VentMatic Faucets

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by OddNotion, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I am looking to upgrade the faucets on my dual tap kegerator to forward seal faucets. I have been looking at the VentMatic faucets that have recently began being sold again: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3277

Has anyone used these (either in the past or the new ones)? I would like to hear experiences with these and how they compare to the similar Perlick faucets.

Side note: If anyone has similar info about rotary faucets post that here too. I like how they look and they seem to work well at the bars/brewpubs I have seen using them but I am not sure if the cost is justified. http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/taps-faucets-pid-4933ROTO.html

2. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (295) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

They're back! That's awesome! I have four of the Shirron version (they were called VentMatic, so I assume they were authentic). Since I've never used Perlicks, I can't comment on how they compare. Someone did a comparison, with photos, a few years ago. I'll see if I can find the link. But, assuming these are, indeed, the same quality as the older ones, I can say, with some authority, that they're everything they're cracked up to be.

Nice find.

3. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Yeah I was reading up on all faucets and came across some threads from like 2007-2010 elsewhere that these things were great. However, as with all dated information I wanted to know about fellow homebrewer's experiences and opinions. From the looks of it, this is a different manufacturer but the same product. Can you explain what you like/dislike about them (or compare them to the annoying rear sealing faucets that are so common) since you have a decent amount of experience with them?

They seem to be at a reasonable price for SS and for the reputation they have/had.

4. mikehartigan

Likes: they work as advertised (they completely eliminated the sticking problem I had with my old faucets), they're easy to disassemble and clean, 100% SS, they look good, and, until now it seems, they were unique (they make my brew friends go ahhhhh!).
    Dislikes: small o-rings and nylon washers are easily lost (hasn't happened yet), parts are unavailable (maybe no longer), and they suddenly lack exclusivity!

When I bought mine, they were typically selling for $40-45. I got them new from a local ebay merchant for $27 each, shipped, as I recall. I would consider $34.99 to be a very good price.

Here's the link I promised:
    http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44134

OddNotion likes this.
  5. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Thanks for the insight!

After reading over that link, it looks like VentMatic takes the cake (from that author's POV). These sound really good, I will likely go for these. I also like that they will have the option to switch out nozzles (when they become available). Do they fit on a standard shank or do they need something different?

6. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (240) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

I have Perlicks and have never used the Ventmatics but from what I remember reading they are both very good quality faucets. If you can buy cheaper than Perlicks, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd stick with the company that has been around without any hiatus.

7. mikehartigan

They fit standard shanks. I bought 8mm spouts from a guy who was making them at a local machine shop. He had an Internet presence at the time. I'll see if I can dig that up.

FYI, all of my comments are based on the assumption that these are, indeed, the 'same' faucets.

8. OddNotion

Beer Trader

At least according to that website they are the same. I can only hope they are as they were well regarded in years past.

9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,229) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

They look, and appear to be just like perlicks to me..

I do like the tips you can put with them, but don't find that to be all that important.

They appear priced right in line with SS perls anyways, and assuming the patent design they fought for, I would assume they are of just as high a quality.

10. mikehartigan

If they are the same as the Ventmatics that were available up until five years or so ago, then they are of a higher quality than the Perlicks, and they are of a very different design than the 'Perl'. The interchangeable spouts are very important to accommodate different serving pressures/volumes of CO2. I bought 8mm spouts to address the issue of a 'hollow' pour (as I recall, 10 or 11 mm was standard). Perhaps the Perlick spout is suitably sized by default.

11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,229) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

How is the design very different..? Says they filed suit against Perlick for a similar/same design?

I'm not currently in the market for faucets since I've got a perlick 525SS set up on my system, but I'm thinking about building another smaller one for the back porch for next year, and would look at another 2 faucets for out there.

The tip idea is great though for the lower psi and carb level beers. I have experienced the "hollow" pour sometimes on a few beers. More like it was falling out of the faucet, versus being pushed out.

12. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Defender (602) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is relevant to my interests. I had planned on getting Perlicks, but people seem to really like these. As stated, my concern would be the continued availability of parts.

I'm looking at getting faucets some time in Feb. so I have some time to decide. But these are definitely on my radar now.

13. mikehartigan

The 'Perl' line of faucets, as I understand it (and I could be wrong), was an effort to move away from the legal issues associated with the original patented VentMatic design. Looking through their catalog, it appears that they no longer produce the older 'VentMatic' type faucet with the sliding valve that is described in the comparison that I cited, above (so that comparison is of no value today). The new VentMatics bring back that design.

As to the specifics of the Perl faucet, this is from Perlick's website:
    "[...] It's (sic) revolutionary Perl ball and floating O-ring design eliminates the need for a valve shaft. [...] The Perl faucet has fewer internal parts for better reliability and fewer service calls. A polished interior produces a smooth flow with less foaming. [...]"

14. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,219) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I have the Ventmatics and love them. I was bummed they were gone for a while.

Full disclosure, I've never had a Perlick, but years ago when the Ventmatics were available, word on the street was they were the best.

OddNotion likes this.
  15. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Defender (602) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

16. OddNotion

Beer Trader

17. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (476) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

I have Perlick 525's and have been happy with them. No leak problems like people have reported. After disassembling them and cleaning I have had to double check the bonnet tightness to stop a drip or two, but other than that they have been good for me.

PortLargo and OddNotion like this.
  18. rawlus

rawlus Initiate (121) Sep 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I have several perlicks which are top quality and work great. I also have one of the Flow Control Easy Pour rotary faucets. It is a great faucet with the best flow control mechanism I have ever used. It's very useful for dialing in serving pressure and works much better than other flow control mechanisms like the perlick one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.