This is USA, but it's a great little city just half an hour south of the border. Plenty do do here for 1-2 days of beercation. Elizabeth Station, Structures, Aslan, Wander, Kulshan, Chuckanut, Boundary Bay, Melvin and many other new breweries and pubs.

Mista_Carta, Bunman3, NWer and 4 others like this.
  2. JonnyBeers

And I've already noticed one glaring omission.

Coalesce Brewing which is a side project of the Twin Sails head brewer is already putting out some of the best beers in the city. If you time it right you'll be able to find their beers for sale and maaaaybe on tap at Twin Sails.

Also check out Beere Brewing on the North Shore I've heard good things.

Steel Toad near Olympic Village also has hosted some great events and had great guest taps at one point.

comoxlandia and PaulQuinn like this.
  3. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (993) May 23, 2011 Washington

Any December releases I should be looking for while I’m in Vancouver the weekend of the 15th? Already have dinner reservations at Tavola and will be hitting Luppolo, Strathcona and Alibi in the afternoon.

4. JonnyBeers

Nothing specific I’m aware of. But Twin Sails tends to release something every weekend. Boombox usually does Saturdays. Super Flux might have something at Strathcona. Aside from that most places just publish on Instagram a few days before. Dageraad May have a new bottle or two they’ve been releasing more frequently. Brassneck has started canning too. Luppolo has Evoluta out in bottles not sure it’ll last that long but they’ve also started canning. Steel & Oak has a new brewers series so potentially that as well. Your best bet for new local stuff on taps is Alibi and Darbys Gastown.

There’s also tonnes of events lately so check the importers for tap takeovers via Beerthirst, Untapped, and Copper & Theory.

Highly recommend you check out Bells & Whistles. It’s fairly new but the team behind Wildebeest and they have an awesome focused beer list. Tilquin on tap today for example and Brekeriet.

distantmantra likes this.
  5. ajay

ajay Initiate (84) Jun 12, 2008 New Jersey

What a great resource - saves the "going to xxxx, what do do" threads.

Alas, I'm in town mid-week, so many of these releases will be gone or not yet available.

6. JonnyBeers

It really depends, not much sells out around here. I mean Twin Sails has 7-8 beers on any given weekend now. Most stuff will also hit retail, and although the downtown shops sell out fast, just a few minutes off the beaten path and the other shops will have stock.

Update: Just opened my Luppolo Evoluta (their 1yr anniversary beer) and it's fantastic! A bourbon BA dubbel. As of a couple days ago they still had bottles.

I'll also add, many coffee shops are starting to pour beers as well. Matchstick is another great local spot. Not sure if every location has taps but I know the guy picking beers in China town and that location is great.

#6 JonnyBeers, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  7. JonnyBeers

Maybe the best deal in BA stuff up here: https://www.northwestbeerguide.com/...m-steamworks-brewing-are-yours-for-the-taking

Steamworks gets a bad rep because of 'political stuff' let's call it, but lately have been putting out great stuff ever since the Flagship initial release (which since hasn't been as good imo). Always worth a look for new BA releases, which often are pretty quiet, and you likely won't have a prob finding em.

8. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (993) May 23, 2011 Washington

I agree about Steamworks. I used to ignore them every time up in BC but now always try to stop in at their pub to see what's available.

NWer likes this.
  9. ajay

ajay Initiate (84) Jun 12, 2008 New Jersey

Thanks all. Now what goodies to bring with me from the east coast...

10. JonnyBeers

Oh hey there. Founders Brewing now in BC. Kinda of. Not really distro'd here but The Gull in North Van did a special order and wow it actually showed up:

Doubt the KBS will last more than a couple days but the rest will likely hold on a couple weeks

#10 JonnyBeers, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  11. LampertLand

LampertLand Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Thanks to Johnny Beers for starting a new thread ,
    from the Island , Driftwood Brewery has announced the release of the 10th annual edition of its winter seasonal beer , Old Cellar Dweller Barley Wine (11.2% abv)
    It is available now at the Driftwood retail store and select liquor stores in Victoria and area,
    with distribution to Vancouver following next week.
    prost & happy hunting

12. JonnyBeers

Guess I could add Victoria. If you take a plane it doesn’t take 5 hours :slight_smile:

13. souvenirs

souvenirs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

I kind of wanted to get this year's P49/CC advent calendar, but it seems to be already pretty much sold out at the public stores in Vancouver. Does anyone know if any of the private stores still have them in stock? Or maybe P49 still has some?

14. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (982) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

15. JonnyBeers

CC liquor store had tonnes a couple days ago. Maybe check the brewery too.

16. souvenirs

souvenirs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

What's currently available in Vancouver that's got people excited?

17. crusian

crusian Crusader (763) May 14, 2010 Oregon

Any superflux stuff around? Looking for some amazing bc beer... finding some good stuff here and there, but still want something amazing!
    The Brett barleywine at breakneck was good...

18. JonnyBeers

Easy Tiger, Pretty Much Yeah, and Double Infinity Mosaic can still be found. Better bet outside of Vancouver at places like Jaks/Pacific. Denman might have.

19. Erik-P

Yep still some superflux kicking around at the private stores. Couple bellwoods releases have made it out here as well.

20. JonnyBeers

Bellwoods Barn Owl and White Picket fence were great.

Luppolo Alba is fantastic, 750ml bottles.

Persephone has a BA Barley Wine out now supposed to be good.

Twin Sails just released Space Armadillo again

Four Winds has Magnums!!! Of triplicity.

21. JonnyBeers

22. LampertLand

Singularity 2018 (12%) hits shelves starting today :slight_smile: in Victoria and Vancouver! This year’s Russian Imperial Stout has been aged for two months in Kentucky Bourbon barrels, giving it a delicious oak complexity, good for drinking now or cellaring for later...
    This beer is an extremely limited release so be sure to get yours today!

PaulQuinn and Erik-P like this.
  23. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

In years past, Singularity has been somewhat hard to get your hands on unless you got a store to hold some in advance or knew some "hidden gem" stores. This year I'm still seeing loads of it on shelves, even at hot stores. Did they bottle a significantly higher quantity this year or are people just not buying it?

24. JonnyBeers

People might still be buying it, but instead of 4-12 bottles each people get 1 or 2, or none. Too many other good options around, plus just more great beer in general. I bet they'd sell a crap tonne of variants if they weren't too stubborn to make them.

hoptemologist and Erik-P like this.
  25. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (294) Feb 4, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

Hey guys, I have a friend headed to Vancouver this weekend. Anything as far as releases and places to be you could recommend? Much appreciated!

26. Erik-P

no releases im aware of.. for places are they more looking for things to take home, or places to drink here? what area will they be in?

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  27. JonnyBeers

If they go to Alibi, Darby's GT, and/or Bells & Whistles they'll be set.

Back Country & Twin Sails just released a stout, should be able to find around. Back Country (new hazy club member) cans of Secret Handshake IPA just came out. Superflux Double Infinity Citra came out a couple weeks ago. Kitsilano seems to be a good place to find recent releases these days, Kits Liquor or Darby's Kits for shopping. I saw a whole bunch of stuff I didn't expect to still see at Firefly Cambie.

FYi Boombox is on an extended Christmas vacation unfortunately.

There's loads of great beer around town :sunglasses:

Oh ya! We just got a big shipment of Ale Apothecary, dropping all over town as of a couple days ago.

#28 JonnyBeers, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Mista_Carta and dabeerbuddha like this.
  28. dabeerbuddha

Thanks Eric. Appreciate the summary. Too bad about Boombox. Looks like they have an up coming collaboration with Superflux which should be interesting.

29. dabeerbuddha

Jonny! Early morning and just realized it was you who gave the in depth reply. Much appreciated. Appreciate the feedback from both of you. He'll be hitting some bars, visiting a couple breweries and hopefully bringing some bottles back :wink: .

30. hoptemologist

hoptemologist Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

Which Ale Apothecary bottles?? I am coming next week for work, just joined the Ale Club for 2018

31. JonnyBeers

There's a few on shelves from the last order, Sahalie, Carpe Diem, El Cuatro, La Tache. The new ones are Spruce Sahalie, Garden Strawberry, Faerie Tears, Be Still, Ralph, Red Echo.

You probably won't find them all in one shop, but The Gull and Firefly I saw a few of the older ones last week, yet to see the new ones on the shelf but they just came in, should be around soon if not already.

#32 JonnyBeers, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    hoptemologist likes this.
  32. hoptemologist

Awesome! Ordered faerie tears and garden strawberry for when I come in on Tuesday from the gull, may or may not get be still but already have three coalesce bottles to fit in my carry on size bag also

33. JonnyBeers

34. JonnyBeers

Looks like Farmhouse Fest tickets will sell out today or tomorrow.

Tonnes of new releases out these days. Boombox and Superflux collab Pabol Esco Gnar is awesome and I highly recommend you search it out.

Coalesce has a release on Saturday, tried it on tap at Dageraad when they released their Preamble collab, both great!

A new side project called Temporal (out of Luppolo) has filled all their barrels so keep an eye on them, Tristan is doing good things!

35. bdom25

bdom25 Initiate (18) Feb 27, 2017 Wisconsin

I am heading to the Yaletown area in Vancouver towards the end of May. Any must see brew pubs or breweries while I'm there?

Staying in downtown Yaletown, will most likely not have a car. Willing to cab a bit if needed.

36. JonnyBeers

Always worth repeating how small the Vancouver downtown core is. You can literally walk from Denman St (near Stanley Park) to BC Place (the stadium) in 30-35 minutes.

Almost ALL of Vancouver, depending on time of day, can be reached by cab in less than 20 minutes.

That said, if you're in Yaletown, you can walk to Alibi Room, Darby's Gastown, Strange Fellows, Luppolo, Strathcona/Superflux, Callister, Powell St, Doans, Andina, 33 Acres, Brassneck, Main St and probably a few other spots all in 20-40 minutes, or a 5-10 min cab and/or Car2Go if you have it.

Skytrain wise you can also hop on and be plenty of places quick, like Dageraad Brewing.

Again, Downtown is SMALL. Do not spend all your beer time there or you will be missing out heavily. Yaletown/Steamworks brewpubs are closest but I can't remember the last time I went to either...

Your best bet for close breweries imo are Brassneck, 33 Acres, or the East Van Ones (Luppolo, Strange Fellows, etc)

Your best bet for close beer bars imo are Alibi Room and Darby's Gastown.

bdom25 likes this.
  37. hoptemologist

Cantillon land in Victoria this week? I heard Nath is there...

38. bdom25

bdom25 Initiate (18) Feb 27, 2017 Wisconsin

Thank you!

39. LampertLand

Cascadia Quadra was visited by Nath , sold out of some , still some in stock , Ann posted on website : Kriek 100% Lambic , Rosé de Gambrinus , Classic Gueuze & Nath (2017)

PaulQuinn likes this.