Vermont Advice

Discussion in 'New England' started by Moopband, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moopband

Moopband Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2010 New York

Going to be traveling through Vermont and want to get everyone's opinion on where to stay.

We will be staying definitely one night in Burlington and then were considering staying one night in Montpelier or Waterbury or a 2nd night in Burlington with a day trip to one of the previously mentioned places.

Basically want to see whether Waterbury/Montpelier are pretty walkable towns with a concentrated area or bars and restaurants or if it just makes sense to use Burlington as our main spot.

Thanks everyone!

2. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (909) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

They are both very walkable towns, but the issue with staying in Burlington is getting back there after enjoying the different watering holes. If you're coming up for beer, staying in Waterbury one night would be my pick.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  3. xanok

xanok Aspirant (284) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

Outside of beer stuff, Burlington is definitely the superior town. But even at the beer level, Burlington is competitive. Farmhouse Tap and Grill in is awesome, as is Folino's/Fiddlehead Brewery close by in Shelburne. Last time I was at Farmhouse, there were multiple Hill Farmstead offerings plus Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. I don't feel like you miss that much by not spending much time in Waterbury.

4. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

I'd say do one in each. If you're looking for walkable while in Waterbury, the big three bars/pubs are on the same street. It's easy hit all the "go-to" craft places in one night in burlington and Waterbury the next. If you like German beers, check out Trapp Family Lodge before you settle in Waterbury.

5. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,111) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

On a related note, How's the walk from downtown Waterbury to the Best Western at 2 am ish? It looks like I can avoid stumbling up SR 100 by walking up Stowe street. I'm guessing the odds of a cab are none to none?

6. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

We made this walk from Blackback to the BW in Nov. Wasn't bad at all after a long night of drinking. Takes about 10 - 15 mins.

NickDrista and JakerLou like this.
  7. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I like the adventure in walking past the I-89 ramps. though stowe st. is the safer bet.

ChrisMyhre and JakerLou like this.
  8. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

The walk to Best Western is no problem, just be careful and bring a flashlight if you want.

jamesewelch and JakerLou like this.
  9. natejohnson126

natejohnson126 Initiate (30) Mar 20, 2013 Vermont

Bring a flashlight, it can be dark as hell on Stowe St at night.

10. Flashy

I'm telling you Waterbury area Vermonters- there is a decent living to be made starting a local Waterbury cab company. One car or van, ferrying people locally.

Givemebeer, Providence and timotao like this.
  11. Moopband

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried getting in tough with Stagecoach but the guy is pretty adamant about not letting me stay for one night only. I think I may be looking into staying in a neighboring town (AirBNB) and driving into Waterbury (girlfriend is a DD) since there is a lack of cabs from what I can tell.

12. Flashy

There is always Little River State Park. You have a DD that does not mind driving, there are plenty of nice places within 15 minutes I am sure. Check out the Trapp Family Lodge on Priceline, you might get lucky.

13. Moopband

Don't want to start a new thread so I want to ask here - if traveling to Hill Farmstead on a Saturday, what time should I be there if I want to get out there quickly and start my drive to Maine?

14. philhyde

philhyde Disciple (381) Jul 22, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

dunix and jamesewelch like this.
  15. Flashy

Little bit before they open I would imagine. Most of those type places don't want people showing up to early- I would imagine that Mr. Hill is amongst them.

16. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Initiate (155) Dec 17, 2004 South Carolina

Old Stage Coach and the Best Western get Heady Topper on tap. The BW restaurant looked like a good menu too if you get lazy. Also Blue Stone Pizza has a few good beers and very good pizza.

17. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (629) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

you're going to wait regardless.
    you can get there around 10 and be out by 12:15ish or you can get there at 12 and not leave till 2-3ish...

brikelly likes this.
  18. Kevinhcraig

Kevinhcraig Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Florida

What is the wait for? Is there typically a line to get in just to get beer on draft?

I will be visiting VT this weekend and am unsure how HF operates. Any advice would be appreciated!

19. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

Line is for bottle and growler fills. You can get samples poured while waiting in line. There's no tours and no pints/glasses (other than samplers).

20. Kevinhcraig

Kevinhcraig Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Florida

Thanks! EDIT: Nevermind I misread your original post :stuck_out_tongue:

I see they no longer take 32oz growlers. Being from FL, that is all I have :slight_frown: Guess I will have to purchase some 64 ouncers once in VT.

21. JakerLou

Society

If I make it to Hill Farmstead between one and two on a Saturday will I be able to make one trip through the line? He asked hopefully...

22. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

As long as you get in line before 5pm you'll make it through the line once.

JakerLou likes this.
  23. Flashy

The don't fill swing top growlers either.

24. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (267) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

750's that is. Their own 2l growlers are swing top

25. owend

owend Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2009 New Hampshire

The 750 are also swing top at HF. They won't fill German-style swing tops, the ones with the big metal handle, metal, or clear growlers.

http://hillfarmstead.com/growlers/

ncaudle likes this.
  26. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Aspirant (250) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont
    Trader

They are all swingtops, what the hell are you guys talking about?[​IMG]

27. bahnfire

I believe they are referring to "flip-top" growlers like below:
    [​IMG]

iwantmorehops likes this.
  28. Flashy

ncaude and bigstein88 might like the post but HF does not fill the standard German 2L swing growler.

29. Moopband

Another question. Tried to ask on Winooski Beverage facebook but didn't get an answer. They get a shipment of Heady on Thursdays and split their allotment at 10 and 6. My question was if I go to the 6PM release and get their early will I still be able to get a case or do they sell the cases only at 10AM.

30. Flashy

Quick question. Taking my wife to Waterbury on a Friday early next month. Probably getting into town around 5:30, a chance of finding 4 packs of HT at that hour on a Friday? Don't want to raise my wifes suspicions by seeming anxious.

31. bahnfire

Cases both times. Sometimes if the line is long enough the first 10-20 get cases and the rest get 1/2 cases.

32. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (267) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

you're absolutely right. for some crazy (lack of coffee in the morning) reason, I was thinking the smaller bottles ran foul of the "no 32oz" rule but that's obviously not true.

carry on....nothing the see here :flushed:

Flashy likes this.
  33. Moopband

Thanks guys ! This thread has been incredibly helpful to me. Can't wait to see Vermont for the first time. Also very happy that my Kane growlers are exact matches for Hill Farmstead so that I can just use those.

34. Flashy

Stagecoach had single Friday nights open due to a group staying Saturday and Sunday first weekend in Sept.

35. Moopband

The guy at Stagecoach told me that if there was a room open for just Friday by the Wednesday before (in October) I can stay for just one night. However, I didn't want to risk it, so I booked an AirBNB that's like a 7 minute drive from Prohibition Pig, etc.

36. Flashy

Shame. I was surprised when he told me I could just get a Friday. We some get some BA's together and open a taxi company in Waterbury- i'm telling ya.

37. JakerLou

Society

Thanks to everyone who suggested bringing a flash light. Very useful. There are sidewalks and street lights but there was a stretch of a few hundred feet where the lights weren't working. It was really dark and there are cracks and little craters everywhere, super easy to twist an ankle.

The last 150 feet up the hotel driveway is a killer. I can only imagine what that little stretch of road is like in the winter, people must slide into SR 100 all the time. Yikes!

Flashy likes this.
  38. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (301) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire

Well, I liked the post as it was correct. Now yours is too, which is great. With all the different growlers out there I think it is very misleading to say "they don't fill swing tops" because, in fact, they do, just not certain kinds.

39. Flashy

I stand corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.